TOO MUCH STRING

@TotalArtist,

How easily can you see that black string in shaded areas or dim light when playing? It would look sharp on many of my throws.

Y’know, you could always send me some unused string :wink:

I have some pretty dim lighting at home, and I can see it great. But, I have to admit that I threw a little bit at Throwdown Contest, just standing around in the dimmer lighting there, and I was missing a lot more. The light is definitely a factor, and the backdrop too.

I guess I’d suggest that when it comes to black string, try some out first, before you buy. I think all our eyes are different, and respond to seeing the string differently too. But, when you try some out, give it time and don’t give up on it the first time. Use the string until it’s done, because your eyes will adjust to seeing it after awhile. Then, you’ll know if it’s something you’d like to use more often.

I will admit, that because I like to take photos, the black string really sets off a lot of throws. It looks good on absolutely every throw. If you want to try some black, feel free to hit me in the PMs.

:smiley: I usually end up skimming off the pile and giving some away when it gets too crazy. If you could use some, definitely hit me in the PMs.

Not joking :slight_smile:

i was going to buy some black string from YYE when i got my shutter, but it was all sold out…

i wonder why

1 Like

I’ve tried a handful of different strings. First was YYF poly, which was fine to start. Also bought some Duncan (maybe?) poly around the same time. Those were just 10 packs, and they got me by just fine for beginning unresponsive tricks.

My first bulk purchase was a 50 pack of YYE Expert strings, in the dark blue color. I bought them because they matched the blue color of the Deep Space Summit that I bought in the same purchase. I didn’t really like them because they were too thin for my liking.

My next bulk purchase was a 100 pack of lime green Blueprints. I really liked these at first, their feel and play was phenomenal for me.

When ordering my Prague Mystery Pack, I also threw in 10 Type X, and 10 CLYW Slackline poly. I reeeeeeally liked the length of those, which pretty much ruined the 80+ Blueprints that I had left. I liked the Type X when they were fresh a whole lot, but they frayed out and got too soft too fast for my liking. I liked the feeling of the Slackline more so, because it was rougher like the Blueprints, but longer lasting and had the length I liked.

Then, my preference in throws led me to want a Markmont.Next. That kind of sprung from my extreme want of the Markmont.Classic. So when I started lining up a deal for a Next, I bought 50 Dragon strings. Because I was impressed with Markmont’s style and whatnot, I wanted to experience the Next in the way that it was intended, with Dragon strings.

When I first got the Dragons, I was a bit worried. They were wayyyy different than everything else that I had tried. Way more slick. But they whipped and slacked like crazy, instantly bumping my Brent Stole consistency from like 50% up to high 90’s%, and suicides from like 10% to near 40%.

In addition to the huge whip and slack consistency boost that I saw, the durability impressed me even more. At first I was worried that I spent near $50 on string that I wasn’t going to like. But then the whip and slack ability, combined with their longevity, sold me really really quickly.

The longevity is really friggen impressive. I had seen people touting the longevity of pretty much any premium string over bulk stuff. But the Type X and Slackline didn’t last long enough compared to Blueprint to justify the cost for me. So I was skeptical of the Dragons when I bought them. But now that I have them, they’ve washed all doubt from my mind. The first one that I put on my Next is still on it. Yeah, it has softened up quite a bit, but it’s already lasted probably 4-5 times the amount of time that I used the Type X and Slackline, and it’s still not in sight of being replaced. And it still whips and slacks every bit as good as the other two ever did. So I’ve been in awe of Dragons ever since I got them. And I’m super happy that I bought 50. They’ll likely last me at least a year, easily, and I hope that when I eventually run out that I’m able to pick up more.

The only thing I would change about Dragons though? The color. White is fine… But if I could have some lime green Dragons, I’d never want to ever use any other string. Period.

Goes to show you how totally different preferences can be. It’s awesome that you found one you love and you’re BANG ON about the durability.

However, any trilobal-based string (like original Toxic, or like Dragons) is my least favourite kind of string. Consistency for Brent Stoles isn’t enough for me to subject myself to using them as my main strings.

A favourite I haven’t mentioned is Unknown strings made by our own modman10. Not sure he’s still making them or not; I may have got one of his last batches; but you can contact him to confirm! Love those strings in all 3 of his formats.

No matter how durable a string is, doesn’t it get dirty? Do you wash it or something?

i accually did that
also gloves

I’ve had one string that has lasted an uncanny length of time; it’s blue and white and if I’m remembering correctly, it came with my Hatrick, and on my Hatrick it remains. That’s been what? Four years or so?

It’s rock hard, and a bit harsh (maybe a prototype for #82 kevlar string), but it’s withstood thousands of throws and dozens of hours of playtime. It’s starting to fail where my strings always tend to fail (where the slip knot rubs against itself), but still has quite a bit of life left in it. (If it were a doomsday clock, it would be at about 7. I don’t change my strings until at least 10).

1 Like

Yeah, the string definitely isn’t anywhere near as white as when new… But I guess I don’t really care about it. It still plays really well and hasn’t gotten tacky/grimy from being dirty like other strings have. It really only looks a bit grungy at this point, but so long as it keeps performing well I’ll keep using it.

The white YYSL Ammo on my Superstar has turned pink-ish from rubbing on the red response pads. Looks kinda strange. ;D

As far as washing strings goes, I’ve never tried it. I know that you can wash Toxic and Graou strings without any issues, but I’ve rarely heard of people washing regular poly or kitty. Anyone who’s tried it care to chime in?

Washing regular poly leaves you with a string that may have less oils, but still is frizzy and dirty looking. That has been my experience anyway.

EDIT:
Just found some string that some of you may want. Free shipping worldwide.

That dog-owner lyfe.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet, but a lot of guys that use the Toxic Dragon’s swear by washing them first. I think they just hand wash them, from what I’ve read. Supposedly they last even longer! I get a couple/few months out of one Dragon string, can’t imagine them lasting longer, but I’m going to give it a try next time I change.

In my opinion sOMEThING Type 2 string is the best. (Ive tried ammo, kitty, toxic, venom and some others but not all of course)

I honestly can use around 150 strings or so in a year. Nylon is my favorite… Lasts forever. As well as Venom, but that’s to expensive. I buy 100 packs most of the time for kitty string.

By the way, Is that, like, 500+ strings there

Normal Kitty is in stock in black, and it’s been in stock for a long time now. Were you looking for another kind? :-\