Toy you wanted as a kid but never got

In the mid-1970’s Evel Knievel, the stunt guy, was all the rage and the toys based on him were hot items. I really wanted the Sky Cycle and even carried around a photo of it from a toy catalogue. When I finally scraped up the $9.99 for it and my mom took me to the store to buy it, it had sold out everywhere! I could buy one now online but it just wouldn’t be the same. That window is now closed. I still feel a little ache when I see photos of the Sky Cycle. What toys did you want as a kid but never got?

13 Likes

Gumby dammit

6 Likes

An E1NS… wait that’s now…

3 Likes

The wheel on that looks like the old SSP race cars with the zip strip!

My brothers and I had all four of the cars in the video. So fun!

I don’t really remember wanting toys as much as I wanted to be outdoors and always building things. What I do remember is wanting to use power tools to build bike ramps and forts and my dad had a progression list of tools I had to learn to use safely, before I could touch a power tool. Looking back, it was awesome! I remember so many days using and proving that I could use those tools safely. Finally I realized that I was allowed to use tools, and knew how to use tools, way before my friends.

6 Likes

It was YoYos. That’s why when I turned 30 something I bought my first Duncan. The rest is history.

4 Likes

Wow! Those old SSP cars! I don’t think I’ve heard of or even thought of them since the early 70’s!!!

1 Like

A stick.

1 Like

The old Mortal Kombat action figures from the ‘90s. I was really fortunate growing up and my parents spoiled me so I shouldn’t complain, but for some reason that was the one toy line I really wanted and never got.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Yea, nothing like hot metal and low melting point toys for me!!! Man I can even smell it right now. Good times!!

7 Likes

I had hardly any toys as a kid, so I wanted loads. Me and my brothers mostly had sports gear.

I wanted a remote control car that actually had proper controls. Me and my brothers only had ones that could reverse in a circle or go forward in a straight line. Guess that model was cheaper.

5 Likes

Had many but couldn’t afford much so I had to improvise…I always envied those kids who had those large playsets for their action figures or how things looked in the commercials where kids would be having their figures duking it out. That said, one of the things I wanted as a kid was Mighty Max. It was one of those things you could literally take anywhere but pieces were so stupid small that it wouldn’t take much effort for me to lose them. Other large playsets were also much too pricey so I lived off of cardboard fortresses or my Castle Grayskull I got as a hand-me-down from my cousin (with a box full of various action figures).

As I got a little bit older and was getting into yoyoing, I began to see that metal yoyos existed. There were many I wanted but a kid in the 90s couldn’t even think of the idea of throwing down $100 on a yoyo ($100 in 1998 felt like a fortune) but that Cold Fusion was very enticing. So was the Custom Yoyos Reactor (that was a $20 metal). My parents flipped when they found out I spent that much on my Raider back then so I knew this wasn’t going to happen. A few months ago though I did finally fill that childhood dream of the Custom Reactor.

5 Likes

Sports gear is good.

3 Likes

I can only vaguely remember this ball thing I saw on tv. I don’t remember what it was exactly but I wanted it so bad. My dad said sure. I waited forever for it. Weeks went by with me checking the mail about three times daily. I’m starting to think he never ordered it…

2 Likes

Not a toy but my nearest Walmart had a cowboy hat I was DYING to get. I begged my parents non-stop for a couple of weeks going on and on about how much I wanted the damn thing.
I was obsessed.

My parents finally cracked. Wore it around the house for 1 day then realized I was WAY to embarrassed to wear it outside of the house and never touched it again.

I love my parents haha. :heart:

5 Likes

I always wanted Legos, but Legos were expensive and we were really poor. Now that I am old and retired, I have bought a bunch of Lego sets. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I want that star destroyer so bad!!!

2 Likes

A Lionel train and a Red Rider BB gun. You’ll shoot your eye out…

6 Likes

I was fortunate enough to have pretty many LEGOs, but always wanted the cool big Technic sets.

4 Likes

Clackers? I wanted them, and remember trying them out. We pretty much only got toys for our birthday or X-mas, and I guess they weren’t a priority when those dates rolled around.

4 Likes