The ultimate maintenance guide

1. bearings: i find the first thing to when my bearing is messed up is de-shield if you don’t know how to do this yotricks has a great video right here: How to Clean a Yoyo Bearing - Paper Cleaning Method - YouTube
    this video also shows you how to clean your bearing I find isopropyl alcohol works better but if you want a quick run down you fill a small cup or shot glass to about 1/8th and soak the bearing for like and hour this is if your bearing is crusty of if you over lubed it, anything significantly hindering its spin.
    to take bearings out you can carefully use plyers or use a special tool (make sure the plyers have a circular opening in the back) other wise use thin lube for an unresponsive yoyo when it becomes responsive and thick for when a responsive yoyo turns unresponsive

2. response pads: you don’t need to know too much here if they fall out or if its hard to bind then replace them, in terms of preference it depends thicker response pads bind tighter but sometimes accidentally bind aka snag and slim ones don’t bind as hard so you may sometimes miss but otherwise its really up to preference ( i prefer slim)

3. axel: if the axels stuck CAREFULLY grip it with plyers and twist otherwise yoyofactory bearings have a hole on one side and if you have one of their bearing removal tools you’ll find there’s a little metal stick you can put it in the hole and its kid of like a screw head (only do this if you have to and make sure you check if your yoyo even has a removable axel)

4. vibe: for bi metals you can take a hammer and put a towel on top of the side and CAREFULLY hit it around the outer rims this will drive them further into the yoyo and reduce vibe (this only works of your yoyo has outer rims if you want to learn how to do it with a different type of yoyo like the og edge or a yoyo without outer rims click here How to fix Bi-Metal Vibe )
    for monometals maybe screw it together otherwise try different axel or bearing configurations

if you have something else to add please reply to this thread

p.s thin lube alternatives: sewing machine oil, trumpet valve oil

5 Likes

Highly advise against doing this unless you absolutely have a reason to. If your yoyo is playing fine, don’t remove the axle if you don’t have to. It’s a good way to either strip your yoyo or strip the threading on the axle. I feel like I’ve seen more people complain about having ruined their axle because they wanted to remove the axle for no real reason and took pliers to it.

Also keep in mind the yoyos that don’t have removable axles. People taking pliers to a Replay Pro axles and ruining them feels like a pretty regular occurrence.

2 Likes

I think Flowable Silicone is worth mentioning. I was a bit overwhelmed with pad variety so I just went with flowable and I’ve never looked back. The only downside is you have to wait 24 hours for a full cure.

4 Likes

How to remove stuck axles with no risk:

Jam nut

Lock them together then unscrew the lower nut.

Only works of you have enough thread to work with.

8 Likes

guide updated!

1 Like

didn’t even know that existed

2 Likes

It would seem there’s more than meets the eye to being “the ultimate…”
Take a look here: Useful modification & maintenance guides -- clean, repair, tune, fix yoyos

2 Likes

yep - another here for the flowable silicone

1 Like

Anyone want to add a knowledgeable fixed axle maintenance to this? Specifically tmbr axles? Anyone know how to safely change them out?

2 Likes

Mini Strap wrench for the axle

and the dull end of a butter knife for the caps

Don’t be forceful, slow even tension

3 Likes

I successfully protected the axle of my Krystal yoyo by tightly and thickly wrapping it in electrical tape before attempting to remove it from the hub, as it had become stuck in the wrong orientation. This method allowed for easy removal without causing any damage.

3 Likes

So does this one, and it works so much better…

4 Likes