Axle stuck with bearing on it

I need help I have a wedge Yoyo and the axle got stuck with the beating on it and the bearing is also stuck what should I do

2 Likes

It’s extremely frustrating when something like that happens, but sometimes, it’s unavoidable. The best thing you can do is to not screw the axle in too much. A couple of turns should suffice.

As for how to get it out, if grip strength doesn’t do the job, use pliers. I would use a thick piece of cloth to wrap the bearing, however. Otherwise, you will certainly cause some damage.

2 Likes

My advice would be to carefully wrap some card or cloth around the bearing and using some pliers, grab around the bearing, try and grab the outer edge of the bearing furthest from the yoyo half.

Then, with the bearing tightly gripped, wiggle and pull the bearing outwards, being extremely careful not to lean the pliers on the yoyo half. Hopefully it should pop off, but yoyofactory bearing seats are notorious for being very tight and hard to remove.

If you want to get the axle out, wrap the axle up in card or cloth several times around, the grip with pliers and unscrew. Be very careful not to damage the thread of the axle with the pliers, so use plenty of cloth and card.

If you can get the axle out but the bearing is stuck dispite using the pliers method, I read a good tip from another forum member about using a drill bit to free the tricky bearing. Place a drill bit that is the same size as the inner race of the bearing and lever it out with a side to side motion.

I hope this helps and do be careful not to damage the yoyo in the process. Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

6 Likes

For a standard “C” size bearing that is commonly used in most YYF yoyos 1/4 in. drill bit is the one to use.

2 Likes

If you have to use pliers I suggest cutting a strip from a teflon pot holder and wrapping it around the bearing. It is soft, sticky and strong enough not to come apart when you apply pressure and twist.

2 Likes

I can’t screw the Yoyo back because the axle is messed up so I want to get it off and buy a new one

What exactly do you mean by this? Is the yoyo screwing together, but not holding? If so you may have stripped your threads.

1 Like

If the axle is already damaged, just use a pair of pliers to get it out of there. Just cover the bearing with teflon tape, like @RABid suggested, to avoid any damage to other parts of the yo-yo. Getting the axle out should be fairly easy this way.

2 Likes

Go to the hardware store and get a replacement. Most YYF use a 4mm x .7 mm pitch set screw. But take the yoyo with and see what the correct size is. If you can’t find a set screw get a regular screw and cut the head off to the proper size. Smooth the cut end with a fine file or coarse stone.

4 Likes

Ya it’s just endless screwing

So I have a wedge Yoyo and the axle is ruined and is also stuck inside the bearing. The bearing is also stuck and I have tried to use pliers to remove the bearing and the axle what should I do now

Try harder…
Wrap a couple of wraps of making tape around the bearing. Grab it with the section of the pliers that looks like a hole (behind the tip). Wiggle and pull.

Then work on the axle. If as you say it doesn’t tighten after turning, it is probably stripped. You could try putting some thread lock in the threads and let it set. Otherwise it needs to be retapped to a larger axle size. This is not a trivial task.

5 Likes

Put the yoyo in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Then try the pliers thing again.

Metal expands and contracts with temperature, you might be surprised.

2 Likes

Use pliers to take the bearing off. It will come off. It’s not like it’s welded to the yoyo.
If you’re worried about damaging the bearing, wrap a piece of cloth or something around it to avoid scratches.
Don’t worry about the axel. Just put the bearing on the other side of the yoyo and screw it back together.

2 Likes

To clear things with the axle when I try to put the Yoyo back together it just keeps spinning and won’t go back to normal

1 Like

I see. Sorry to say but in that case either the axel is stripped or the piece it screws into is stripped. Either way sounds like that yoyo is done. Time to eat the 20 bucks and buy a new one, or something better.

1 Like

Dang that sucks

The only thing is that with a different axle it does screw on

Can you remove the old axel with pliers and replace with the other?

1 Like

If I try hard enough yes