The Duncan FREEHAND is back!

I also want to say yes but can’t confirm. I can try tomorrow. Putting your custom caps in a Freehand?

you read my mind lol. I’m fortunate enough to have like 5 butterfly XT’s from our swag give aways, and i would love to have an all black freehand with the RH caps lol. i was planning on giving them all away to friends who love our speakers (and maybe will like the yoyo too lol), so i dont want to destroy them. I tried removing the caps, but the custom RH ones felt glued in (I might have just been being too gentle to avoid damage lol)

2 Likes

Is there a general consensus on the best way to make these bois unresponsive? Have a few and would like to turn at least one unresponsive.

2 Likes

I put a clean, flat NSK bearing with a single drop of thick lube in one and it started fairly responsive (less than stock), and now its basically unresponsive. Id assume if it was clean from the start it would be unresponsive, especially if it was a centering bearing.

1 Like

This may be a long shot, but is there any way of removing the logo from plastic caps that doesn’t involve sanding?

If it’s the same printing/paint as the FHZ, you can use brake fluid on the logo and just keep rubbing to get it off.

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can pick up a size a NSK at Nats. I wonder if there are any shims that fit the FH? Anyone know?

I put in a center track A sized bearing in my Freehand and it became perfectly unresponsive.

5 Likes

I failed to remove the Freehand caps today using the “pushing real hard against the axle” method :man_shrugging:

The Big Fun cap fits my Butterfly XT, and the Big Fun cap is compatible with Freehand NextGen per this and I can’t find a good source but I’m pretty sure caps on the NextGen and One are interchangeable.

2 Likes

I did the same, I just used a super fine, but wide flat head to pop them out via the gap between cap/body. did a little physical damage (little flat spot on the cap/inner rim) thats barely noticable when they’re reassembled.

thanks to you i had the courage to try and remove caps on one of my butterfly XT’s and BOOM!! going to try dropping these in a black freehand later tonight =]

9 Likes

My custom Butterfly XT caps did not fit in my Freehand =[

My NFK Butterfly XT caps fit on my Freehand 1AL and the AL caps fit on my XT. You may just need to do some light sanding to the edges, I needed to do that to fit my Taka Freehand Caps on to my FH1ALSB. I’ve also swapped out my caps several times on my Freehand 1Ti and FH1P with out any issues, I even put Trans-AXtion Caps (The first Capped Duncan yoyo from 1998) on a FH1P for a few weeks. Remember the caps aren’t machined to tolerances as tight as aluminum and sanding can help with really tight ones, at least getting that ridge down.

16 Likes

i couldnt even get them to press fit on either half i tried it on, i was kind of shocked too. i’ll try sanding though. thanks a ton for the tip, it felt strange that they didnt fit. i would have assumed they would all be more or less the same, thank you for confirming that.

The caps are all around 48mm, give or take 0.5mm. The NFK caps were rather tight and I couldn’t nut push them off the XT and had to use compressed air. On my Ti I’ve notice tighter caps that make the cap flex when pressing it on will sometimes pop off, @bjardin recommend the sanding and it has worked for me with finicky plastic caps. Now, some of the V1 XTs (Translucents) from 2013 the caps are a little under 48mm.

2 Likes

yeah for what its worth, i could not nut push these custom ones, i thought they were glued at first. will for sure try again tonight after some light sanding. thanks again, really appreciate it =]

1 Like

Yeah, this Cap swap is Pretty Sweet if you ask me. Bionic with Black Caps

Throw Duncan! @bjardin

13 Likes

Did anyone figure out how to remove caps on the new Freehand One without damage?

1 Like

Yes, a pair of 6/32" nuts for removing the axle then use compressed air from a pump, like Taka shows on IG, you only need about 30 psig to pop both.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-_JpNJBTjr/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

@yoyodoc also has a video

5 Likes

How does this work? Isn’t the axle stuck behind the cap? How does the half attach to the pump?