Why Titanium?

There seems to be a fairly popular conception that if a titanium yo-yo isn’t designed for optimum rim weight, then there isn’t much point in the extra expense of using titanium as the material for the yo-yo.

Some of your recent designs have gone away from the performance/competition model format that dominates the Ti yo-yo market.

I have my own ideas about why you might stick with Ti for your designs that have diverged from the norm, but can you tell us why you stick to using Ti, and why you consider it a viable material for non-competition designs?

Titanium is just such a cool material, the sound it makes when you throw it is so different and you can really push the limits of design with the material. The only downside is that its sooo expensive to make.

With your question - its a lot more than just optimizing it in a calculated way. For example, the 000 I focused on how the yoyo sounds when in play. Having a loud yoyo doesn’t depend on rim weight though. It depends on profile shape and the body thickness. So something like this is unique to Titanium, but has nothing to do with rim weight.

Something like a slimline - yes there isn’t really a benefit if you were to measure pure performance or spintime. But if you ever played with one, you know why it feels good, it just can’t be replicated with aluminum.

Great question.

8 Likes

Thanks, and I agree!

I don’t have the Daytona, but I have the 2SickYoYos Fianchetto. It is a great yo-yo, and I think that is in part due to it being designed around Ti. Also, it’s performance is rather surprising, so I feel it does gain something being Ti. To me it’s like a Hot Rod. I imagine the Daytona has that quality as well?

I find the OOO to be very satisfying on so many levels!

Thanks for all you do, and for taking the time with us to do this AMA.

4 Likes

Thanks! I love Joey, his stuff is super cool.

2 Likes