I did an oopsie :( ding on the Duncan GTR-JS

Hello guys,

Please may I ask your help, yesterday I was hardcore playing with my GTR-JS, I was at home and on a carpet, at some point I ding the yoyo quite strongly on the carpet, I literally heard the metal sound even from the carpet.

The yoyo seems to have no damage, I inspection the rims as well and seems fine but the yoyo vibe quite a lot now and Idk why, there is a way to solve this? Please help, the Duncan GTR-JS is literally one of my favourites yoyos, I throw it everyday from when I get it and I would love to keep using it, the vibe is quite affecting the playing, I can really feel it on the string.

Thanks a lot,
Alberto

4 Likes

I’ve been there my man… but the great news is that it’s a really easy fix!

Take the axle and bearing out of the JS so BOTH halves of the yoyo look like this:

Then, simply lay it flat on the floor (like in the photo) and step on the half. Do this for both halves. It sounds like a joke but I’m not kidding. I’ve dented my regular GTR and JS, it got hella vibe, and I did this after a recommendation from Justin Dauer (team Duncan) and it went completely vibe free afterwards. This snaps the ring back into proper position. You may even hear it/feel it happen when you do it. If you’re not totally comfortable putting your entire weight on it right away, you can gradually apply pressure with your foot. Definitely try it!

Highly recommend (!!!) putting a sock or something in between your foot and the top of the yoyo half, so it doesn’t hurt when you step on it. AND a paper towel in between the floor and the SS ring so you don’t scratch it up.

12 Likes

OMG soooo much thanks mate, trying this immediately when I am back home, hope it will work and seems really an easy fix! I will let you know once done but thanks so much for the advice, basically the ding let slide out a bit the rims??

Also so jealous of your version of the JS, is the super coolest one with the Evangelion references and sick colourway!

3 Likes

Its ring shift, Spence accurately described the method to fix it. But I advise against putting ur full body weight bcoz the ring may just warp. I would use my palms and put force on the half and gradually increase it. Dont forget to put in a layer of padding between the floor and the yoyo.

6 Likes

You can also use a cone shaped object like a plastic string spool or a pvc pipe on top of each half and hammer em in.

That’s how I’ve managed to fix ring shift from outer/inner rims and also capped ones. Hammering also makes it easier to control your power.

2 Likes

One questions about all those methods guys, if I do not hear any click or pop how do I know that I successfully did it? I mean literally when I know that is time to stop put pressure.
Thanks a lot everyone for the help

You may or may not hear anything, especially if it’s covered with something. If it makes you feel any better I’m like 230 pounds and I’ve put my entire weight on one half before lmao… so I think you’re good :sweat_smile:

It may take a few tries, but the only way to know for sure is to just reassemble and test.

1 Like

If you have some sort of “cup” you can use it too. This setup is used to set rings on a chisel but any’ol cup that is hard will do. It just needs to be a smaller diameter than the yo-yo.

Towel over the yo-yo, cup on top, a couple of shots with the mallet.

The tool that comes with Shutter EVO is for this specific task too.

4 Likes

Don’t step on it. Get a rubber mallet, put on a flat surface (preferably wood as it won’t scratch the metal), then tap gently around where the response pad is.

YYF also sells a bimetal alignment tool for 10$.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if any of these tricks work with an inner ring bimetal? Same kinda thing happened to my Legato 2 where it picked up some vibe after a smackaroo. I just didn’t wanna mess with it and make it worse other than trying to flip the axle/bearing etc

1 Like

Omg guys IT WORKS!

I did it with the palm of my hand on a soft carpet, I heard in both cups a little click, assemble the yoyo back and it’s smoother than when I received it lol

I bought it second hand and it came with a slight vibe (nothing crazy honestly) after this process it became glass smooth which make this yoyo even more incredible!

Thanks sooooooo much for the help, I was worried that I destroyed it!

15 Likes

ayyyyy!!! how awesome!

2 Likes

you would need something to rest the inner ring on i think, if you have a ball or something that you can sit the yoyo on and push straight down (carefully of course) that might work.

2 Likes

It’s possible, but you would need a specific sized pipe-like object that would be able to push against the rims.

Oopsie Ding! Sounds like a new trick.

So I was combing through the shelves to play something I hadn’t touched in a while. Nothing sprang out, as I usually keep everyone in rotation. Then my eye landed upon the Orbital GTX below. I had purchased it during a yoyo day sale direct from Duncan (not THAT yoyo day, a good one before that :joy:). It arrived with some pulse vibe, and they graciously replaced it quickly and said I could keep the viber. It has sat on my shelf with a big ‘B’ sharpied in the cup until today and this thread came to mind. I disassembled the halves, cup down on a little square of leather on my floor, and put my full 280 on each half. This thing is virtually vibe free now! I had sold the good one a year ish ago so this is a welcome revelation!

7 Likes

@Albertino im going to try this with the Noema!!

Yours is vibe? I own and doesn’t vibe unless bearing or something is off let us know bro

I have got the same experience as you, super smooth this is why I told @Bobparty to try to reallign the rims it can be that arrive maybe a bit defected or just need a bit of tuning which can happen.

This method to reallign the rings works every time for me when I ding my bimetals!

2 Likes