Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

I had a copy of this signed by Tom Kuhn and a few other pros when I was a kid. It was so hard to learn tricks from a book without seeing it performed. YouTube makes learning much easier.

7 Likes

Totally agree with you on this front. Yo-yo trick instructions are always difficult to convey in written form. For some tricks, it’s impossible to know if you’re doing it right based on 3-6 photos and a short step-by-step. While I appreciate what Mark McBride was attempting with his TFY transcription, it still was difficult to convey exactly how to accomplish a yo-yo trick.

Yo-yo tricks are best taught through demonstration and YouTube is an excellent delivery method for that.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted an heirloom box set. Very nice!

3 Likes

I recently got my first No Jive Mandala and always thought that the inside would not be engraved. Is this normal?

15 Likes

I’ve never seen one like that. Based on the hex nut it’s a pretty recent model.

1 Like

That’s gnarly dude!

1 Like

Not typical. I have one of the rare inverse sunbursts like that but mine is blank inside like most butterfly engraved models. May have originally been an engraving test.

7 Likes

Very Very nice collection you’ve built!

2 Likes

I’ve not seen that recently, but that looks like one of the runs done for YoYoSpin based on the design, depth of lasering, and the factory-applied finish. IIIRC there were only 100 of those made and only 20 that were left unjeweled.

6 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of jeweled Tom Kuhn throws over the years and I’ve always avoided them (exception being the diamond specials). I don’t get the attraction to bejeweling yo-yos, especially a yo-yo as nice as a laser engraved No Jive. It’s also been my experience that yo-jazzled throws don’t demand as much attention on eBay as a similar No Jive in a non-altered condition.

Case in point, these Purgatory No Jives aren’t aesthetically improved at all.

What’s the general feeling about these mods? Do you feel that the jewels add to the beauty of the throw, or improve the enjoyment of it? Or, are you like me and feeling indifferent at best?

7 Likes

They don’t really do it for me aesthetically speaking, but I could see how someone would be drawn to them, especially someone who’s more of a collector than a thrower.

Does anyone know if it affects the way the yoyo behaves at all?

2 Likes

I think some of them definitely look better than others

7 Likes

To each their own - def. affects collector/re-sale value. Note that there are different types of jewels and the quality of aftermarket jeweling may differ.

I have a John Rollins jeweled NoJive /blue-white stripe. This was done with deep Swarovski jewels (like the old time jewels) and not flat-backed. It is a tribute the diamond specials and my first NoJive (a beat-up blue/white).

2 Likes

The KC Jewel/Rollins mods were also structurally improved in that most of them had a shaved/sanded interior and gap, effectively making them play like SF era clean machines. I have a pair of them and they are wonderful. I like the subtle nod to the Diamond Special, which was itself a nod to the Duncan Jeweled yo-yo Tom won at a childhood contest run by Bob Rule.

Generally, the jewel-encrusted mods are not for me. With a limited number of No Jives out there in the world, I’d kinda prefer not to keep seeing them done, but absolutely “to each their own”. Everybody has their own aesthetics and I certainly would never knock Ed Davidson’s craftsmanship.

8 Likes

Excited to add this chunky boy to my collection. Super smooth and just plain fun to throw

12 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

TK Batik No Jive 3

11 Likes

So excited to add this beautiful piece to my collection.
This is the first truly 70s era “old school” TK that I’ve ever had and the sweetness of it being a Mandala just make it that much more awesome

15 Likes

My Limbos arrived yesterday. So far I’m enjoying the latest take on the re-configurable yo-yo. A nice homage to the original No Jive 3-in-1 design.

10 Likes

So I got an old spool of TK string really interesting since I’ve never made yoyo string "from scratch " but I had a couple questions. How many strings do yall suspect you can get off one of these? Also curious on your general thoughts on the overall quality of TK string. I also have a more recent 10 pack I got off the official website and both this spool and it definitely seem noticeably softer and better quality than the typical bulk stuff

7 Likes