How to make a better yo-yo string?

I already know how to make yo-yo string, but I would like to know any other ways to do it so that I can make various strings at once. Also a list of thread types along with their average cost and durability. Also how many loops will it take to make a reasonably thick string made of the materials you mention.

Apart from this, I was going to buy some polyester to make string and there were different types of polyester like trilobal polyester and spun polyester; I ended up buying spun polyester because it was cheaper, and it is horrible, it doesn’t last long enough, breaks very easily, and it’s very thin. I thought every type of polyester was good.-By this I mean how many loops to make a reasonably thick spun polyester string and why this happens with this type of thread. Help me! :’(

Thanks! ;D

1 Like

I actually love spun polyester, make sure you use enough threads so it can be the right thickness. :wink:

How much threads?

It depends on the thickness.

A type 6 string will be 12 treads basically. 8 is 16 threads 9 is 18 treads and so on. Later.

Keep it spinning™

Untrue:

Slick 6 is thinner than slick 8, while type 10 is the thinnest.
Type 9 is in between 6 and 10 as far as thinness.
Slick 6 is a 3x2 strand
Slick 8 is a 4x2 strand
Type 10 is a 2x5 strand
Type 9 is a 3x3 strand

1 Like

Okay, since there is a thread on this, I do not have to make a new thread.
Just wanted to ask, how many loops do we have to make around the nail for a slick 6 string?

I had to go down to my maths in this one:

If you make three laps/loops around two anchors, you will spin 6 threads together (3 strands)
Then you double that when you do the “put a weight on the middle and let it twist” step (2 strands)

I belive that gives you type 6 string.

Addment: According to math it should.

YoYoNAtion 100% Poly Highlights. THE BEST.

What does this have to do with homemade string.

Addment: YYN highlights is nothing but colored polyester, just the same stuff you get here, colored polyester.

Anyway, here is some text action to help you out: (Written by Paul Wallace)

String Making ::: A do-it-yourself instructional tutorial type thingy

This is a simple ‘single string’ rig and method that I used when I first began making my own string.
With this method you can make string for your own personal use.
This is by no means the ONLY method of making string, it is merely how I started.

PLEASE read this through several times thoroughly and TRY THE PROCESS before you post questions that will make you look like an idiot.
Although I have endeavored to be as detailed, yet basic, as possible I will be editing and updating this post as required to offer more explanation on areas that may be causing confusion.

Note: I have been making G-string for over three years so MUCH of my process is very ingrained into my personal muscle memory.
This means I may miss/fail to explain sections/moments that I think are blatantly obvious. Post here and let me know.

I am NOT going into any depth on the types of thread supplies you can use.
Check your local sewing supply store, raid your moms (or dads…this is a new century after all) sewing supplies.
Try every type you can and see what happens. This is all about having fun and experimenting.

So, let us begin.

Here is a basic list of materials.

• 1x small nail

• 1x plastic push pin

• 1x small screw hook
    (All three of the above could also just be three plastic push pins, the above is just better for the process)

• 1x twisting device (Your choice of: drill, dremel, obscene amounts of patience and a popsicle stick)

• 1x paper clip (bent into a hook with a length to go into your drill/dremel)

• 1x measuring tape (at least 12’ in length)

• 1x Wall (or flat surface area) of at least 12’ in length

Okay, now onto the logistics.

There are THREE main areas to this tutorial and my method of string making in general.

1. Measurements

• Finished length
    • Doubled length
    • Final length plus twist shortening
  2. Points

• A : Starting point
    • B : Center point
    • C : End point
  3. Steps

• Run
    • Twist
    • Fold
    • Kink

Now let’s explore the rig.

I personally set each item (A, B and C) into the wall at roughly shoulder height. Try the height you think will work for you.

Start at the far left of your wall.
A : Starting point

Place the Nail into the wall here.

B : Center point
Measure what you want for a FINISHED string length
(The length YOU want to use PLUS a few inches to make the loop.)

This is from A to B : Center point

Place the small screw hook into the wall here.
Make sure the hook opening is facing upwards.

C: End point
Measure your FINISHED string length again, this time from B to C: End point
Add 15-20 inches to your FINISHED string length for twisting.
Place the C (push pin) at this measurement

C will be the end of the loop from which we will do the twisting.

