To all the people here owning a Space Cowboy..

Got a reply from Tyler Severance himself now!
He told me to do the axle tuning thing, so i replied saying that the axle was stuck… So we’ll take it from there i guess :slight_smile:

I guess all of my yoyos are stripped.

Lol, same here! :stuck_out_tongue:

OP, hope the advise here and from Tyler severance helps you fix the problem. Keep us posted!

ill use an allen wrench to remove axles, but never to put them in, after my shutter dented (in the outside cup) with zero effort at all.

also TA, i solely blame you for out of stock black string whenever i look for it.

I am being completely honest here, am I missing something? Why would there be YYJ hate in here when the Space Cowboy is a YYF yo-yo? Is it the patent, the bi-metal design or something else?

The excuse given by the other shop is poor at best. I don’t think any company would knowingly put out a pulsing design. It does sound like you got a bad one, it happens. I would contact YYF and see if they will help you out if the store will not.

As for the allen key, I have used one as well t remove an axle but most of the time it is because I use teflon tape to tune the axle which locks the axle in place making it difficult to remove with just your fingers. Some companies, like One Drop, have used Loc-Tite on their axles which requires the use of an allen key.

At the same time, if Geezer is not removing axles that have been “glued in” or tuning them he may be unaware of the need for an hex key to uninstall an axle.

He was most likely referring to the vibe found in most YYJ yoyos, plastic/metal and bimetal alike. Whoever sold you that Space Cowboy, he’s trying to cover his butt by saying “that’s just how all bimetals act”. What I’ve found about newer YYF metals is they don’t need tuning. If they are dead smooth, they will stay dead smooth, if they develop vibe, they vibe will not go away, so “tuning the axle” most likely will do squat. Hit up the store again for a refund. Not good customer service at all to provide you with a bad egg and then give you false information. The Draupnir I tried was dead smooth, as well as the Laser. My Hex has no vibe, neither did a Diamond Back and a Phenom I tried.

I rage quit from buying a NextLevel at worlds this year when I tried 4 of them straight in a row and all of them vibed. Must be dem b grades or im accursed. My phenom ti also vibed when it came stock, but i did manage to tune it. They must vibe quite regularly if nobody seems to care about vibe anymore or the yoyos themselves when it comes to YYJ. The store which OP bought his yoyo from must have only dealt with yyj bimetals before lol

Why is it the store’s fault that the yoyo has vibe? Doesn’t it make more sense for YYF to handle the issue?

If you buy a TV from Best Buy and it is defective out of the box are you going to contact the manufacturer or take it back to the store for a refund? I don’t know about you but I am not waiting for the manufacturer, I am going back to the store. They can deal with the manufacturer since they work as a sales agent on behalf of the manufacturer.

1 Like

One reason manufacturers sell at wholesale price to retailers rather than sell at market price directly to customers is that they are essentially paying the retailer to deal with customer interactions. Part of that is handling refunds/exchanges for faulty products that slip through quality control. Even if it’s not the store’s fault that they shipped a defective unit, it is still generally part of their job to deal with that. That doesn’t necessarily mean the store has to absorb the loss–they can get compensation for the faulty product from the manufacturer afterward–but it’s still pretty typical that the store would handle customer service for out-of-the-box defects.

1 Like

Every reseller in the world gets wholesale prices (for the most part). These big box stores have the power to do this type of thing. (not saying a yoyo reseller don’t…) but the when it comes to a defect with easy access to manufacturers in this small community it makes MORE sense to go to the manufacturer directly.

Sure, tell the store the issue, but a lot of times it doesn’t work the same on this small scale. Yoyo Manufacturers are extremely easy to get in contact with and it will likely get worked out more quickly.

Finally, the reseller cannot test every single yoyo they get to test for vibe/wobble.

The store should be held, somewhat, accountable but this is not Best Buy nor do they have the purchasing power.

Easy example of this is when there is a problem with CLYW Chris will handle it personally.

I think the anger in this thread is stemming from the completely BS response that the store gave… there is no excuse for that. It’s a flat out lie, and it’s bad customer service.

If the store had responded with “hey, sorry about that, you can contact the manufacturer directly at email@domain.com and they would be happy to help you” most people would be fine with that.

Most ‘good’ stores would just do the exchange themselves without any problem, then later go to the manufacturer (with whom they already have established relationships/contacts) and to sort it out… but the bare minimum would be to direct them to the manufacturer and provide all relevant contact info.

Kyle

I disagree on this point. Yo-Yo companies are accessible due to the size of the community. But, if they are paying the retailers to deal with customer issues, we should be addressing the retailer first. Not that contacting a manufacturer is unheard of, but it should never be the first course of action. I think that manufacturers should spend more time figuring out their next design, and getting releases ready, while we let retailers do what they are being paid to do. I think the accessibility of these manufacturers, and the number of messages they get as a result, might be a reason why we experience delays on product releases. We are fans of these people and their work, but with issues like this, a contact with the manufacturer should be a last resort. The next time people wonder why the next release from a company is delayed yet again, think about how much time they spend responding to messages.

I got hold of a hex key at school and managed to get the axle out. So i tried repositioning the axle in all possible ways - didn’t do anything. Reported back to Tyler about it. He’ll send me a new one :slight_smile: Great customer service by YYF!

EDIT: Some of you probably have figured out which store i bought the yoyo from. I’m not bashing them for bad customer service or anything. I generally get excellent service from them :slight_smile:

Mine arrived today (red).
In Europe are only available with generic YYF box, and this isn’t a good thing.
The yoyo has no vibration (only a slight pulse almost imperceptible).
Is a nice yoyo, plays very well but he does like so many others in aluminum yoyo … I am increasingly convinced that the advantage that would give the use of more metals there is, but it is overrated and certainly not worth the burden of price.
Finishing and anodizing are nice, but you see that is made in China because it isn’t just flawless, on my yoyo there are numerous scratches on steel rims, a sign of shock parts during machining / assembly … and on a yoyo for $ 120 isn’t exactly the best.

lol no.

I don’t really care for the package it comes in. But yeah, mine, bought in Japan, also came in the generic YYF box.
Actually, the fit and finish of my Space Cowboy is flawless. (Obviously not counting in the vibe)

Presuming there’s meant to be a small “step” from the stainless to the aluminum, I assume. :wink: It’s almost certainly a design decision, but I wish it had been a smoother transition.

Loler Yes.

but You have a pulsar edition…