How to fix Bi-Metal Vibe

disclaimer. I’m not to be held liable if you mess up your yoyo. But if it’s vibing hard, then the yoyo is already messed up so you got nothing to lose.

I dink my GTR Beta a lot because it’s what I use to learn tricks on, so I needed a way to fix the vibe everytime I dinked it. I feel like the subject might’ve been brought up before but I figured I’d let everyone know my way of doing it.

The remedy is very simple. Take your yoyo apart, and hit it with a flippin’ hammer.

Seriously though. Take an old plastic yoyo apart so you can use the hub as a sort of spacer between the bimetal and your hammer. It also gives better coverage/protection for your hammer against the nice bi-metal you dinked first day (definitely not me). Then hit it with some good force. I’ve tried hitting it dead center, and tapping it around the edges, both seem to get the job done for me.

I can’t get it dead smooth like it is out of the box, even if you hit it harder, it will never go back to dead smooth perfection (I have a mint one to compare it to). But this will fix almost any amount of vibe incurred by a dink, even if it’s got unplayable vibe like mine has had several times, or big finger nail vibe, etc.

Idk if it works on other bi-metal designs where the rings sit on the catch side of the hub, or the inner ring hubs. I also don’t know if those designs are affected by dinks as much.

Good luck.

5 Likes

Korean YJ YoYo makes this tool too help with that same concept of Bi-Metal repair.

12 Likes

edit: found it, they should link it in their youtube. 12$ for one is a deal! This is awesome.

I stole the idea from here

6 Likes

A PVC pipe cap from the hardware store would probably work great as well, just put a layer of masking tape on the yoyo where it contacts to protect from abrasion.

Ivan

2 Likes

I was gonna snag one of those things from YJ, but… it cost the same amount to ship it as the item itself. Thanks for the suggestion, that’ll work just fine.

1 Like

PVC pipe sounds very interesting. I have a yoyo that I think might benefit from that. I’ll have to jimmy rig something like that.

1 Like

So I ended up placing the yoyo cup with the inside (axle side) down on an opened vise. I put some leather between the yoyo and the vise to protect the finish of the yoyo.

Placed a piece of wood on the rings. Whack with a hammer, turn the yoyo clockwise a bit, whack with a hammer, turn clockwise etc.

Then did the same with the other cup.

Result:

Edit: Both videos were shot in the same slowmo setting. No changes.

10 Likes

Beautiful, I’m glad it helped someone! Love the slow mo vid, that really shows how much this little process helps fix vibe.

1 Like

I did this with my hand on the kitchen floor for my DINGED chopsticksRilla and it’s dead smooth again it’s dope haha

1 Like

Does this work for mono-metals as well ?? Cause I have throw i hit on my kitchen counter SUPER HARD and it vibes worse than a broken tractor :sob::sob:

I don’t think it would work for mono-metals, the process here is intended to re-seat the weight ring which can apparently get knocked slightly out of position from dings.

However you could try replacing your axle, they can get bent. if you remove the axle and roll it across a piece of glass you should be able to see if it’s curved or straight.

Ivan

3 Likes

Thanks for the help :grin: I’ll check out the axel then to see if it caused anything thanks again :wink:

wish i’d tried this before selling my chopsticks gorilla for super cheap :frowning:

3 Likes

Will this work for yo-yos with rings that aren’t on the edge(like Civility, edge, ect)?

I don’t have any other bi-metal design to test if it works for other seated designs.

I have a feeling that if the steel ring is on the inside of the hub, you could take a wood dowel or something similar, and a hammer to tap the ring back down into place.

As for rings on the actual profile of the yoyo, like a wish or dunk, I’ve got no idea other than doing a similar thing, hammer to the steel ring to set it back down into place.

I would also like to know if these other designs are more durable, in the sense that if you ding one of these designs, do the steel rims move even though the steel ring isn’t being hit during the ding.

I’ll take this one.

It does. But you have to figure out a way to put the pressure on the rings on the inside. I’ve done this with my YoyoFactory Flame as well. Which was developing vibe.

It’s now dead smooth again. For me I used the same vise/workbench method. But if you can get a pvc pipe that has about the same diameter as the rings then it’ll probably work as well.

Inner rings I suspect the same thing. But Can’t be sure. Honestly if you go careful. And protect the rest of the yoyo. And try to make sure that pressure from your blows/hits presses more than just a single spot on the ring in to the yoyo (spread out the pressure with a pipe/plare/whatever) then it’ll probably work.

Disclamer:

No part of this message is intended to form any part of any contract. The views expressed in this message are not necessarily the views of my employer, and the company, its directors, officers or employees make no representation or accept any liability for its accuracy or completeness, unless expressly stated to the contrary. This message is not intended to be relied upon without subsequent written confirmation of its contents. This company therefore shall not accept any liability of any kind which may arise from any person acting upon the contents of this message without having had written confirmation.

Following tips is offcourse all at own risk…also, please be careful when hitting round things with hammers…they tend to bounce if you hit them wrong.

5 Likes

Ok thanks I’ll have to try it. I have my Civility on the ground so many times. It vibes like crazy

1 Like