Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

My Tom ‘Runes’ collection grew with the addition of the Wood Rocks Nordik 2. I wanted to share some detail shots fo the teeny-tiny Tom Kuhn logo at the center of the two Wood Rocks yo-yos. It’s almost impossible for me to see without my glasses on, that’s how tiny it is.

The Nordik pattern is easily my favorite later-model Mandala design.

The other new additions to my Tom Kuhn collection:

It’s pretty rare for me to add four models I didn’t have in one week! What a great way to end Fixed Axle February!

16 Likes

Does anyone have any details on the order in which the original Tom Kuhn No Jive boxes were released? I know that the brown one was first due to it reading “Patent Pending” but I am unsure of the rest. Any insight would be great.

Also, if you have a blue box… I’m interested. :smile:

8 Likes

The blue box is a new one for me - Don’t think I’ve seen that one before!

3 Likes

I love naturals but figured it was time to add a little color to the collection

9 Likes

Got tired of burning my axles throwing 1a tricks, so I spun up some walnut axles for the ol’ 3in1 as well as some for a hildy bro’s throw that was starting to look a little scorched

13 Likes

How does the walnut feel compared to the birch in your No Jive?

2 Likes

Mines more ratty feeling (I just rough cut it to try it out). Spin times seem the same. Not sure if there is a response difference since that sticker makes every bind tight.

3 Likes

Only @edhaponik knows for sure.

When I was a kid I once made one string out of a whole spool of Tom Kuhn string. I don’t remember how long it was but I had to be on a second story balcony to use it. Or I could only do a forward pass on flat ground. But I had to throw it very hard and when it came back it, it was moving fast and hurt.

7 Likes

Got to add another fun piece to the collection

9 Likes

My new add to the collection is this Flying Camel that arrived today. Its got some of the sharpest carving I’ve ever seen on a Flying Camel. The details of the clouds and pyramid are amazingly clear.

14 Likes

Beautiful
I just assumed flying camel meant it was in butterfly configuration since that’s how Tom always referred to that style in his No Jive descriptions
Cool to see it in imperial as well

2 Likes

Forgive the late night ramble just gotta gush over my love of all things Tom Kuhn. Honestly one of the biggest appeals to me about his designs is the quirky, original aspect of so many of his yoyos. Besides the No Jive and SB2 being revolutionary for their time, you got the fun tiny Pocket Rocket and the weird Fat Cat that almost has a straight flat profile. Not to mention all the beautiful mandalas and various carved versions. I guess what I’m saying is yoyos come and go but TK will always have a special place for me

6 Likes

Apologies I’m all rambly on this thread lately lol

I noticed older model No Jives tend to come in a variety of different colored boxes. Is there a major difference between them or was it just simply an aesthetic change for marketing purposes during different years?

2 Likes

I got this back in the day when you ordered them from the post card ads. It came with this flaw in the laser carving and I thought about sending it back, but it was kind of cool and I figured one day it might be super valuable like the upside down plane stamp or something.

22 Likes

Amazing!!

2 Likes

I’d bet it is to the right collector! What a rarity!

1 Like

I’m also interested in the boxes. As I understand they changed colors when the stock ran out of the previous color. The brown boxes with Patent Pending were first and seemed to last through the mid-80s. After than I believe came purple then green. The red and blue boxes seem to be the final colors but this is just a guess.

4 Likes

Excited and honored to get to add a true piece of yoyo history to my collection

11 Likes

Just an amazing, stunning, jaw-dropping collection. Just wow, and nothing but the wow.

4 Likes