The Best Yoyo String Ever?

I think this is where I fall too. “Not made in a factory” is a good way to put it.

I consider myself boutique because I make strings 10 at a time on my pool table. If I someday needed to expand my workspace and I bought a shed, completely dedicated to making string, that would still be boutique in my mind. But if I bought a machine that made the strings for me and could crank out 100/minute, I’d consider that bulk.

The terms are just so vague, and it’s not always clear which string companies are making them with machines or by hand or what. For example, I’ve had people talk to me as if I’m a big company with a team (“You guys”, “your team”, etc.) because they just didn’t know it’s just me. I got the same feeling reading this thread, I don’t know much about YYSL so I assumed they were a big bulk company because they’re really inexpensive but @MattB considers himself boutique.

I think part of the trouble defining this comes from the fact that string companies don’t usually show off how they’re doing it. Airetic had info about how to make strings, but not specifics of their setup. Same with pretty much anyone else I’ve heard of, I know because when I started out making strings I looked everywhere for info on how to do it more efficiently. So most of the time, we don’t know if it’s one guy making them by hand with a drill or an array of machines twisting thousands or something in between. Not saying this is a bad thing btw, I understand wanting to protect your own ideas and not wanting people to copy your jig or your exact formula and methods.

10 Likes

This is exactly why I started labeling my string. I had friends, who I talk to regularly, asking me “What was that greenish one you sent me?” And I’m just like dude you ordered it, you should know! Haha so now my packages all say exactly what’s inside. But stuff I make for myself? I don’t label it, because I know what it is. When you’re the person making it, it’s easy to forget that other people might not be able to tell exactly what something is just by sight, especially if they’re purchasing from multiple brands.

7 Likes

Great post. I haven’t raised prices since I started, even though costs have gone up, and others are higher, mostly because I’ve just gotten more efficient over the years, so it kind of balances out. I used to have a stopwatch to time myself, lol. (I guess I have to raise my prices to maintain my boutique status. :wink:) Making string takes time away from family and other things you enjoy, so you have to enjoy something about it. For me it’s coming up with new ideas and the feeling like each pack is going to a thrower and the thought that somebody somewhere is going to enjoy these strings. (Mind blowing to stop and ponder, since I essentially fell backwards into doing this.) Also, it’s a puzzle of trying to figure out how to be more efficient without compromising your standards.

14 Likes

2 days? Oof…I couldn’t imagine going through so much string! I get at least a month out if a skyline iii before I add it to the dirty laundry pile to be resurrected.

Here’s a month old (first month I had my 000, it was the only thing I played and this string held it properly!) Next to a freshy. I’d wager I play at least 1 to 2 hours a day…sometimes more.

000 is now just my edc, so it still gets daily play, but not as much. Running the same skyline iii string for almost 3 months now!

I’ll also add, Sinister Cephalopod string is proving to be really nice as well. Highly suggest trying them out.

3 Likes

Two days and going strong with plenty of life left and I been playing up to 6 hours a day

1 Like

Dang, I wish I had 6 hours a day for yoyo :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

4 Likes

I been getting up early

2 Likes

Two days in with String Theory, things are much better already. The Hi-viz I’m playing with still feels rough to the touch (maybe a little rougher than a brand-new Kitty string), but it isn’t nearly as stiff or slippery anymore, binds have become much more consistent. It’s developed a hint of bounciness. I’m sure it’s still nowhere near fully broken in yet, though.

I’m going to try out their Egyptian Cotton next. Expecting less of a break-in time on that one.

2 Likes

Woah that is a lot of time

1 Like

Have you tried sochi t string before and how long can they last for you?

1 Like

haven’t tried the tstring but i have some sochi xl

I’m excited!

3 Likes

trust me, sochi T is way too thick for you if u like ep 20/20. They do last a bit longer than most bulk though(just tested it yesterday).

1 Like

Do you know any strings that are cheaper then ep 20/20 so I can buy it at higher quantities but still have the things that make ep 20/20 good?

unfortunately, not really. Ep 20/20 is slim, smooth, and has that “moist and sticky” feel to it. Haven’t found anything remotely close that matches all those categories(or even the first 2). Most bulk strings are meh, while Ep 20/20 definitively got that boutique string feel. And I think most slim bulk strings won’t feel smooth like the Ep20/20 at all.

My most experience with bulk strings are kitty, Kitty fat has that EP 20/20 slimness, but it’s quite a bit rougher than Ep 20/20 (doesn’t burn my hand, and I think it’s smooth enough), and the string unwinds easily, so it can have messed up tension pretty quick (i mean u can just let go of the string and let it spin, and it will fix on its own), this is why some ppl say Kitty fat goes to the trash in 20-30 minutes. Kitty nylon, on the other hand, is even slimmer, has more tension, but rougher than kitty fat. So I am not sure if u want that.

1 Like

Another BBB String Theory update: I transferred it to one of my A bearing pocket throws with a small gap and I think this string has found its permanent home. The thinness of the string is a perfect fit for the small bearing.

I don’t have to worry at all about this string breaking while I’m out and about. Paul Z. from BBB says that he is still using a 12-year old String Theory that’s been washed a few times, and I absolutely believe it. I’ll try to outfit some of my EDC throws with this stuff in hopes of cutting down on the amount of bulk string that I throw away, since, y’know, polyester is like, the opposite of biodegradable.

The Egyptian cotton ST became pretty playable after maybe 45 minutes or so, since it’s thicker and less slippery to begin with due to the added cotton. I wonder how long it’ll last compared to the normal ST. The only thing I’m worried about is how badly the cotton might fray in the long term.

1 Like

They literally have the best colors though… @BadWolfeCo thank you

5 Likes

Eh, “Best colors” is pretty subjective. If I only sold my single favorite colorway, to me that would mean I had the best colors but a lot of people would disagree. Or if someone sold a hundred colorways but none of them were green, then for someone who likes green that’s not the best either. That’s why I’m always introducing new colorways, think I’m close to 50 now :joy:

7 Likes

This is why your colors are the best and you have some of the best rainbow colored strings I’ve ever seen not to mention how they play. Fr keep doing what you’re doing please lol

3 Likes

I’m definitely going to try some of your strings!

2 Likes