Need help buying a yoyo

Hello everyone! I bought a Recess First Base on December and I have learned a few beginner tricks. I would like to buy a bi metal yoyo to continue practicing but I can’t decide on which one. I would appreciate any suggestions to help me choose. My budget is around $130 and I was thinking on getting the Nobumecha but I would like to see more suggestions.

4 Likes
6 Likes

The grasshopper gtx is amazing and if you get it, you could get another throw in addition.

The Grasshopper GTX is stable but also kind of has a unique float to it. A definite reluctant slower mover on the string though.

It is only 75 dollars, which is not horrible for a bimetal yoyo.

5 Likes

Heard good things about the akita! Maybe one to consider!

2 Likes

I would get it but the colors I want aren’t available. The light blue or the red one.

2 Likes

Yes, I really like the gunmetal fade one.

2 Likes

Get a B-Grade Civility…

Then with the $100 you’ll have left over, take me out to a steak dinner to thank me for recommending it.

9 Likes

Just wondering, since you just started throwing in December and if your only yoyo is a plastic, why do you want to jump to an expensive bimetal for your first metal?

6 Likes

How about a Haymaker for @50? @Stanleybrando
That;s a great deal for a nice Duncan bimetal.

Don’t overlook budget yo-yos like Magic and Topyo. $100 price difference won’t automatically take you to the next level. They play great too.

4 Likes

I totally agree :100:! Get the Civility. It is such a good yo-yo for the price. It still remains one of my favorites and it is great for learning lots of tricks because of how much power it has. And on the bright side it is only $40 for a b-grade which I have not noticed anything wrong with at the moment. Oh and did I mention it is only $40​:joy::sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Sounds like you already picked a winner. If you want a bimetal purely for performance reasons, this is gonna be top tier.

Just to throw a couple different options at ya, the Redacted and IQ came out recently and seem to be getting positive feedback around here.

3 Likes

On the notion that it is for practicing new tricks If it HAS to be bi-metal in this order :

• yoyofriends Vulture
    -personally what I use to learn new tricks if not Atmos Ari

• yoyofriends peregrine
    -very close and often on BST and super awesome bi-metal with wide gap as well but rings on outside not as many tricks AS easy as vulture but basically the same imo (ymmv lots of small nuances that make them leagues differences if comparing specific traits)

• yyf flame
    underrated bi-metal spins long time smooth and easy to land tricks on also seen a few pop up on bst recently I think

• Atmos stormberry
    H shape ish organic that has the longer spin of bi-metals but not as easy to land certain tricks on imo and doesn’t spin ASSSSS long as the above but still more than a monometal

If it doesn’t have to be bi-metal specifically:
I personally recommend any One Drop yoyo you like the shape of since they all spin very well

Lots of them have similar spin time in my experience (maybe can’t do a fancy bind at the end of set of tricks is the only difference)

Also having a slimline yoyo under certain ideas of practice might be worth like a OD panorama or DD kanto but they’re often harder to get a hold of it likely but man you get accurate with your tricks fast on them.

3 Likes

Quick thought about this from someone who’s been doing modern yoyo again for about half a year (So I’m only a little ahead of your curve).

Once I got a couple of decent unresponsive tricks under my belt I also felt I “needed” a nice bimetal after having played a couple of monometals.

Result: I dinged both my “nice” bimetals (Magicyoyo Focus and Yoyofactory Flame) so often and so hard that the rings started getting displaced and the yoyos developed vibe. Now luckily I’ve been able to fix this for both those throws. But looking back my advice to myself would’ve been

“Better get a nice Monometal because you’re less likely to damage it in a way that’ll affect play. Refine your playing a bit first, then buy one in another 3 months or so, you’ll be more likely to appreciate the difference from other throws and also more likely to keep it in good condition.”

That said. If you do feel like you really NEED a bi-metal and won’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I’d suggest a nice budget one. With a nicer monometal so you can contrast the two.

Vosun makes a couple of very good bi-metals for very good prices. Also there’s the Magicyoyo Z02 Chosen which if it’s an improvement on the Z01 should be pretty darn good. They both cost more along the $55 price than your full budget.

With the remaining money you could then buy a very nice Boutique monometal. Something from OneDrop, Gway, or one of the many other excellent brands from passionate people who care greatly about what they put out.

Or buy something on the secondhand market here and also save yourself a bunch of money.

(I happen to have a nice Budget bimetal for sale…for example for less than half of your budget (shameless plug)

9 Likes

A lot of good points here!

1 Like

I felt the need to have a nice metal when I was a beginner. Same result, every nice yo-yo I had at that time period I damaged in some way. Budget yo-yos are really good these days. Like really good. Something like the YO3 hertz didn’t exist in 2013. Around that time I had a yo-yo jam surge and thought that was one of the best cheap yo-yos. Nothing wrong with dings but just sayin, don’t get upset when you do. Throw over grass maybe?

1 Like

Don’t spend $140 at this point, there are some good budget bimetals to try for example the Civility and Magicyoyo Z01 Focus. Like others have said practice with a mono metal is probably best until you progress some more.

3 Likes

Agreed. Couldn’t hurt to get a looper or two and an offstring so you can try some other styles.

It did exist, it’s the MagicYoYo N12 Shark Honor. Probably the most recommended budget metal yoyo of all time.

3 Likes

suggesting laevatain, c3’s yoyo, good for beginner .
it spins very powerful and longtimes, and can move very comfortable

I suggest getting a cheaper bimetal to start with because you’re most definitely going to mess it up from hitting it on the ground. Here’s a few you should look at: