The sounds yoyos make...don’t you love them?

I can’t be the only one. I enjoy the sounds of throwing. Sometimes some yoyos make annoying sounds, sometimes they’re totally silent. Personally, I love yoyos that are not totally silent but create a soothing metallic ringing and I love the sound of a great bind. The bearing, the body of the yoyo, the string…all working together to create a tiny symphony and I am the conductor. It’s like hearing one of my favorite songs on the radio.

17 Likes

Absolutely. Love the “ting” of titanium and, to a lesser degree, 7075. Love the satisfying “thwap” that many of my throws make when they return to hand. Love that each has a unique sound spinning, hitting the string, binding, and hitting my hand. I’m with you, @ChrisFrancz.

8 Likes

I love the image of a symphony created by a good throw. I totally agree.
I appreciate a silent throw. To much noise isn’t pleasant… but there is a symphony in a beautifully thrown trick. Bearing, binding, sliding, catch!
Take a bow!

3 Likes

Was coming to post the same thing! :smiley: Such a cool, SUPER satisfying sound!

3 Likes

Yes! Anyone posting vids of tricks should take a bow after their bind. This is my new rule. I will no longer like trick videos if there is no elegant bow after the bind. It’s all about being classy.

Or how about sound clip loops of the Sounds of Yoyoing to Fall Asleep To? This could improve a throwers skill level. Listening to a difficult trick might help in the learning of that trick.

4 Likes

YoYo ASMR?

Yep! lol

8 Likes

This yoyo sound makes my ears weep :*(

5 Likes

The sounds made when throwing are very satisfying. I agree, all the small sounds - bearing, body, string - come together to make a complete experience. The sound of a metal yoyo while thumb grinding is my favorite for metals.

The other sound I absolutely love, although quite frustrating, is the sound of a plastic yoyo with starbursts…that high pitched whine when giving the yoyo a tug to come back and the string slips on the starburst is music to my ears. My Fireball, Ballistic, and Transaxtion all make this glorious sound. Unfortunately, I heard the sound of string slips a bit too often with my Fireball and Ballistic so I had to put friction stickers over the starburst :joy:

3 Likes

Good sounds when you get a perfect bind.

8 Likes

I Absoulutly LOVE the sound of the whir of the bearing, but unlike most, i cringe at the Ding of metal making contact with floor

P.S./Edit: I also love the sounds of binds

6 Likes

I can’t hear anything :frowning: Not sure how to turn the sound on for this clip

2 Likes

IDK about yall, but when a bind ends up like this image
IMO its un-satisfying. (kinda like a snag. there isnt the Thwip of the string)

2 Likes

I have found over the years that different sounds give yoyos a sort of ‘personality; like car exhaust systems. Obviously some sound better than others.

Dead quiet yoyos are ‘quiet’ alright… But I find yoyos with a little ‘sound attitude’ to be more entertaining.

Silent yoyos put me to sleep. <> Look at the Watch… you are getting sleeeepy, sleeeeepy, etc.

…Now on the other hand. Over the years I have a very Clear experience that ‘others’(especially non-yoyo people) find Noisy yoyos: aggravating, distracting and just generally disturbing in the form of Noise pollution.

I have heard comments like: Mad at somebody?/ Doesn’t that bother you?/ What is wrong with that yoyo?/ Cant you fix that?/ Does that sound make it spin better?/ Do they all sound like that?/ Can’t you ‘hear’ that?/ <> Or they just make ugly faces.

But then again. If I don’t know then already. They may just be Ugly naturally.

Personally, I love a little noise. But not when it sounds like the bearing is SCREAMING in pain and eating itself alive.

My 000, my Spaceship and my Ti Krowns make the most interesting sounds.

The value of sound can be as dynamic as the multitude of individuals subjected to hearing it.

Most people like their dogs’ bark much better than their neighbors do…:wink:

11 Likes

That tail pulled cleanly into the yoyo, btw :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

I love the way all of my YoYos sound. Woods, plastics, aluminums, and titanium’s. I also like the feel of a yo-yo on a string. Silent and completely smooth throws are a bit jarring. I just don’t like when a bearing runs dry and starts to sound like gravel in a high speed trash disposal around people in a quiet environment. I become all too aware and self conscious that I’m disturbing the peace (but by no means do I stop).

4 Likes

Those last three YoYos you listed are all ones I wish I had the pleasure of owning. You is lucky, Sir.

3 Likes

Love this bro!!!

2 Likes

Yeah I love the sound of a perfect bind. I noticed that some Yoyos can sound better than others. When I play with my Edge, there is just something about it that sounds so cool. When it glides across the string it sounds different than any other yoyo I have. I love it!

3 Likes

In mother Russia you no put yo-yo to sleep. Yo-yo put YOU to sleep!

4 Likes

Sorry… I just woke up.

What did you say?

2 Likes