Titaniums šŸ˜Š

so you are telling that itā€™s about the weight distribution and not the material which is responsible for the yo-yo to play.

1 Like

Absolutely yes. Do you want a heavier material? You can use iron or stainless steel, why use a material heavier than aluminum whose mechanical characteristics you donā€™t need?

Of course, if you like titanium, how it plays, how it sounds, the feeling that gives you, then obviously you are free to use titanium.

5 Likes

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but I believe yo-yo companies use titanium because it allows them to construct very thin walls (0.5 mm, etc.). This, in turn, (namely, removing weight from where itā€™s not needed) allows the manufacturers to put more weight exactly where they want in order to achieve the results they seek, such as more rim weight for stability. I believe thatā€™s the same reason 7068 aluminum is used in yo-yo manufacturing as well. Or at least, the reason itā€™s claimed to be used.

Now, if you were modding a yo-yo, constructing it entirely out of titanium parts might not be needed. But with a regular one, that may not be the case.

Regarding play, I canā€™t say I own an aluminum or bimetal thatā€™s better than some of my best titaniums. But I canā€™t say that those same titaniums are better than my best bimetals either. Perhaps, there is a difference, but that difference is not easily noticeable. The only thing Iā€™ve noticed is a difference in spin time. And, yes, you can certainly argue that spin time is an aspect of performance, and that it makes a yo-yo better. But bimetals and even metals spin for such a long time these days, you donā€™t really need much more. As for why professionals donā€™t use them, I too, as YoyoGeezer and others have stated, believe itā€™s more profitable to promote cheaper yo-yos that a much larger percentage of people can afford.

PS. I wrote all of this just to say, all thatā€™s missing from my life is a B!ST Stradivari. If thatā€™s not the single most beautiful yo-yo ever created, I donā€™t know what is.

6 Likes

Damn, itā€™s so hard to explain!

yoyos are just weight distribution, I hard work on that years ago.
There are 2 kind of balance, the rotation one and the side one.
Take this yoyo:
In the speaker side thereā€™s a heavy magnet, but itā€™s weight is where it DOES NOT have to be.
So you have to re-balance it, but how?
We got a cup with a heavy cup and a light one.
Many yoyo builder (except Xela from X3 and a few more) do not think about the fact weights in different places act in different way.salva

10 Likes

Which one? The old one or the 2019?

12 Likes

What is the yo-yo in your profile pic?and do you make and own a yo-yo store?

If any yo-yo ever had a chance of looking better than your 2009 Stradivari, it would be your 2019 Stradivari. But, in my eyes at least, the old version is still the king, just barely beating the newer model. Admittedly, the 2019 version is still the second most beautiful yo-yo Iā€™ve ever laid eyes on. Maybe Iā€™m just old-fashioned. Who knows? In any case, it is difficult to compare two yo-yos that look so darn good. In both cases, all I can say is this: itā€™s simply art at its finest.

Also, Iā€™ve never played or even touched either of the two. So, Iā€™m strictly comparing them in terms of overall beauty.

1 Like

2019? Am I hearing a run of yoyos is being produced?

2 Likes

It really depends on the yoyo. I have a number of metal yoyosā€“including bimetalsā€“that donā€™t spin as long as Iā€™d like, while at the same time I have hybrids that have all the spin time I could reasonably expect from a contemporary yoyo design.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. Thatā€™s exactly what I was trying to say. Similarly, there are titaniums that donā€™t spin as long as my bimetal or even metal yo-yos. Itā€™s all about the design. Take the YYF Horizon, for instance, it offers me all the spin time I need, and itā€™s a very inexpensive yo-yo.

1 Like

The Horzion has amazing spin time. An amazing first budget metal imo.

1 Like

I have to agree, @MrBist is blowing my mind. Weā€™re all in here posting random blah blah blah words and heā€™s posting pictures of these incredible one of a kind hand made machined yo-yos that he personally created. Itā€™s quite the ā€¦ uh, contrast!

That said I am not sure I understand the concern with titaniumā€¦ it seems to me that titanium gives you finer control than aluminum over where you want the weight to go in a yo-yo. The only downside, and it is a BIG one, is the 10x increase in cost and machining that titanium requires over aluminum.

7 Likes

I think what @MrBist is saying is that he can make two yoyos play very near the same regardless of the material by putting weight in the right places. I believe he probably can. The problem is there arenā€™t a lot of other people with his level of expertise.

11 Likes

I also suspect that he ā€œputs weight in the right placesā€ using laborious manual methods that canā€™t easily be automated or produced simply by the machining process. In order for yoyos to be both performant(*) and affordable, design and manufacturing compromises have to be made.

(*) performant appears in the Cambridge Advanced Learnerā€™s Dictionary & Thesaurus Ā© Cambridge University Press. Deal with it, bā€“tches! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Itā€™s still a made up word! I hope you find this informationā€¦ informant.

2 Likes

Well of course itā€™s a made up word. All words are made up. Duh! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

That sentence was highly informant.

2 Likes

Grammar fail. Informant is a noun.

2 Likes

English grammar is as intuitive as the imperial system

1 Like

Wait what? Thats a speaker in there? Duuuuuude! <3 <3 <3

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes