Is there a Tom Kuhn yo-yo database? Wondering about my NJs

Is there any resource online listing all the TK releases and what years they were produced/where they were produced?

I’ve read in another thread that the color box can help ID what year a particular No Jive was made, but if I don’t have a box to reference, is there anywhere to look up what years (for example) this Mandala NJ was made and if it’s BC or before?

6 Likes

@edhaponik is the only TK database I know of.

3 Likes

I think on many you can tell by the depth of the engraving. The pre BC had deeper engraving. From the pic that looks like a BC era.

Attybud had a nice history of Tom Kuhn on yoyonation. I’m sure someone has a copy of it.

4 Likes

There is this thread

And 13 pages on www.yoyomuseum.com

6 Likes

That is a BC era Snowflake Mandala produced (probably) between 1999-2003. The Mandala series is easiest to age by the depth, shade, and diameter of the engraved area. That’s one of my favorite Mandala designs and harder to find than the Filligree or Sunburst.

9 Likes

Didn’t want to bug him to tell me about my particular yo-yo, but… thanks Ed!

1 Like

Thanks. I did do some reading before posting and noticed that the early custom jobs like that cash register company one and some others had a deeper looking engraving.

1 Like

The Chronology of Tom Kuhns has a few errors in it. Specifically the Neiman Marcus and Abercrombie & Fitch yo-yos were released in 1983/84 and not in 1987. The DTS/Datachecker and Krueger & Sons also came out in 83/84. The Museum of Yo-Yos is an excellent resource.

I’ve got a good list of limited edition Tom Kuhns including what year they were released and how many were made (to the best of my knowledge). I’ll post it as a separate thread to make it easier to find.

3 Likes

Here’s the link: Tom Kuhn Limited Editions List

2 Likes