Titaniums 😊

I must disagree. Titanium is used in F1 internal racing parts for the same reason that it is outstanding for yo-yo’s. Titanium is extremely responsive. By that, I mean it changes direction faster than any metal I know. The best way to illustrate it is to get similar aluminum and ti yo-yo’s and do some boingy-boing. You will notice that the Ti yo-yo is able to do many more repetitions per minute than an aluminum yo-yo.

As for why a pro does not use it on stage - I think it is for cost reasons. When you compete, you need at least three identical; or similar yo-yo’s to compete with. If you choose Titanium, your cost for doing a contest might be over $600 just to walk on stage. Add to that the fact that these competitions are usually on concrete and the damage could make competing not worth it using Ti.

4 Likes

Ok… ok… this just doesn’t make any sense.

Cost is not a concern for sponsored pros, if titanium made them perform better, they would use it… absolutely, without question! (This is also partly why I consider “nylon string performs better” a non-starter as an argument. We’d need to see evidence of serious competitive advantage in the hands of pros, and we don’t see that.)

6 Likes

The only reason why titanium would be used in place of steel in certain applications is that it has a higher strength to weight ratio.

3 Likes

When the YYR Dazzler came out, I think a few championships were won in Japan using it.

High performance engines (F1) use low-weight titanium valves. That is because these valves can keep up with the extreme speeds of the engines while maintaining heat and wear resistance… If you do not understand, try it first. The same yo-yo performance is achieved with less titanium weight. That means speed.

I also think that the sponsorship issue is key too. If a YYF player wins Nats using a titanium, then everyone will think that all non-titanium YYF throws are somehow not up to winning Nats. Since we all know that the player - not the yo-yo wins contests; using titanium may be a net loss for sponsor marketing. This links back to the cost issue. If you get nothing for using Titanium, why spend all the money using it? Will your sponsor give you the ti throws for free?

3 Likes

If you are sponsored you have easy access to all the yo-yos you could possibly need for competitions, including titaniums (if the manufacturer even makes them).

I remember seeing Nate Dailey carrying around like 4 ND Ultras at Cal States for example… He actually was carrying so many I saw him drop one :smiley:

5 Likes

I eagerly await the day someone wins Worlds with an Anglam TiSS. Hell, I eagerly await the day someone competes anywhere with an Anglam TiSS. That would make for some interesting social media buzz…

8 Likes

Indeed, the mark of a true pro is that they don’t use expensive yo-yos because they don’t need to… they can kick everyone’s butt with a cheap $20 yo-yo, like Gentry winning worlds nationals with that plastic Replay Pro…

6 Likes

That didn’t happen.

5 Likes

s/worlds/nationals/

2 Likes

I think he meant Nats.

2 Likes

@codinghorror is correct my friend, cometely different metals all the way down to the elements.

1 Like

SF makes the Cadence I believe. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

4 Likes

You are correct.

1 Like

there is also 7068 aluminuim.

IMG_1373 Ok, so why NO pro player use the Ti for competitions?

you are all obsessed with thicknesses, why? Nobody cares about the distribution of rolling weights and weights.
That does not make any sense.
yoyos have no structure, so forces working on that, it just have to spin.
You can change the weights distribution with insertion of metal on alloy or plastic.
There are bilions of ways never hit, titanium is a oneway road. IMG_4526
Do you think metal screw are there for visual effects?
They don’t.

13 Likes

Every single mod you post here, @MrBist, blows my mind.

5 Likes

Thank you! For Real

Talking of Ti, what I think is Ti is an amazing material, but you have to use it where its using gives you a plus.
In traditional shape, Ti is a limit, because you have too much weight push in a single point.
I machine some steel yoyos, and, belive me, they really suck.
I used a Titanial (alloy mixed with Ti) for the Bistocracy, becouse spokes were so thin that using alloy the yoyo collapsed just throw that.
(hope you understand me guys, my english still sucks)

8 Likes

Plastic yo-yos < metal yo-yos < aluminium 7075 < titanium … correct me if am wrong. I know metal yo-yos always play better than plastic yo-yos. Never tried titanium.

To me, plastic yoyos played worse than aluminium, just for the same reason, Aluminium plays better than Ti. Plastic is too fat, Ti is too slim, aluminium is good to reach the thickness you need a good measure.

I’ll explain.
in this yoyo below, to reach the weight of 55 g (few for a good feeling) I had to use a bronze ring.
The yoyo is not well balanced, at the beginning it is very slow and there is inertia to make it turn.
With a larger aluminum ring it would turn better, with a much larger plastic ring (same weight), it would turn even better.
There’s not the best material for yoyo, but the best use of that kind of material. 2

11 Likes

This is a very important point!

6 Likes