Tips for a new LP thrower

Hey everyone, I just got the LP yesterday and i am new to yoyo. I really enjoy trying to loop. I say try because i cant get 3 loops or more consecutively yet. Im hoping you can help me out.

What kind of string comes stock on the LP? Do you have recommendations for a string on this or in general for a looper? I liked the thicker style that came on it but i think i threw it so much that it has stretched and thinned out. I can get the LP to sleep a little bit now.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

For looping you generally want normal sized string or thinner. Most 2A players would recommend getting Kitty String Normal in white (the old one, not the new first class). The reason is that the white colour string is thinner than the dyed ones. Feel free to try out the slim sized strings as well.

Other than that, you can look into getting some loop string lite which is short string made specifically for looping yoyos. However, I don't think the loop string lite is all that worth it considering it's about half the length of most strings and is therefore not compatible with 1A yoyos and it costs more than most bulk strings out there as well. Only buy such string if you don't intend to play the other styles regularly and only play 2A for the most part.

I think the original throw slim size or normal size would do well as well, since they perform better than Kitty string in 1A yoyos and are way, way cheaper than Kitty.

Also, string tension affects the string thickness. If the string is very loose, the string will be pretty thin and you can get it to sleep for a decent amount of time. If the string is very tight, it might not even sleep at all as the string has become thicker. Try to make sure that the string you are using allows the LP to sleep when the string tension is neutral and when the LP is tightened all the way (I think LPs have non-adjustable gaps). Sometimes, you may find that you may need to “break-in” a fresh new string to get it to stretch out and become thinner in order to get the yoyo to sleep. I usually do this by just doing 2 handed loops.

3 Likes

Man, this is great advice! Thank you @Hanker.

Can you recommend any tutorial videos that are more detailed than the Looping video on â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– ? I have watched that video 100x trying disect it step by step and i still cant get consecutive loops. Ive tried for hours at a time. However, I have figured out that it comes down to timing and keeping tension on the string.

As for the sleeping part, the only time i can get the yoyo to sleep is if i dont throw with alot of force. If i throw with force like I do my other yoyos it just comes right back up. I doing something wrong here?

2 Likes

I assume it’s because of the segmented tension feature?

What about this new Kitty signature string for Shinji Saito?

I agree about Loop String Lite. It’s alright, just not worth the extra cost over other options—and I prefer regular Kitty TBH, it’s much less rough on my fingers. I had to switch strings when learning to loop two handed because the callous on my left hand was getting shredded. Maybe I’ll switch to OT, since I’ve been using that for 1A anyway.

1 Like

There are looping tutorials here. I haven’t watched them, but it looks like they’re more detailed than the YoTricks video which isn’t one of their best.

(Oh, NM, most of them are broken)

What I personally suggest is to try a few small 5 or 10 packs of strings (including YYE white contest string) 5 Pack - 100% Polyester YoYoExpert String to find out what you like instead of buying a roughly $30 pack of string (Kitty String) that folks really enjoy recommending around here. Find out which string works best for you and then buy it in bulk.

Try this - No videos but good descriptions.
https://www.bandalore.org/shawnsguides/

1 Like

Thank you for all of this great advice guys! The Shawns Guides descriptions are very well detailed and well done. Alot of thought went into that for sure.

I was able to find a decent tutorial video, i dont know if its the angle it is shot or what but i think this video is better than the â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  video (not that â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  is necessarily bad) for me. Its from a guy named Dazzling Dave. Seems like a good dude too.

I will probably buy a couple small packs of each of the strings you suggested. Kitty String Normal, Original Throw etc. Also, i think im going to order another LP in a different color to monitor the flips. I know i could probably mark a half with a Sharpie but i want to eventually get to throwing 2 handed so may as well get it when i order string.

3 Likes

Good luck with your looping! Double A is by far the flashiest style and the yoyo community could really need more 2A player.

1 Like

Yes, he’s a “good dude”. He speaks the truth.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure. My info is from way back, about 2 years ago, which is before the Kitty First Class came out, so I only recommend what I know haha. The First Class might be better than regular Kitty but I’m not sure haha. I have some of those First Class so I’ll throw them into my loopers and see how they perform.

I’m not sure about that one, I don’t have that string sorry.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, tutorial videos on 2A are really terrible, nowhere close to anything as detailed as the other styles, which makes learning 2A more difficult. Some good ones would exist for the basics like the Dazzling Dave video you’ve found, but progressing past the basic 2 handed loops into other tricks like tanglers would require a lot of figuring out on your own and asking the community for help. The thing is, 2A tricks require little explanation, you look at them and you know what you need to do and what movements you need to make, but then there’s a lot of hidden complexity and details that go into those movements that you have to refine over a long period of time. Then, once you get the trick and can do it forever, you tend to forget all these complexities and details because the trick just comes naturally to you. Because of this, you probably won’t ever forget how to loop after you’ve learnt it, just like how you won’t ever forget how to ride a bike.

