The Last Stand by Evan Nagao

Like calling a yo-yo forum moderator a “nazi” in a Facebook rant? The negative comments I’ve seen here seem pretty tame in comparison. When you live in a glass house you shouldn’t throw stones.

9 Likes

Not sure what that has to do with anything here?
And yes the comments here have been tame and not insulting I agree, I’m just stating that it seems the direction of the comments onna couple could have been done so more tastefully.

1 Like

wait what?

1 Like

I started and stopped on writing that same post…

1 Like

I’ve been wondering where the waves have gone, myself

3 Likes

It’s my experience that people make art because they enjoy making the art. My wife, who has a degree in fine art, was always told by professors that the worst thing you can do is try to make art people want. Instead you should create the art you enjoy and are inspired to make. I seriously doubt Evan considers if it’s ‘what people want’ when he creates a new trick or a new song which is as it should be.

It’s undeniable that the word God has more meaning to more people than any other word in history. Damning God in a song in an attempt to express how smooth you are will certainly limit the audience and potential popularity of the song in my opinion. I don’t personally use speech like that, but am not generally outspoken on the topic of religion either. Im not trying to put down his music or this song. As an aspiring musician myself I appreciate Evans’ musical talents and originality. I especially enjoyed the change of cadence to the lyrics and the unique ‘rap like’ delivery of some parts. I simply want Evans’ art to reach as many people as possible whether it be music or yo-yo or a music video with yoyo in it. I suppose ‘taint’ was a bit too opinionated of a word to use, but it does sum up the feeling I was left with after listening to this otherwise inspiring, uplifting, and overall great song.

6 Likes

I agree with the Gnome.

1 Like

I don’t see rap having any issues with popularity, and a lot of it is incredibly vulgar, hateful and misogynistic. And I love hip hop so I’m not hating on it. Just saying I don’t think Evan will have any issues with a minor swear in his song.

1 Like

Is ”G…” “D…” an insult or a minor swear?

(this is a serious question btw. English is not my first languange and if I were to tell you the number of words and prhases that doesn’t mean what they actually mean in translation from english to spanish i wouldn’t be able to finish).

3 Likes

Depends who you ask. America is incredibly secular so most people would see it as very minor.
A small percentage of incredibly devout religious people would perceive it as a serious insult to their sensibilities.

1 Like

Might want to not type it out (I think you’re not supposed to here?)

I’ve always thought of it as a swear one but one that isn’t too severe. There are songs with lyrics so much worse than this that almost everyone listens to. Having 2 of these in your song isn’t gonna turn away a lot of people.

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph. Which is why I don’t at all understand your second point. He created what he wanted to create. What is the importance of creating art with regards to the thought of how many people are going to consume it? Art is the vision of the artist, so why bend that vision to reach the greatest audience?

I do appreciate you clearing up what you meant by “taint” though. It is kind of a strong word that makes me think of up turned noses, you know? I understand now that this was not your intent.

4 Likes

Not so sure about that. I think America is more puritanical than many other countries.

2 Likes

This conversation is teetering close to this… just a reminder…

10 Likes

I think this song is good. Any type of music created with the intention of being a genuine artistic expression and not a product to gain clicks or sell ads is good in my book, even if the genre/sound is not my cup of tea.

8 Likes

I really liked this song in my opinion Evan hit a home run

1 Like

Burn in Hell; you heathens.

May the mighty Axe of Valhalla fly on the wind and land dead center in your peach pit.

We… on the sacred forum; are so true and pure of heart and thought. That the slightest sacrilegious mis-step should cast one into the burning netherworld for pain unending.

Only he who is free of sin should even consider casting the first stone.

Evans’ cataclysmic lyrical sin; only means the World is close to Total destruction.

We… are All equal.

So; let’s All pick our bars of soap. And on the count of 3; one big bite is the start of atonement.

…A 2 gulp rinse is protocol.

Blow bubbles for extra points.

7 Likes

It appears that many have misinterpreted my comment as some sort of moral rebuke of Evan. The only stones I’ve seen cast on this thread are at those who expressed an opinion on a obviously sensitive topic.

ALL I’m saying is that if a heathen like me feels uncomfortable playing this song for his kids then there will certainly be many others who have a similar feeling. It is definitely for my selfish reasons of wanting to share Evans art and talents with as many potential yoyoers as possible that I wish GD wasn’t included in the song. Not a knock on Evans art or spirit.

4 Likes

It’s a well crafted yo-yo advertisement, with a touch of rough language.
We’ll be on the lookout for… wait for it… another yo-yo design.

1 Like

Yeah, I got what you were trying to say. The reactions here give credence to your point about people’s sensibilities, and how they can react around them. Not that there were extreme reactions, or invalid ones. But yeah, a simple two words can alienate people…

3 Likes