Things that are occasionally annoying about yoyo

Don’t get me wrong I love yoyoing overall but there are some things about it and about me that irk me.

These are:

• When I practice yoing too much and have to take a break because I end up not even being able to land a trapeze reliably (does anyone else get the over-practice bug where they try to learn something and temporarily become worse unless they take some time off?)
  • When the yoyo consistently manages to find a new place to thwack your hand in a place that isn’t hardened against impact
  • Spending approximately an equal amount of time unknotting your yo string to the actual time spent yoing when you’re learning a new GT trick
  • Missing a basic aspect of a trick mid-combo when there were more complicated things you already did in the trick that would make more sense to miss
  • How it becomes 90 times harder to yoyo when you’re trying to film yourself yoyoing

What are things you find occasionally irritating about this hobby?

10 Likes

That pretty much sums it up. I’d like to add:
-being asked to do the DNA
-being asked to walk the dog with your nice bimetal
-yoyoing in front of people

10 Likes

I hate when I get whipped with a tail from a bad bind.

7 Likes

Weed Whacker Binds! Yes those can hurt.

For me:
Filming a trick - It used to stress me out beyond belief when I was active on social media. It was more stress than it was worth and in the long run, views were waning so I no longer felt the drive to keep it going, wasn’t worth the stress

Trick ruts - everyone will hit one or has hit one. Those moments where the next trick you want to learn is too difficult but you’re ready to move on. Perhaps a step in the video just isn’t making sense even if to does (happens to me many times)

People who, while they want to see your tricks, end up moving closer and closer to the point they risk getting smacked.

People who judge you and think you have no life because you took on a hobby which they see as “nerdy” and not mainstream.

8 Likes

Oh the thing about moving closer! That happens with kids a lot and I always get nervous cus they just want to see the yoyo and don’t know any better

5 Likes

I’m not a fan of narrow gap width (4.4mm below) it keeps my regular string snappy during mid play even worst if I do multiple string layers the spin time decreases due to pads+string friction.

3 Likes

The sound of my spin slowly dying because I got the gap overloaded with strings. Not enough to instantly kill the spin or bind or anything but just enough to slow down the rpm’s an annoying amount. Also loud yo-yos in general.

6 Likes
  • Being stuck in the same routine and not learning new tricks.
  • Only doing variations of tricks you do every time in an attempt to make something new.
  • Hemorrhaging the last string you have and procrastinating on buying new string
  • Getting a bearing dialed in only to have it suddenly get loud and dry (it was playing sooooo good!)
12 Likes

The most annoying thing for me is when I am playing and the bearing randomly decide to become responsive and take me back to the 90s yoyoing style of play, usually when this happen is nicely accompanied with a strong return on my hand knuckles.

5 Likes

It never fails….

Every time I try to build a full size Pyramid out of yo-yos in my backyard, it rains before I even get halfway to the top😉

4 Likes

Dirty bearings in general are annoying. Most of the time, they get crunchy in inappropriate places.

4 Likes

Most recent annoying thing that happened was getting a split callus on my throw hand middle finger. I have had to wear band aids while yoyoing because it hurts like hell to throw the yoyo sometimes.

8 Likes

The dry air recently caused a split on the knuckle of my NTH pointer and when the string lands in the split it really hurts. I used some of that krazy glue bandaid stuff to protect it a little, but also have been using one of those three fingered gloves that comes as a free gift when you order a yoyo from China.

7 Likes

I thought I was immune to cutting the wrong side of the string.
I mean, who could be so stupid, right?

4 Likes

There’s an annoying catch 22 in yoyo where you get better at yoyo so you can learn harder tricks and figure them out quicker, but then the tricks are harder so they take a lot more time to go from landing it to smooth to mastered (3X in a row on 5 yoyos). Kind of annoying because I have too many tricks that need to get smoothed out better and I gotta pause learning new stuff to do that.

2 Likes

I didnt need to know this was possible, thanks

1 Like

When you go to take off the slipknot and it accidentally knots into the loop, making it super small and uncomfortable around your finger the next time

5 Likes

wait what?

2 Likes

See how the loop got super small and there’s now a huge triple knot? This happens occasionally when I tie the loop too small to begin with, I go to take the slipknot off my finger and it catches and makes another knot instead of going through the loop. You can definitely get it out but it’s just annoying lol

6 Likes

I’ve had this happen too I think if it gets like twisted when your tying the knot might have an effect but I don’t have the data to say for sure

2 Likes