The ‘I should have known better but did it anyways’ thread🙀

So embarrassing but now I welcome everyone to laugh at my private shame :rofl:

4 Likes

I have to admit to having done this once also, so I share your shame. At least it was a safety throw over carpet when I did it.

My worst one was with a really nice B grade bimetal superstar I had just gotten, no idea why it was a b-grade it was perfect in every way. Since it was 5A may and I had just gotten a cool new counterweight also, I decided to try some 5A with this. My wife and I were out in the garden, she was planting stuff and I was about 20 feet away playing with my new toy. It seemed like a safe place, soft ground, no obstacles nearby, I need this because I am comically bad at 5A. After trying a few simple tricks to get a feel for it I decided to give it a good throw and try something longer, as the yoyo came around towards a trapeze the knot somehow undid itself and the string slipped right through the counterweight and my hand. I watched in horror as the yoyo sped directly towards my beloved, who was facing away from me. Luckily it missed her and crashed loudly against a big planter that was right next to her, bounced off something else and then rolled off. She really did not appreciate this. I can’t blame her. Needless to say I was done yoyoing around her for a while, and I have learned to make sure my counter weights are very well secured. The yoyo itself has some nice scuffs now, but by some miracle still plays dead smooth.

8 Likes

Indeed, lucky it wasn’t a real disaster! On this Thanksgiving we should give thanks for our significant others who tolerate us throwing metal rocks on the ends of strings at high velocity.

6 Likes

I let my brother use bring my ray tracer to school this is what happened in one day

7 Likes

Okay, what was his explanation for all that damage? That looks like an EDC after 7-8 years.

2 Likes

He’s that size but he’s 11

3 Likes

For some reason Doc Pop’s yoyos always come with absurdly long strings. I had the same experience with my executive. When I threw it the string was almost taller than me. Luckily I was playing it over a mattress so no damage to the yoyo.

2 Likes

This is why I always buy duplicates of a throw I want to keep pristine. One for display and the other to edc. Plus half swapping is fun too.

2 Likes

The worst part is… so do I… my EDC Grail was literally on the way in the mail when I did this.

2 Likes

When I was 11-12 I read on ES about cleaning bearings so I figured I’d use dish soap.

When I was 15 I had a DM2 for exactly 3 days before I played with it directly under a ceiling fan with a particularly ornate light fixture.

When I was 23 I was disassembling an RSO E1nsTien for shipping after receiving payment and the bearing had popped out of its seat. In an effort to avoid the immense hassle of having to bend down and pick it up from somewhere under my chair – I pressed my thumb down hard over the bearing to catch it on its way against the aptly named catchzone, leaving a scuff in the raw finish.

3 Likes

I got some new spoolthread string and put them on my tako.
Took the tako for a random evening walk and start throwing.
Realised that the slipknot does not stay tight on the finger but was like I can manage its fine no biggy.
Yoyo flies off my finger next throw and goes about 50 feet bouncing off the concrete and hits a wall.
Still dont know how to use nylon strings or markmont formulas😅.

3 Likes

Oh man that’s sucks big time :frowning:

2 Likes

This seems to fit here once again:

Another time as a kid, red imperial again, I had been trying to spin the yoyo on its side, pretending it was a UFO. That imperial was used for imaginative play as much as it was for yoyoing. I got pretty good at holding the string, instead of putting it around my finger, and after throwing it on its side, letting it fly in a trajectory that allowed me to chase it through the air and catch it. This is exactly what I was doing when I say the neighbors kids plastic swimming pool, filled to the top. My thought was, "I bet I can skip this yoyo like a stone in UFO fashion acrossed the pool. Wound that imperial and let it go as hard as I could. It worked! One skip off the top of the water across the yard and right through the basement window! Breaking windows seemed to be the norm for me as a kid. Went home got some money, walked next door offered the money and asked for the imperial back. Two weeks later I got my money back when the neighbors kid broke a window at my house lol.

8 Likes

Love it. hahaha

This summer, after a nice outdoor throw session, I was sitting in a chair on a stone patio. After a while I totally forgot that I had stuck the yoyo between my legs on the chair. When I stood up, the yoyo went rolling across the entire length of the patio and is now the most damaged yoyo I have. Fortunately it was already my edc due to some light damage. Now it’s my edc due to heavy damage, lol.

7 Likes

Use some form of double slipknot. The easiest to explain is just make a slipknot with the slipknot, so the first slipknot cinches down onto the string. That can be a pain to loosen, but works great.

A better double slipknot, you make a slipknot, twist the loop and pass the string through it again, so you get an extra wrap around the string… Lol, that’s probably not helpful, just watch this video by @twitch77

6 Likes

Damn thanks a lot just tried this!!! Game changer!

4 Likes