I Dinged My Bi-Metal Yoyo

Title says it all. I just bought an all new bi-metal yoyo (pretty expensive) It has outer SS rims and a 6061 Aluminum body. I dinged it pretty hard against a pillar today. Unsurprisingly, there were no markings whatsoever on the SS rims but the impact dislodged the rims from its original position and basically destroyed the balance of the entire yoyo. Now the yoyo vibes like crazy. I tried pushing the rims back to place with my fingers but it wouldn’t budge. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Please :_:

It may help if we knew what exact yoyo it is. This isn’t the first time this has happened to someone. Could you show us some pictures of the damage?

1 Like

ive fixed rainflys by laying a towel or something soft over the ss rings and then lightly tapping them in place with a small hammer. The kind of hammer that comes with computer tech kits for gently helping things into place.

Don’t pound hard on it just lightly tap the rings and slowly shift them into place. The slower you go with more precision the better the results will be.

rubber mallets also work, just pretty much anything with a head that can be used to lightly tap the rings back into position.

1 Like

Thanks for replying guys. To be exact it’s a ThrowRevolution Vertex. It is a superbly amazing throw, plays better than a draupnir in my opinion, but the ding impact was really hard and the rings were slighty dislodged. Here’s a link a picture of it. https://scontent-sin1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t34.0-12/12357990_964985746906774_1936626398_n.jpg?oh=9b9da60da3ed3439b4655b067acaaca0&oe=566E37F4
As you can see the SS rim (at the edge of the yoyo) is out of place. Albeit slightly, it seriously disturbs the balance of the yoyo. I am considering hammering back in place hmm…

so lay that half of the yoyo on the table with the cup facing to the table laying flat.
Then lay a small cloth over the yoyo and gently tap down on the ring starting from the very inside going towards the outside very lightly and very slowly.

This may work, but i have actually knocked the rings off yoyos when ive done it too hard…

Thanks a lot! I will take your word for it and attempt it XD Will update this post after that. Meanwhile, out of curiousity, does this method bring about any future repercussions? Eg. loosened rings, easily dislodged again or is it a foolproof way to getting the yoyo back to the way it was?

no fix is fool proof… ive never dealt with that bimetal before so i don’t know if it will leave any lasting consequences…

Thanks for the suggestion! It took me virtually the whole day, but I managed to somewhat slowly hammer the ring back into its original place. It’s not perfect as before, but it significantly reduced the vibe and imbalance caused by the ding. Thanks a lot! ^^

I purchased a vibey rainfly with the rims popped off the side, and I got it to be significantly smoother. It must stink for you though, after you dropped the $180 on a new yoyo.