Titaniums šŸ˜Š

Let me say somenthing:
In my opinion (and itā€™s just a personal opinion) Titanium is not ā€œbetterā€ than alluminium, just different.
But, if you like the feeling, good, itā€™s good for you to use that.
What I want to say, itā€™s, to me, one material is not better than the other.
For this reason, plastic is not worst than alluminium.
99.9% of plastic is not machine, itā€™s moulded, and this make the yoyos very innacurate.
BUT, if you machine a plastic yoyo, AND you make a good weight distribution, probably the yoyo will be awesome.
One of my friend made the Rooyo - HF, that was machined in delrin, a very good quality plastic. It worked very good. Good as an alluminium on.
HF
Thatā€™s it, Iā€™m not a titanium hater, I just think itā€™s a good material as many others, and the amazing material quality of this one, in yoyo making, are not helpful

10 Likes

Itā€™s a yoyo a made with bronze and fishing wire. Itā€™s a good example to explain how weight distributions can be wrong.
More weight in the outside itā€™s not always a good solution.
For the same reason I donā€™t think titanium is always the best solution.
(I donā€™t have a yoyo store, Iā€™m just an entusiast)

7 Likes

I think yo-yo design these days, while arguably at the high point of its history, has reached a sort of standstill. Nearly every yo-yo made is pretty good, but theyā€™re a bit similar. Iā€™d very much like to see some companies working with experts like Mr. Ettore Ferro or @yoyodoc to create some truly unique pieces. Why arenā€™t we seeing that? If I had a company, Iā€™d throw crazy ideas at them all day long, listen to theirs, and see what would happen.

I realize this has gone a bit off topic, of course, but I felt the need to state that.

6 Likes

off topic, but why do people never blast their ti? The slick finishes feel awful like an unanodised/raw aluminum yoyo. Even if they play good their bad feel in the hand keeps me away from using any ti as my main throw.

1 Like

My Ti yo-yos:
Luftverk Daytona, 5 YYF Ti Dreams, Fulvia BTMR
Fulvia, One Drop Citizen, Magicyo REX, 2 Ti Walkers, YYR Dazzler, Throw Revolution Lotus, Ti Peak, Ti Phiter, Oxy Hyperion, Ti Shutter, a few YYJ Titanium prototypes, a Japan Tech Ribira, etcā€¦

I have never even had a thought that any of them felt like a raw/ unfinished aluminum yoyo.

To me; nothing quite feels like Ti in the hand.

Iā€™ve never thought of them as slick; with the exception of the Luftverk Glass dust Fulvia, the AMS Daytona or the Gold plated Iyoyo Tiger.

I am not saying I am right or you are wrong.

But your opinion sure is different than minešŸ¤”

4 Likes

I admire your straightforward honest approach to the language shortcoming. Just put it out there like a man, outstanding. Now I can agree with your statement without being seen as a triggerrer. I get most of what you say though, English is tough man, most Americans speak it their entire life and never truly learn it

2 Likes

Really!? Statements about weight distribution are a constant refrain from yo-yo designers.

I understand your point that as an added weight there are other denser materials that are more effective, but the ability to machine it so thin, while maintaining enough structural strength, allows for designers to easily move the weight distribution around on mono-metal designs. At least that is my understanding.

It may or may not be the ultimate material for yo-yo design, but surely itā€™s not useless?

Please post more pics with any rebuttal!

2 Likes

Actually platinum is the best feeling yoyo coating and this is off topic but man nothing feels like platinum.

3 Likes

Who has released a platinum plated yo-yo???

Anti Yo made the Bapezilla and The Business in platinum coated editions. Not many of either though.

1 Like

Believe me brother, 90% of yoyos are made with ā€œLetā€™s try thisā€. All my stock yoyo were made on paper and machine on CNC. They plaid as I thought.
Consider this: every yoyo works, but made a yoyo that works awesome, is much more difficult.
I canā€™t write names, but please belive me, I know becouse I told with a lot of roducers.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but your post is not valid without more pics of B!st yo-yos! :smiley:

Myk I should post some pics from other yoyo maker and tell you where the weight distribution is wrong, but I really donā€™t want to do that.

1 Like

Haha no, I only wanted to more of yours! I know you were using them as examples. Iā€™ll go look at your site,ā€¦

Oh, sorry I didnā€™t understand :smiley:
Iā€™ll put here a picā€¦random
13_211_2

10 Likes

^ Thanks! Did it work? Is it like a barking walk the dog?

Well whether or not they actually used Ti to the fullest, and regardless of the actual merits of Ti as a material for manufacturing yo-yos, I enjoy all of my Ti yo-yos.

My Rook and Castle are amazing performers. My Fianchetto is like an old school EDC, thatā€™s been hotrodded. Even the seemingly much maligned Ricochet, is pretty fun; an organic with lots of spin power.

It could totally be ā€œall in my headā€, but whatever, I enjoy them.

2 Likes

This post has refueled my desire to hunt down some of those magnificent pieces made by Mr. Bist. Which is not good at all, considering that the probability of finding one is extremely low.

Iā€™ll go look at some dog/cat videos to feel better. Or purchase more titanium yo-yos. Thatā€™s always good for the wallet.

On another off-topic note, is there a post where people get to upload pictures of their designs, such as modded yo-yos, prototypes that never got the chance to be produced, etc? Iā€™d love to see something like that. But Iā€™m not sure if other people would be interested.

2 Likes

You can post designs here:

2 Likes

If there is so much demand, why doesnā€™t someone come up with a new Ti Walker? Just change say the hub to spikes like the ti Hawk or Gen Yo style? So many say they wont ever sell themā€¦ Just thinking out loud.

Maybe the Ti Hawk is close enough alreadyā€¦?

There was one, called the d***runner, which was designed with a slightly wider gap and to take modern 19mm slim pads. Iā€™m not sure how many were made but @chaosgow already said they arenā€™t doing another run of these, either, since apparently VsNYYC resurrected itself at some point. I picked one up on BST a couple months ago and itā€™s one of my favorites.

2 Likes