Now, the string making process.

Run (looping the string onto the rig)

Tie your thread onto the nail A

Walk over to C
Loop the thread around C
Walk back to A

Repeat as many times as you feel is necessary
Each run from A to C is one layer of string
If you wanted 1x10 you would make 5 round trips of A-C-A
…make sense?

Once you have finished your Run tie the loose thread end to nail A

After you tie it off, walk to B, and be sure all the thread is INSIDE the hook.

TWIST (tightening of string to desired tension)

You will notice there is now a LOOP at the C end of the rig

Slip the paper clip hook through that loop
Pop the loop off the hook, you are now holding the string on your twisting device

Tighten as much as you want.
But do not tighten more than the FINISHED length (+ a few inches for tying the end off, as we need to fold this in half.)

You can twist this clockwise OR counter-clockwise for left-handed use if you choose. it doesn’t matter.

NOW, THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Keep the string under tension from A (a.k.a. TIGHT) as you remove the paper clip hook thingy.
NEVER let go of the string. this will lose all of the tension you have instilled into the materials and the string will suffer the consequences. (A.K.A. it will SUCK!)

Hold the loop end and fold the entire string down, under B, and over to A
Use B as the center fold point, this is why we have a hook here

Tie it, with the excess we saved, to the A nail

Now, the important and most integral part of the entire string making process…the KINK.
This is when you remove the string from B and let it ‘kink’ up onto itself.
This is caused by the tension you have created during the twist.
You are now holding two lengths of twisted thread that are trying to untwist themselves, each in the opposite direction from the other.
This is what provides a yoyo string with tension.

Grab a FHZ, or any other yoyo you have handy. (Don’t worry you big babies, this won’t ding your metal sweetheart)

Slip the yoyo in BETWEEN the two twisted threads of string so the string now wraps around the bearing in a loop.
The yoyo should be in the bottom of a ‘U’ of twisted thread

Pull the string off the hook B, but also be maintaining the tension from point A
Hold the string about 6" up from the yoyo and let the string KINK(twist) up using the yoyo as it’s tension holder.
Slide one hand 6-8 inches up the string length and let this new length ‘kink’ itself up.
Continue up the string until the entire length is kinked.

Tie a simple knot at A
Cut it off with a pair of scissors
Make your finger loop

Viola…you’ve made your own yoyo string!
Congrats!
…Now, go make more until it’s perfect.

Most importantly, have fun!
If it’s not fun…quit. Life is too short.

Please do NOT PM me with your questions of this process.
Post your questions in this thread and myself, along with the community at large, will try to help as best we can.

Gsimian - aka Paul Wallace
www.yoyoGstring.com
Put this in your gap!

Hope it helps!

I bought a plastic one, col.111. Blend that with polyester and it makes a nearly unbreakable string. I used it for a month. Perfect for whips/suicides. However, it is very stiff, and doesn’t really break in. So I stopped using it. ;D 25% Plastic by the way.

My main maker is a Dual Duty xp all purpose polyester on polyester thread. (I know doesn’t make sense.) I do a total of 16 threads, and it lasts about three weeks. I use the ones sold here in three days.

uhm, sorry for off-topic but how do you make the string after you twist it, it won’t untwist again?
(i mean example I’ve done to twist the threads, it will untwist, what will i do?)

You’ll need to fold the string in half while keeping it straight. Then have some weight (such as a yo-yo) in the end of the loop that you just created (when you folded it over) and let the string kink itself. Tie a knot at the top and there you have it!

(Yeah, I’m probably not that great at explaining it.)

You still haven’t answered my question:

-Also how many loops will it take to make a reasonably thick string made of the materials you mention.

Also:

• By this I mean how many loops to make a reasonably thick spun polyester string and why this happens with this type of thread.

Thanks! ;D

To clarify, after you have finished, you fold the string in half while keeping it taut. You should have your yoyo in the fold, so you’re folding around the yoyo. Then, just hold up the two ends, and the yoyo will spin together your string.

Get Dual Duty Xp. Lasts 3 weeks, and I burn the ones here in 3 days.
The loops should be… 16 strings total, 4 total winds around the drill.
It costs around $5 for 250 yards. Polyester covered polyester, 100% Coats and Clark. So it is around 10 cents per string.