I think the Dazzling Dave video covered most of the tips that you need to know for 2 handed loops, though I’ll add on that a shorter string is very, very much preferable to a longer string. It’s much easier to make the yoyo loop downwards than it is to make the yoyo loop upwards. If you find that you have trouble controlling your loops, make life easier for you and loop with string as short as 70cm. Either way, once you get it, you’ll be able to loop on longer strings with no issues. Also, the looping movement is about the flick of the wrist, so your arm shouldn’t move much, if at all. You can see Dazzling Dave’s elbow staying at pretty much the same position while he is looping and only his forearm and wrist are moving. If you find yourself moving your whole arm, stop and concentrate on using your wrist to loop.

This is a common issue for lots of people that just start out with 2A. Even if you’re a 1A professional, you’ll probably run into this issue, because you never really need to care about how to handle the tiny rebound when the yoyo hits the end of the string when throwing for 1A, or any other style really. Plus, those yoyos are unresponsive so they won’t return on such a small rebound. Heck even 0A fixed axle yoyos won’t have this issue. I reckon people who are experts at 0A would run into the same sleeping problem when they use a 2A yoyo.

2A yoyos have such a tiny gap and are extremely responsive, so even a tiny rebound from just throwing the yoyo down will cause the yoyo to respond and return to your hand. So what you have to do is to absorb that tiny amount of rebound with your hand. It will take a while, but when you throw the yoyo down, just a tiny bit before the yoyo hits the end of the string, pull your hand upwards a bit to absorb the impact of the yoyo hitting the end of the string before moving your hand down again. Basically, your hand follows the tiny movement that the yoyo makes when it hits the end of the string (hits the end of the string > yoyo rebounds upward > yoyo then goes back down) to absorb the impact and stop the yoyo from returning back to your hand. Once you get it, you’ll find that throwing a 2A yoyo will look kinda awkward and weird compared to throwing a regular 1A (or any other style) yoyo. Your hand will do an additional “bounce” before it settles, the hand movement similar to doing a pretty fast single boingy-boing and stopping. The reason why this doesn’t happen even when you throw with full force doing around the world is that the full force of the impact of the yoyo on the end of the string is gets converted into the centripetal force for circular motion. Hope this helps!

Oh I should add that you should absolutely take time to practice sidewinders, especially the outer sidewinders where you throw the yoyo to the outside of your arm (outside of your body area). The outer sidewinders are harder to do thanks to the awkward hand position, but you have to do them to undo the tension in the string caused by looping (other tricks are different). It gets much harder when you have to do them on a yoyo that won’t sleep at all. Learning sidewinders will make learning 2A much more enjoyable since you don’t have to stop what you are doing and let the yoyo dangle to adjust your string tension. Trust me, that gets old very quickly. Doing flying saucers or UFOs isn’t ideal as well since you have to change your throwing direction and can’t do it as quickly as sidewinders. Also, it’ll be hard to get a UFO to work when your string is way too tight since the yoyo just returns to your hand immediately. Practice your sidewinders until you can do them even if the yoyo returns unexpectedly or doesn’t sleep at all. It is almost essential that you know how to do them even if the yoyo refuses to sleep because as you loop on your left hand, the string will continually get tighter with each loop and it’ll become impossible to get the yoyo to sleep at all. Even the special throwing technique that I mentioned above will not do anything to help, the string has simply become too thick due to how tight it is.

4 Likes

@Hanker you hit the nail right on the head with your explanation. There is so much going on when looping that really cant be captured in a video. Its a constant dance of timing and feeling and its something that cant really be explained. Once I finally did a correct loop (no arm movement, correct wrist movement, correct timing etc) it felt so much different than what I had done previously that now I know what Im trying to replicate. I will say that holding the yoyo in my fingers instead of the palm when forward passing it and shortening the string to belt buckle length made a world of difference. I immediately started to loop correctly after those two adjustments.

Im getting better and better at the sidewinder, and you are right, a sidewinder is a necessity for sure. Undoing string tension without them takes all of the fun out of it because its so aggravating. Im still having trouble getting the yoyo to sleep but I will get there.

Again, I can’t thank you enough for the help you are providing!

3 Likes

Awesome! Glad you’re getting decent loops already!

You’re welcome! Feel free to post more questions here, I’m sure the people here will provide you with the help you need.

So I ordered another LP in Pale Lime and 100 Original Throw White Slim strings yesterday. I didnt get much throwing in which probably isnt such a bad thing. It gave my hand a day to heal up. It doesnt look like much but it sure can zing me if i hit a certain way.

3 Likes

Battlescars :+1:

1 Like

Did you get that cut from yoyoing?

1 Like

Yep, its from throwing a Yomega Exodus II. Its a heavy yoyo with rubber rim covers. It will spin at 10k RPM and return to your hand like a shotgun slug and the rubber rim covers grip your skin and twist it. My hands are always dry so that doesnt help either. Last time I threw that yoyo was 2 weeks ago and it still hasnt healed. Although, I havent really given it a chance because I throw the LP a hour or two every night.

1 Like

Wait… 10k RPMs!

Is that a real number or hyperbole? Wow if true. I do love my Glide, I just wish Yomega would release a few other Non-Responsive Throws, and maybe something a bit bigger as well.

1 Like

No lol i was just messing around but it does spin very fast.

1 Like