Trapeze for new guy

So fairly new to yoyo, I have a YYF One and I am confounded by trapeze. I seem to be able to do solid throw, and solid breakaway with a good sleep and straight. I seem to be able to land the trapeze with some regularity, but it almost always results in a dead stop. The yoyo is set up responsive as I am still in beginner stage. No matter what, when I land it, it just stops sleeping.
Wrong yoyo? More and more practice? little help…? Thoughts?

I think you need a new bearing/lube your bearing. I can’t think of any other reason other than this. Try one of these things and let me know how it goes.

Thanks, I will give it a try…

you may find you have to spin it faster than you are used to for a break away. it sounds like you are just running out of steam, try (carefully) throwing harder to get a faster spin. you can do a trapeze with a fixed axle, but you are working against a lot of friction.

The one is not fixed axel though?
I feel like I get a pretty good sleep out of breakaway…??

no, it is not fixed, my point is just that it even with a responsive yoyo you can do the trick, you just have to have enough spin to offset the friction, because you loose spin very quickly in the trapeze mount.

Ahhh, understood. Thanks for the advice. Will try.
I am tempted to swap out bearing and go right to unresponsive and work on bind. I feel like I am sticking the trapeze, but getting frustrated. I may work on bind instead and jump ahead. I was going to hold off unresponsive play for a while and start some string tricks first, but I feel now like I may need some satisfaction in sticking the tricks. I kind of really wanted to have responsive play well in hand (no pun) before going unresponsive. But I know I will most likely end up there anyway…

I don’t think there’d be any harm done if you jump ever so slightly ahead on this occasion. I actually think learning to bind before you start more tricks is good, so you can bind back up without having to re-tie the thing back up Every. Single. Timeeee which can waste quite some time.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I am going to stick it out a little while longer in hopes to nail it with responsive set up. I cleaned the bearing which made it noisier if nothing else. Sleeps little better but still losing the sleep when I land the trapeze. I don’t want to blame the yo yo…yet. I will give it a bit more time than switch to non responsive and see what happens. I want to give the practice, practice, practice method a chance first.

By "clean the beating do you just mean “clean it” or did you lube it with something? I don’t think just cleaning a beating makes a difference in anything XD

Cleaned the bearing. No lube.

Oh I hear ya. When I started learning unresponsive yoyoing I spent the first week winding up my yoyo by hand after almost every throw. It’s easy to forget how hard a bind was when we were first learning.

One thing which I’ve noticed and which I still struggle with, is the string plane. The yoyo is a gyroscope so it naturally wants to spin in a specific plane once you throw it. If your yoyo string is tilted by having one hand either too far forward or back or if you’re holding your hands low near your waist instead of high near your chest then the string is not in the same plane as the yoyo and that will really slow down the spin. It will also cause your yoyo to tilt.

So if you find that your either missing the trapeze and have to swing it around a 2nd time to catch it OR that your yoyo is tilting then you may not have your hands in alignment and that could be slowing down your spin.

Good information!
Thanks, no harm in just trying, fail, repeat. I have landed it a couple times now and it continued to sleep. Still seems like it mostly just wants to stop as soon as I land it.

I really, want to learn with a responsive set up, then move up. Just not sure if this was the yoyo to use. I assume the bearing is smaller (width)for responsive setups?
Does that make sense or just jump to unresponsive?

I don’t think there is a reason to learn responsive first, other than the tricks you can do with it that you can’t do with a non-responsive yoyo, and maybe becoming a bit familiar with yoyoing as a whole. I’m not quite sure why you want to learn responsive before non-responsive so badly XD! You defintely sound like you’re close to ready for non-responsive, I’d say go with it.

Yes, responsive bearings are thinner than non-responsive ones. This is so the string is closer to the response pads that allow you to bring the yoyo back up to your hands with just a tug. String close to response pads = you can hook onto the pads by giving the yoyo a tug. String farther away from response pads (bigger yoyo bearings) = the string isn’t close enough to hook onto the pads by just tugging. Sorry if I went a little over, or if some of this was self-explanatory XD

Try posting a video of you doing it if possible, we’ll be able to diagnose your problem a little easier!

I’m pretty sure André made most of the videos in the learn section with a stock, responsive Dark Magic (but, he is André).

For me, the string plane that was previously mentioned was my biggest challenge. I would often unintentionally pinwheel or just as often miss on the inside. What I did to get the muscle memory was hold both elbows against my body when practicing trapeze. Somehow, it worked for me and I was able to move away from that.

Maybe try a thunder string??

To help with landing trapeze consistently and help the string plane issue, try to keep your non-throw hand pointer very close to the yoyo as it comes around for the landing. This makes a short string segment connected to the yoyo so it can’t wander too far from the string plane. Also, the long string segment connecting your hands (the string you’re landing on) is longer making any misalignment of your hands have less of an effect on the string plane.

I still play responsive sometimes for fun. All the intermediate tricks and many of the advanced tricks are possible with a responsive yoyo (just don’t try any whips :D)

It seems to me (and I don’t think I’m alone) that learning responsive helps you to play cleaner when you do make the switch over to unresponsive. You have to make sure your slack is pinched, or held just so, so the yoyo doesn’t bind and return, and when you don’t have to worry about that anymore (i.e., when playing unresponsive), you’ll already have the habit of doing it anyway, and your play will look much less sloppy. But that’s just how it seems to me.