Need help buying a yoyo

Magic yo-yo was not the same company in 2013

1 Like

U can’t go wrong with magic yoyo shark honor very good throw but thrs better now. for the price its awesome tho

3 Likes

Really? To me, they have always been the company that puts out decent yoyos at extremely affordable prices and that doesn’t seem to have changed since then.

1 Like

I won’t say anything bad about the company. I think they have great products. They just use to get a bad rep.

1 Like

You will find no shortage of suggestions here. The great thing is that almost no one makes bad yo-yo’s these days. Just about any choice will be a good one.

Welcome to the journey :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, they used to have a bad rep for being so extremely cheap that people thought they were up to something shady to be able to sell their yoyos at such low prices, and also for their quality control issues (it’s still better than YYF and Duncan though, heck it’s even better than A-RT, so I don’t know what people are complaining about), which is to be expected since they had to have huge runs to make such cheap yoyos. Back then the community was much more fascinated with boutique yoyos and made in USA stuff than budget yoyos produced in China and were kinda sick of mass-produced yoyos from big companies, so Magicyoyos weren’t all that desirable.

Still, they have been doing the same thing since 2009 so I don’t know why you would say they were a different company back in 2013.

I wouldnt recommend a Bi-metal as a second yoyo. I’d suggest something like a topyo Silenus. Moderately priced sturdy. On the wider side, good spin time, and medium speed on the string. Recognition had spin time that will rival many bi metals. Lots of great choices. Bi-metals are more delicate ding em and the rings may get loose. Monos will take more of a beating.

4 Likes

It’s a broad term, maybe they were the same company but people had different opinions on them. Plus I’m pretty sure they machine their own yo-yos, which is why their prices are so cheap

I gotta echo the sentiment of some others on here, if it were me (and it was me not long ago, will be one year this April since I started playing modern yoyo) I’d stick with a cheaper monometal for a while.

I’ve been impressed by the Colossus V, for $20 it’s shockingly good and I play mine regularly. The Silenus is also super nice for the price.
In the $50 range there is a plethora of amazing throws, personally I’d recommend the YYF K.O. if you can find one.

If you really want a high-priced one now, I love my C3 Speedaholic MAX. It oozes quality and refinement and feels awesome on the string and in my hand. But I can’t do any better tricks on it than I can do on my Speedaholic XX, or my K.O., or my Colossus V. And I only play it at home in a safe environment when I haven’t been drinking because I don’t want to ding my only >$100 throw. So it’s really a luxury item that I don’t enjoy as often as my cheaper throws.

Basically, once you get above around $60, the law of diminishing returns kicks in hard. I’m not saying that the higher-end throws aren’t worth it, but in my opinion they aren’t worth it as a yoyo to learn new tricks on. If you do buy an expensive one, maybe buy a cheaper one as well so you can have a take-everywhere throw to practice with.

Just my opinion I guess. And opinions are like noses, we all have one and they all smell.

Ivan

5 Likes

I see.

Yeap they do, they’re a manufacturing company like YoYoFriends (FPM).

Hello everyone! I appreciate all the suggestions that I received from this post. After reading, watching reviews and considering every option I went with the Civility. Since the Civility is a great yoyo for the price I would like to continue practicing and getting better before going for a more expensive yoyo. There are a lot of yoyos that I really like, but I’m sure that I will damage them if I get one now. So I’m really grateful for all the suggestions.

9 Likes

Great choice! You will not be disappointed!

1 Like

The Civility is a top notch throw whether you are learning or are advanced.

Toss it for a few hours, then come back and let us know what you think!

2 Likes