making strings.... looking for knowledge

OK, a little bit about me - when I (really) get into something (hobby) my first question is what can I mod/change/tweak/make-it-my-own - so most of the tweaking in Yo yo is not really noticeable (unless you want to set up an anodising lab, no thanks) - that’s where strings come in… (I also do screen printing as a side business, and I’ve tossed some yo yo themed shirt designs around, but that’s another project for another time)…

So I’ve researched the how-to’s of making string but it’s left me with a couple questions - looking for knowledge from those who have done it.

1. thread type - there are three main types; embroidery, quilting and serger. There are slight variances between these types - any of them more desirable than the other? Any reason NOT to use a particular type?

2. thread weight - most common polyester weight is 40wt. That an ideal weight? Should I look at a different weight? What about cotton, it seems to come in a wider variety of weights - even a 12wt.

3. thread length - one set of instructions said 107" in starting length - but it doesn’t say exactly how much the string ‘shrinks’ in the twist, is there a basic percentage? Example: if I’m wanting a finished product of 44" what should my starting (before twisting and doubling over) length be (about)?

4. between cotton and polyester thread - does one shrink up (while twisting) more than the other?

5. anyone find a better mix combo when doing a poly/cotton string - just 50/50? More poly, less poly?

Again, thanks for the help - just want to play around with some options

1. Use sewing machine thread
  2. I don’t mind weight
  3. Take your desired string length, multiply it by 2 and add 16". This is the distance from the twisting mechanism to the stationary item.
  4. Not that I’ve found. Nylon and fishing line do though…
  5. I’m liking a 11.5% Cotton/88.5% Poly thread I did for my Lyn Fury…