The Last Stand by Evan Nagao

I guess this is the right spot for this?

15 Likes

Meh!

2 Likes

Just wish he hadn’t tainted the song and reduced his potential audience with the GD’s…

2 Likes

Wow some disrespectful comments on the first go around. Y’all need to respect what Evan has done here even if it’s not your style or as clean as you want it.
I think the lyrics were awesome and very meaningful and I am so excited to see where Evan goes in his music career. Much love.

8 Likes

It’s music. There’s no such thing as tainting a song because of the lyrics, it was written that way. It wouldn’t be THIS song without THOSE lyrics. People make art for the people who want it, not for the people who are gonna claim it as tainted because of two meaningless words.

11 Likes

agreed

1 Like

This is what’s so disheartening about being a musician. You can work for hours and hours on something, agonizing over all the details, and it’s so easy for someone to just flippantly say “Meh”.

I’m not even going to argue over the validity of the assessment. Evan put it out there, and it’s there to be judged. I’m just saying, “ouch!” I feel a little pain in my heart for him; some empathy from personal experience.

7 Likes

Excuse me Myk-Myk, but my meh wasn’t aimed at Evan…it was aimed at you!

5 Likes

“can i muster one last hour?” of yoyoing?

1 Like

Ill respect his yoyo career and passion. Praising art because of who it comes from invites mediocrity in art, and I’ll never do that. It isn’t even close to my style of music so I will refrain from judging it, but saying people can’t have a negative opinion about it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

That said, Evan’s routine in nats/world last year still remains the best routine ever imo. He’s a yoyo legend. As far as music, tbd.

7 Likes

Not really my cup o’ tea, but I did enjoy the Edge references lol. I think I liked the “Waves” song better.

1 Like

I also liked Waves more and I think he’s got potential but I find a little too much repetition in his lyrics right now.

2 Likes

I think it sounds nice

3 Likes

Plus it has yoyoing in it!

He sounds a bit “meh” about it in the description, so…

1 Like

Oops, I had moved to unrelated :grimacing:. Didn’t know about the yoyoing in it!

3 Likes

that bind at 2:35 looks simple but pretty amazing

2 Likes

It’s ok to not like a style of music, but to outright not show some respect for the craft and what has been done is pretty low. I never said people couldn’t have a negative opinion on it, but that’s something better kept to self and not on a thread like this.
I’m not a big fan of country music, but I’m not one to go talking down on a new country track release simply because that would be dumb, REAL dumb. Even as a song I can’t get into, I still can appreciate lyrical creation, skill of the musicians and their instrument, etc.

2 Likes

If they put themselves out there they are accepting potential criticism. It’s not a safe space.

5 Likes

Of course. I was just commenting on how hard it is, really for any art form. It’s so easy to criticize, and so hard to create. But yeah, it just goes with the territory.

You could say, “If you can’t say something nice…”, but I guess an artist has to know when to follow their vision, and when to recognize valid critiques. Negative criticism has to be there for that to happen.

I was just feeling empathetic…

2 Likes

Yeah of course nowhere is required to be a safe space and I’m not saying that. But there’s a point where it should be common sense of what to say and not say and when to do so.

3 Likes