Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

Howdy guys new member here and stumbled into this awesome thread. Been a big TK fan for years but after a long hiatus from yoyoing recently dove back in and started building my collection up. Heres my humble pile of TK goodness

13 Likes

Welcome back!

Will you be sticking to responsive play or delving into the world of unresponsive? There are so many good conversations to read through and you’ll find no shortage of help! You will like the fixed axle Friday thread for sure…

I have both the silver bullet and SB-2 but they are shelf queens. :slight_smile: Trying to get my hands on an SB-3 and 4.

1 Like

I guess I’m a little old school and although unresponsive looks interesting to a point my heart is with traditional responsive and wooden fixed axle. Full unresponsive wasnt even a thing back when I was playing regularly so its still very foreign to me. Personally I’m a mediocre player at best lol but theres just something about a wood yoyo that excites me more than all these ultra modern types

5 Likes

Excited to add a couple more pieces to the collection today. I actually laughed out when I opened the Pocket Rocket. I knew it was supposed to be small but had no idea it would be that small lol

10 Likes

I know some history as I bought the last couple of them from the company. They are maple Roller Woodys with Bison leather caps embossed with the design and Territory Ahead. No TK branding in the embossing. They came with a burlap pouch and TK instructions.

I also have one of the prototypes from Brad (celebrating the TK/BC relationship) when they were experimenting with leather caps.

I think I am the only one who has sold one of these in the last 10-12 years…

6 Likes

Thanks! I wish they would’ve done more with the leather caps. It blends well with the wood and character of the yo-yo.

Did you happen to sell it on eBay? It may have been the one I bought.

I’m curious; do you know if it has the Roller Woody stamp underneath the leather cap?

Nice! I love those little details/easter eggs. I never knew there were different versions.

1 Like

TBH - I’ve never tried to remove the caps, as TK/BC was not really known for having removable caps, I figured it was prob just glued on. It’s quite possible you may have bought from me - I have sold only 2 of these on ebay over the past 14 years and sold two privately. Have 2 left in my collection.

4 Likes

Wow! How did you find 6 of them to start with?

1 Like

Hunted down a classic I’ve been wanting. Figured this might be as appropriate place as any to post this considering Dr. Kuhn himself did contribute an addendum to the book

11 Likes

Always in its holster on my bag right next to a Duncan cold fusion is this edc.

10 Likes

I got an autographed one some time ago when I happened across her website. I loved reading through this book as a kid; but stopped before I got too far along with the tricks

2 Likes

I recently picked up the hardcover first printing of this book. The addition of Tom Kuhn’s addendum really makes this printing the one to seek out.

4 Likes

Absolutely this section in particular was fascinating

8 Likes

Finally hunted down a natural Roller Woody. Excited to complete the family

11 Likes

The natural sleep machine is pretty common, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a natural roller woody. Very nice.

5 Likes

My bullets…

10 Likes

A few photos I took the other weekend of some of my TK collection:

I’m very excited to have two complete Heirloom boxes. The two boxes have different engravings and different construction. One is hinged and the other has a removable lid. I’m not sure when either was released.

This Heirloom box was purchased complete with 15 yo-yos from a lawyer who had it in her office for years. She said she only threw a few of them. The Cliff House / Seal Rocks is the only copy of this woody I’ve ever seen! I swapped out the natural wood Sleep Machine for the Prowler model to match the Roller Woody though. This box has the larger engraving and has two clasps rather than a hinge.

This Heirloom box was purchased without any yo-yos. It wasn’t in the best shape and I had to do some work to repair a hinge and improve the integrity of the entire box. All of the yo-yos in this box were purchased independently over the course of a few years.

A few of my No Jives that I’ve collected over the years. I’m on the hunt for the 1984 Olympics No Jive and a Kreuger & Sons No Jive in particular.

20 Likes

Wow! :star_struck:

Here are both versions of the book.

10 Likes