I am a beginner and i am using an un-responsive yo-yo. Is this right?

I started about a week ago, and i’m getting pretty good.

I have a Dark Magic II and i have changed the bearing to an un-responsive one.

I found the responsive bearing to last about 20secs spinning time, then gradually tilted and stopped.

Which is better to use?

Or does it need some lube?

Since you are a beginner, I would recommend working on your throw, and then im sure the spin times will be much longer. If you feel more comfortable with the unresponsive bearing, use that. But since you are a beginner I would recommend using the responsive bearing until you master binding. So basicly, keep using the responsive bearing until you know how to bind, and work on your throw and youll be fine. ! :smiley:

1 Like

I know how to bind, but i’m not sure how to finish off a trick :-/
Lets say i do a trapeze? Do i finish the trick off by swinging in off the string then letting it dangle in sleep, then bind?
Or bind when i have it in trapeze?

you can do it eather way u get a more smooth bind when you pop it off the string

Just swing it from the trick, continue the swing it into a back bind. Yeah, if you find yourself in a trapeze and want to finish it, just bind from there. There isn’t really a wrong or right way or a wrong time to bind, it’s all preference.

Make up your own tricks :smiley:

do whatever you want. yoyoing is about having fun and being creative. if you wanted, you could swing it over into a 1.5 trapeze mount (not the same as a 1.5), grind on your Throw hand for a sec, pop it into the air and it’d bind. (i highly doubt you can do this at this point, its just an example)

the only “right way” is the way you’re enjoying yourself, if you prefer unresponsive play, go for it and never look back.

I did the same, knowing that I’ll go back to responsive play eventually, which I recently did, but it was a choice, not an obligation

the best choice is always the one you want to do, the one that will make you enjoy the most of it.

Starting out with an unresponsive yo-yo is perfectly fine. I actually have three friends who got started by borrowing my Legacy and Dark Magic. As long as you’re fine with it, stick to it.

As for finishing tricks, don’t worry about that so much for now. It’s better to work on the actual trick itself. Eventually as you get better you’ll figure out ways to finish tricks smoothly.

1 Like

Yeah, just do whatever you want. Since you are starting unresponsive, take a good look at this video. It’ll teach you a lot of ways to bind from different mounts:

But before you go on to harder tricks, work on your sleeper and breakaway. The most common problem for people who start out unresponsive is that they can’t get long spin times on those two tricks. Make sure you can throw them straight and hard, so it stays spinning for a long time even with complex string wraps that you’ll get into later on.

Have fun!

ryan monson…r.i.p.

i would start out responsive. if anythin’, it’ll smooth out your play and you’ll find it easier to tackle tricks on an unresponsive or responsive yo yo.

for me, responsive play makes me adhere to the plane of play. any unnecessary movement, jerk of the string, misplaced slack, etc. will make the yo yo bite. i’ve developed a deeper appreciation and understandin’ of yo yo tricks through responsive play…but that’s just me.

as stated - whatever you have the most fun w/, is what you should stick w/.

mgodinez

cloudy…

I started out on unresponsive play and have had no problems in the year that I have been throwing. A word of encouragement. If you feel like the breakaway is impossible, Like I did, Its not haha just stick with it until you can get a nice strong throw. And as stated I wouldn’t worry about how you end the trick until you are comfortable with the actual trick itself.

thanks for the post I was going to ask something similar myself. :slight_smile: