Thoughts on my next yoyo purchase, most likely a bi-metal (#BlackFridaySale@YYE)

Cool

1 Like

It was at least 10%/15%/20% unlocked depending on how much you spent. Donā€™t remember a 5% but then again I didnā€™t buy anything last Black Friday.

4 Likes

I could be mis-remembering the lowest end. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Not yet, but this was last yearā€™s discount and I believe it was same the year before.
So I am hoping for something similar this year.

2 Likes

This was incidentally the year before (2017)

1 Like

2016, so hopefully the tradition continues.

Todayā€™s practice session went so poorly, that I feel like I should lay off buying more yoyos Black Friday or not.
And just focus on practicing to get better with what I have instead of drooling over new stuff.

5 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m at that point too. I think Iā€™m gonna do one last blow out then really limit my collecting from Dec onwards. Gotta do that with miniatures, too. A touch too much retail therapy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™m at the point where if I feel the itch for a new throw, I can grab one that I probably havenā€™t played in awhile and itā€™ll pass the Marie Kondo test better than buying a new throw.

4 Likes

My house is super into being KonMarie these days :slight_smile:
And we decided to keep our kids as they sparked joy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Quick update to my list.

Going a little backwards but, decided against the Overdrive Draupnir which was where my heart was initially leaning towards.

I decided that Iā€™m going to pick up a MK1 Diffraction v2 by @MarkD during the Black Friday sale.

So going to take expensive toys out of the list, i.e. Draupnir is now out of the picture.

To be fair, I donā€™t think an expensive premium yoyo like the Overdrive Draupnir should have been on my shortlist anyway on hindsight.

Kind of super excited to try out a wider yoyo and support people who I like at the same time. I think Iā€™m more excited about it now, than I was when thinking about getting a Overdrive Draupnir actually.

Although right now I canā€™t wait to just go home, spend time with the kids, put them to bed and practice those pop n fresh!!!

2 Likes

Hi @nonja121 so now I gave up on Overdrive Draupnir, and def want to purchase a @MarkD Diffraction, I am going to go against everything I said and buy 2 yoyos haha.
(and live with the consequences) and also over $150 is free shipping so that is like a $9 subsidy.

So can I ask you what you think about Grasshopper GTX / Barracuda X / Orbital GTX (and TopYo Dominator) since you own these?
I think for my first Bi-Metal I will go with one of these choices and stick to sensible budget. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll say this about all those choices:

• Grasshopper GTX: amazing performance and playability.
  • Orbital GTX: a very good performer, but a little too wide for my tastes.
  • Barracuda X: very interesting shape; never played one though. I donā€™t care for the engraving, which keeps me from getting one, if Iā€™m being honest.
  • Dominator: amazing performance and playability. Least expensive/best value of the bunch.
3 Likes

And if the $4 difference was negligible to me? :slight_smile:
(not because it is, but as I said, I donā€™t mind spending a little bit extra but getting fewer yoyos in terms of quantity)

1 Like

Then Iā€™d go with whichever one has the colorway you like best. Honestly, I would not be able to choose between the Grasshopper GTX and the Dominator otherwise. They have nearly identical specs (the Dominator is 1g lighter though) and are both an absolute joy to play. However, the Dominator comes in many more colorways atm.

3 Likes

Thanks @zslane!

1 Like

I actually donā€™t own the Dominator (yet; itā€™s in my cart :smiley:) but happy to talk about the others.

The Grasshopper GTX definitely has more presence than the others you mentioned but it doesnā€™t feel heavy. Itā€™s really great for carrying momentum forward from one element to another. Awesome flow.

The Orbital GTX is floatier and seems to me to be almost the exact opposite. Itā€™s really easy to add/kill momentum on this but you have to be really intentional about it. If you watch Tal Murdoch, he does a lot of popping his jo straight up and ā€œconstructingā€ mounts etc around it if that makes sense where as JĆ”nos flows more through elements.

The Barracuda Xā€¦ itā€™s been awhile since I touched that throw and itā€™s probably my least favorite of the lineup. I can throw it around after work and see if I can get you some impressions. I remember that I preferred the Yoshicuda X though they play super similarly IMO.

2 Likes

Okay threw the Barracuda X around during a break. Itā€™s very middle of the road and kinda plays like you would expect a bimetal rounded H would. It plays very well but I feel like it doesnā€™t stand out vs the others in its lineup. It plays kinda like how a bimetal Meta might play IMO. The Yoshicuda is smaller so it feels a bit more dense, and I like that extra denseness.

Also threw the Orbital GTX around a little. I retract what I said about floatier, not sure thatā€™s the right word. It moves fast if you push itā€”and itā€™s easy to get moving fastā€”but still stops at a dime. Still stand by what I said about momentum esp vs the Grasshopper GTX.

2 Likes

Thank you @nonja121.

With your feedback and @zslaneā€™s I think I can quite confidently just pick up a Grasshopper GTX or a Dominator depend on the colour I fancy (currently looking at the burnt orange GTX) alongside the MK1 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Grasshopper GTX is indeed really good. Havenā€™t tried a dominator but it has a shape I really like.

4 Likes

Grasshopper GTX is already sold out :scream:

I noticed the Black Friday sale going live too late :sob:

3 Likes