The buddy system.

As far as yoyoing goes, I feel it is important to have something of a buddy. Someone who keeps you at it, who you compete, but collaborate with. So who is your buddy and why?

I have quite a few yoyo buddies.

First I’d have to say ratfacedudeguy for many reasons. Whenever he gets a new yoyo, or sees that he has a yoyo I want, he’ll do his best to get it to me, with minimal stress to either of us. He takes good care of me when it comes to trades, and he’s an all around cool guy. Congrats sir you are my buddy.

One of my VERY first buddies is named Alex. He started about 6 months before I did, and when I found out there was another yoyoer in Iowa, I lost it. He was always there, treating me like a little yoyo brother, demeaning everything I did, but thats the sense of competition that took me past normal. As fate would have it, Alex, would become my team-mate at DTI, and I couldn’t be happier. Lex, you mah buddy.

Another buddy of mine is Brain, otherwise known as Apetrunk. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have stuck with yoyoing, and wouldn’t be at the level I am today. He always dishes out good advice and is a funny dude to talk to. Smartest guy I know as well. Grats Brain, you know you’re my buddy now.

Another of my buddies is named Mack, otherwise known as RebelThrow. He’s just a neat guy to talk to, and has the betterment of the community in mind. Grats anarchy, you’re mah buddy.

And d4rk0n3. For the pure fact that he tells it like it is. I don’t get to talk to him as much as I’d like to, but I will work on that. Grats, you’re on a list.

But one of my best yoyo buddies. One of my best friends really, is named Jake. He’s on the forums, but I won’t even attempt to try his code name. I had the honor of being invited to his home to stay a weekend. IT was amazing. I pride myself on having ideas. Concepts. Things I could never execute on my own. Jake can take what I’m thinking, and make it happen on a yoyo. It’s incredible. We play off of each other so well, I’m style and flow, he’s tech and speed. I steal his tricks, he steals mine. I love the boy to death. Jake, you’re my brother <3

So are your yoyo buddies and why?

2 Likes

Q, your my buddy. you tell it like it is. you are blunt and rude, but sometimes that is a brutal smack in the face when someone is out of line, and it usually sets people straight. you are opinionated, but back it up.

also, Cameron (and his yoyo). for about the same reason. you can be more polite sometimes, but you also can get off track and even though i only met you once or twice, it seems like every conversation i have had has been logical and helpful.

also i would just like to give my official camera man, reid, a shout out. he doesn’t yoyo, but he has learned a thing or two.

and my friend grant. if it wasn’t for our bored day in santa barbara, we would have never gotten 2 ducan butterflies and i would have never started yoyoing. i wish he started yoyoing as often as i did, but he just started again, and he has the most beautiful brain twister i have ever seen.

and basically everyone for making this a good place

Edit:
forgot a few:
patrickcondon, you always leave (like Q and cameron) helpful, smart, thoughtout, and blunt answers that i always apreciate when someone is out of line.

and Gizzyo. what can i say, who can hate him?

Q, you’re at the top of my buddy list too. And this also reminds me I needed to get back to you about our most recent pending trade lol.

Leecos187 is a super chill dude that I’ve had the pleasure of throwing with a few times, getting each other amped about new throws, swapping advice on building tricks, etc.

stephen_cameron was my #1 yo-yo buddy for a while there, but sadly he’s fallen into the deep and muddy well that is the land of non-throwers. Sad to see it all happen, but I’m glad he’s pursuing other interests that hopefully yield a bit more utility than yo-yoing.

Elliot Ostergaard, or 3a all day. Always talk to him at school and we’ve hung out at competitions. Cool to have someone who’s serious about yoyoing who lives close to me.

Samad has always been a friend of mine. Very funny guy, and fun to be around.

James Reed, or Jamesofyoyo is a very cool guy to hang out with as well.

Hmmm. I dont really have a yoyo buddy :’( . But, my cousin who i am in the process of trying to teach him… doesnt really count. He kinda has a really small attention span and he wont let me teach him anything.

I honestly thought you were gonna say B-rad. lol You are a smart boy.

Never…lol

you’re all my buddies! I look at how far everyone is and i use it as influence to come up with more tricks and to improve so i can atleast try to compete with you! It’s all too fun and I love you all in a brother/sister-like(for the few ladies we have here) way and i hope that you all keep being awesome!

Jim (Gizzyo), you’re my yoyo buddy. We’ve hung out on plaenty of occasions, and every single time I grow to realize just how much you’ve influenced me, and hopefully the other way around as well :wink: . We have great chats about business tactics, new ideas, projects, and all the other things this great world of yoyoing has to offer. NO matter how serious or rediculous our conversation may be, you always approach it with a suprisingly mature and intelligent additutde that many people your age just don’t posess. I love how you can pretend to disregard all my new tricks (and silly names) but still provide an enthusiastic additude towards practically everything I do anyways. You are quite the friendly and mature young man and continue to keep me pumped for our future in the wacky world of yoyoing. Thank you.

Of course I have to mention everyone else in our NH/MA posse: Ben, Joey, Steve, Max (Non-yoyoing traitor, you :wink: ), Durfee, Dana, and mabye Bug. Just kidding, Bug’s cool too :wink: . You guys are a well rounded group of individuals, each with seperate interests but somehow united by this silly toy. If it weren’t for you guys, I would still be that one guy I knew, playing with a yoyo all alone. Chatting with internet personas is one thing, but actually having a group to hang out with and share good times with is what makes it all worth it for me. Screw yoyos, I’d hang out with you guys any day. I consider all of you my yoyo buddies.

2 Likes

Welp lets see, here is my list, in no particular order.

XminusmikeX, Simply put he is one of the most awesome people I have ever met online. He helped me out before when I was in need, we constantly chit chat about various topics while he is at work and I am just waking up :stuck_out_tongue: Mike is an all around great guy. We also have some family difficulties in common and it is good to discuss certain situations with him.

Q, I gotta throw you out here because you know, Quinton can make a completely absurd post one moment and the next blow you away with a level of deep thought in threads like this. He always keeps it interesting. Not often to I fall upon one of Q’s posts and not chuckle.

Icthus, I would have to throw you up here simply because whenever I have had a question/concern or otherwise any topic to discuss he always responds with a helpful answer or interesting outlook upon a situation.

Not to mention with the 3 people listed above, it is nice to have a nice mature conversation every now and again, I am sure we all need to have one of those from time to time :stuck_out_tongue:

Mike Montgomery, this man and I haven’t spoken in quite some time but that doesn’t mean I don’t see what he and his company are doing. This man is living proof that anyone who puts their mind to something CAN achieve at least some level of success. Mike, you are living breathing inspiration and I love that about you.

And last but certainly not least, Zammy! Zammy and I also haven’t actually spoken in awhile but again what a living legend in my eyes, against any and all determination this man works hard to spread his love, wether that be yoyoing, moebius, or charity this man is great. He may get down on himself from time to time but wether he wants to admit it or not he is always has a positive outlook, which is something I want to strive for, to be honest I am actually a pretty grumpy and miserable most of the time. I see in Zammy some of the qualities I hope to instill in myself.

Welp guys there you go, that is my list. If you didn’t make the cut, I’ll see you next year at tryouts, now hit the locker room you maggots! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: (j/k in case you can’t tell o.O)

2 Likes

I don’t really have a yoyo buddy either. I’m trying to teach some of my friends.

apetrunk, hes always helpin me out and giving me suggestions

smole idk you but your avatar is hilarious

^
this
plus Eliot Jackson

Really, no one else has anything to say on this topic? I don’t believe it. This is a good topic I think, it make people consider those people who matter to them and why.

My post is coming soon. But I am working on making it touching.

EDIT:

Pat, I’ve pretended to be your friend so I could steal your style.

Love,

Jim

P.S. You Suck.

Way back in June of 2010 I panned a NH meet. Not many were around where I lived and I thought there wasn’t going to be much of a turn out. Well I was PARTIALLY wrong.

We had many come like: Steve, Dana, Ben, Jim (me), Bob, and Pat.

I talked to Pat, chilled for a while and knew there was something special about him; he was a wack-job. I keed. Pat was a great guy, hyper yet funny. From there on was history.

Pat and I have spent a great amount of time together. Not only talking at meets, we also have just plain chilled, yo-yoed, and hung out too. It’s not like I just speaking to him with the forum, its actually talking in person.

Pat as you can obviously see is ma Yoyo pal. From that first day of the meet he influenced me. His flowy and slow style does not trick anyone. It’s purely astonishing. Not only are his trick mind-boggling but there names are twice as incredible (my favorite being: Captain Adventure Face or whatever its called :P).

Not only does Pat’s trick speak out, but his personality does too. Pat’s a great guy. He tells it like it is. No ifs, ands, or butts. He doesn’t care if one speaks down on him about yo-yoing or what not. Pat is in his own little world and doesn’t care what others think about him.

Pat, without you my hobby would be were it is today. Thanks for influencing me so much.

<3

-Jim

Other shoutouts go to YYJBen for he was the one who got me started into yoyoing and all of the NH meet throwers.

Zach Smith is my yoyo buddy. He really does keep it fun, hes a really cool guy to hang out with too!

WOO
HAA
WOO
Zach Smith.

HMMMM, let see…

d4rqk0n3, for the exact same reasons why I’m his buddy (other than the fact that I’m at work and he is…well, you don’t need to know what he is doing when we talk :smiley: )

Icthus, for always being there for me whenever I have a modding question I can’t find the answer to or can’t figure out myself.

Q for being the first person to ever request a custom FreeHand Mikey. Plus he always finds a way to make me laugh ;D

MaxL…he’s my internet man lover :smiley:

And last but not least, Fajar Siddiq. By far, one of the nicest, most down to earth, fun to talk to guy I have had the privilege to ever chat with. He always has inspiring things to say for both life and yoyoing.

…I’m sure I could make this list go ON and ON but I’ll stop here…for now ;D

EDIT
Oops, I knew I left someone out of this list…Mr Buddy Jim, come on, the word Buddy is in his screen name :smiley: Buddy Jim for being a rad dude and make’n string deals with me so I can continue to put the NorCals on my FHZ’s

1 Like

I wanted to post something really good. Something that might bring a tear to your eye and rethink your very existence. I thought about how to do that and I realized I can’t. Gizzyo might be able to and I can’t wait to read his masterpiece. So I am going to make this simple and to the point.
As far as people who I have met and enjoyed the awesome sport of yoyoing with the list basically comes down to patrickcondon, Gizzyo, Born2Yoyo or whatever his account name is now, Frozen Yeti something…, and Dana and I don’t even know if he has an account.

Anyway Patrickcondon ruined my life and the sport of yoyoing for me (really it was my fault but I like to blame other people) by introducing me to something as awesome and (gulp) even more awesome. Anyway thanks to this thread and Pats post in this thread I somehow think I am going to start yoyoing again and fully realize what that silly little toy has in store for me.

I don’t know about you but I am getting tears all over my keyboard here…

YoMaster16
Yoyodood95
Benyo

Those are the main ones. :wink: