Man On Trapeze

Hi!

I just can’t master man on trapeze! The yoyo keeps returning to my hand when it’s about to land?

Anyone got advice?

Thanks!

Magic_boy

It’s snapping back at you.

You’re probably involuntarily pulling your throwhand back as the yoyo comes around. Also, if your yoyo has an adjustable gap, try loosening it a bit.

In addition to what Xdohl said, you might also want to put some focus on not letting the string go slack as the yoyo swings around your freehand index finger. If you’re using a responsive yoyo (it sounds like you are), then just a slight bit of slack getting caught in the gap could cause it to snag and come back to your hand.

Gonna try for my first answer.

Ya’ll ready for this?

THIN LUBE!

Yeah.

I win.

And it does sound like you are using a responsive yoyo. Try widening the gap, or take your yo apart and put some thin lube on the bearing.

Don’t tell me how terrible my answer is, it’s my first one. ;D

Sorry, but I feel obligated to do this, for I won’t stand for misinformation.

YYJ Think Lube makes the yoyo MORE responsive. That would make his problem worse. The bearing slows down due to the lube, and will come back easier. Do NOT lube the yoyo.

Think Lube? Wow does it make you smart or something? It is amazing what modern technology can do, Intelligent lubrication! I for one am just blown away by think lube!

and quinton, why is it that all my completely responsive yoyo’s can do trapezes? You do not need an unresposive yoyo to do a trapeze.
Try loosening the gap a little bit

Thin, thin thin thin, there is no K! Thin lube means less response

He was making a bad joke about my spelling error.

And no, thin lube does not mean less response. Thin lube means less response in relation to that of thick lube. It will still make your yoyo more responsive.

Oh okay. Handy Info there! Thanks!

back to the original question:
make sure you are throwing straight. if it isn’t straight, the string could be rubbing against the response system making it come back. you may want to mention what yoyo you are using.

He’s using a Journey, so the response shouldn’t be a problem. Just make sure your gap is loosened.

I am a rookie myself. My recommendation is to work on your breakaway - until its straight and returns to your shoulder. I still have problems with consistency of my sleeper and my breakaway. You can’t build tricks from flawed basics.

I also follow ed’s advice and play my DM a responsive as possible to learn stuff the “right way” before I try ‘unresponsive’ which I suspect will hide a rookie’s problems.

Just an opinion.

That’s not handy info at all.

Thin lube, when used in conjunction with breaking in your bearing, will decrease response on an already lubed bearing. Thin lube helps to break in a bearing like a YYJ one with lots of gunky factory lube, but it will increase response on an already fast spinning bearing, like a SPEC.

Yes, just a touch of YYJ thin lube on your Journy bearing should thin out the response and help you break it in. ;D

What kind of yoyo is it? if it is responsive then it might just be that…OR you arent throwing a wide enough arc on your breakwaway.

I had troubles doing the Trapeze at first, then I learnt a little trick which gets me to land it every time.

What you do is, throw a realy strong and wide angled breakaway, as it is swinging down and around, have your non throw hand index finger about where the middle of the string/2/3rds of the way down, as you feel the string come up and hit the finger, DRAG your finger down the string towards the yoyo, this will cause it to snap around, and on to the string :smiley:

I find that when a lot of people start, they try to aim their catch finger to make it jump over and on to the string…causing them to miss a lot of the time, where as if you drag it along the string, it will cause the end to shoot over faster, AND straighter.

If it is snapping back to your hand you may want to try throwing a stringer breakaway or get a non responsive yoyo.