i love string

hey all. i’m trying to get a bit scientific with my string selection. I’ve got a nice variety of strings from different mfg’ers: kitty fat, normal, fat nylon, epic, slick 6, YYE Core, candy wire fat, twisted string x and D, Toxic Markmont, Ammo, and Venom. Mostly the small packs (10 pack). plus the stock string that comes with a yoyo.

so, put each type into a separate baggy with the label in the bag. i plan to use one (or two) strings at a time and swap between my various yoyo. when i use a string i mark the baggie as “in use”. then when i go to another string i put the used one back in the baggie (assuming it is not worn out).

i’m hoping this will help me decide which strings i really prefer. up to now i’ve just been happy to play with any string but now that i am getting a little more control over my throws, i want to do some evaluations.

would be interested in hearing how or if others keep track of which string they use (assuming you have not yet settled on one string type). or if this is just over-kill anal retentive waste of time.

also how do you know when the string is really worn. i see here where some people go through string a day (or even multiple strings a day). so far i tend to use string until they become badly frayed; even then it still works but from reading these forums for awhile, i know there are other factors the pros use to get optimal use from the string. i see people talking about string loosing it’s bouce and liveliness but not really sure what that means and how it relates or impacts my thows and late intermediate to early advanced tricks i normally do.

gw

trust me and get a cloud string.

phenomenal, even after hearing nothing but good things I was kinda hesitant. It’s on a different level than other strings for sure.

yea, i have some (4) on order. should be here this week. read some great reviews about Cloud.
gw

My favorite is BluePrint, but after that it’s Buddha.

I tried several different ones and still do.
My only advice is to make sure you have good response pads in your throw so that the testing is not skewed.

I didn’t realize the response pads were worn on my Too Hot (it was the first time I had ever needed to replace them) and so I thought I didn’t like nylon strings. But, it was just the worn response.

Gary Dogwood… I’m new at this… I’d like to see your string pie chart, graphs and diagrams. LoL

have you tried monkeyfingerdesign vine strings? they are pretty great for slack/whip, they keep the tension very well and those stings lasted me 10X longer then kitty. the only con is that it’s very hard to undo knots with this type of string.

I just gave Cloud string a try. Even as a total been, I can see how amazing they are. VERY DIFFERNT than other strings. It has an elastic quality. Hard to keep on my finger though…

yea, the more i use it the more i like it. but it does stretch quite a bit so about time to re-adjust the length.
gw

Cloud string ruined me for other brands. I thought I liked fat, I thought I liked soft, but turns out after all the strings ive tried (close to 20 different brands and types) that i prefer thin, firm, and bouncy. The fact that I am still using the first one I bought months ago and it still plays like new makes me think a ten pack could last a year or more.

Really? It’s not worn out?
I change strings pretty often so I find this one hard to believe :slight_smile:

So you are saying that a bulk, 100 pack of cloud string may be a bit more then needed at one time? :wink:
Think about how much that would cost!

I change strings simply when I think the other one looks gross

Im pretty good about washing my hands before I play, so it takes a good long time for my strings to get dingy. Ive had 2 cloud strings get dirty enough to be noticeable (one from me learning 5A and dropping and stomping the string to keep it from hauling off somewhere), and i washed them. Warm water, hand soap, worked it in for a minute or so, rinsed and dried and it looks BRAND new.

zero wear on 4 of the 5 I have in commission right now.

That first one though, with at least 30+ hours easy. Im being generous with that number, has shown some wear. Its minimal. Ive destroyed kitty strings in a few hours.
anyway,I just took these pics of that string for this reply. See for yourself. After 20 hours I washed it, and i swear i plays like new. The same bounce as day one, the same thickness, smoothness, weight, everything. While they are not for everyone, they are 100% for me.

100 would be more than one could use in a Loooooong time. Unless you had 100 yoyos each equipped with its own. haha

also garydogwood is right, youll likely have to re-adjust the string length after a coupe hours of play. It will slightly stretch out during this initial break in and after that, its good to go.

edit that reminds me!
/buys a few more while they are still in stock

How long is cloud string?

very tough to measure on account of its stretchyness. I usually have to lop off an inch or two off each one, Im pretty tall and i like my strings longer that most. Never had even close of a cloud string being “too short” problem. but as far as numbers, i tried to measure one and from relaxed to under tension there is several inches difference on a brand new one.

I’ve only tried Blueprint, and liking it so far. Will be giving Kitty Strings Normal a shot next month.

I play a ton of different strings. Different strings play better on different throws. I have a certain string I like for 5A. You’ve got to have cotton on hand for fixed axle play. I say you can never have to many different types of string. I love my yoyo accessories about as much as my yoyos.

I spent some time with kitty and kitty fat, I was not a fan personally. They are cheap, but burn out way faster than I like.

What string do you perfer for 5A?

Yeap, I heard that it’s softer than Blueprint that’s why it burns out faster.

Toxic BG1 Yellow Jackets are super duper soft, whip like a champ, and last for a long long time. They are my “other favorite” string.

All about the monkeyfinger ape hanger vines :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand: