Thread types! (Update Review on top page) Big updates

haha how did you get it taken away?
but I just use a drill and three nails in my floor.

Try keeping it a little bit looser. Embroidery thread already whips like the devil, but it’s tension is tricky. I find that if your just a little bit looser than what you would shoot for with Polyester you will come out just fine.

I twist my string a bit less than hamstring tight, but a bit more than bulk poly. Should I be aiming to get a twist around bulk poly or even less? I will be experimenting tonight :slight_smile:

Never used hamstring, but I would say try going just a bit lighter. It sounds like your close.

1 Like

I use paper clips taped to my wall…
I left it out 5 times. I not do dat again.

Hamstring is the tightest string I have ever found on the market, lol

I was thinking about this, and I thought you may like this stuff to
http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm?pID=10550
And I think this stuff is the stuff I really go for (right now)
http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm?pID=1928
You might enjoy both of these if you were to consider mass production.

Mini update.

I want a nice soft string, what would you recommend for that?

There are many good options available. Personally I love how smoothly the mara 100 thread by Gutermann breaks in. Keep in mind that on string usually takes about 16 passes (16 threads) which can add up to about 50 yards a string. Wooly Nylons tend to be incredibly smooth, also silk can be very smooth, and provides one of the best controlling weights for slacks. If you want to cross over to embroidery thread Gunnold Embroidery thread is in my opinion the softest embroidery thread.

Thanks! I’ll check them out.

Now to any who see this. What’s your favorite thread.

I have done very little string making, but so far my favorite is 14 count string with sulky rayon.

I’ll try that, got that exact stuff.

That’s a good string. Just gotta get the tension right. It’s hard to keep it from going crazy.

Probably this poly sewing thread I get from a website. I use it to make my type 1 string. Its really soft, yet whips well. Also maybe Coats&Clark’s Dual Duty

1 Like

Not to sound like a smarty pants, but coats&clark covers just about every kind of thread there is. :Upolstry Nylon, Dual Duty XP, Embroidery thread, Quilting Cotton. All kinds of stuff.

I use there nylon a ton with poly.

Well mine just say Coats and Clark Dual Duty Poly covered poly. But they do make a lot

I can’t pull the knots tight… The tread breaks…