The 5a May Discussion Thread

Jake is there a reason you’re filming these in letterbox format? Most computers/tvs are widescreen now so I was wondering if it’s a limitation of the camera or you’re filming like that intentionally.

I really appreciate these videos but letterbox format makes it kind of hard to see parts of the tricks.

Finally found out how to fix the issues. I thought it was a limitation of the camera, but it turns out it was just a buried setting in the software.

1 Like

Today’s video is my 5a stop and go trick. It’s one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64X7cVaSZqU&feature=youtu.be

Simple stall tut!

Annnddd
Some ROLLS!

Eh…kind of interesting, but who the heck does 5A with a fixed axle?

Still, good job on posting something. I need to think of something but fear it won’t be original even though I thought it was. Plus I don’t have a cam but I could maybe borrow one.

I want one of thems Delrin Counterweights dab nabbit  >:(

Jake what’s the timeframe on the tutorial submission? Also are they judged on quality or just picked randomly? All I can think of to make is some mediocre tricks I discovered myself but are highly doubtful to be original.

Does it have to be a “trick” tutorial or could I make a tutorial on different ways to do hand transitions or mirroring right-handed/left-handed tricks or similar? Because I haven’t seen much on making one’s tricks ambidextrous or how to quickly shift hands, special ways to bind in 5A, etc. I could make a better tutorial like that than a “trick” I think.

Drew does. Lol.

5a legend Tyler Severence just put out some really amazing 5a tutorials for 5a May. Check them out - You can get a discount on a supernova if you make a video showing yourself doing one of his tricks!

You can make whatever kind of video you want.

Learn a 5a picture trick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYrHIlXoGHw&feature=youtu.be

Wind isn’t too tough, but learning how to do it will set you up for an incredible amount of 5a tricks. In 5a play, it is critical to be able to have full control over both the yoyo and the counterweight, and Wind teaches this skill in an easy to perform package.

Today’s 5a trick is called Fencing. It’s a big trick that always get reactions, especially from non yoyoers.

The trick “Wind” just looks like an old e-fan combo.

I like the tutorials a lot. I’m waiting on never ending bee-sting!

Where do we post tutorials for the contest? And is May 15 the last day to post tutorials or is the contest over ON May 15?

I might make one tomorrow if I can figure out how to use this camera I borrowed with no tripod, edit it, and so on.

It essentially is an old E fan combo. There never really has been a name for that specific series of elements so I just threw a name on it.

Repeating beesting is coming. Not only is it an extremely difficult trick, but it also changes considerably depending on string length, the weight of the yoyo, and the weight of the counterweight. There is a lot to it and I’m still trying to figure out a way to teach it so that every set up and do it.

You have until the end of the month. I don’t recall ever mentioning anything about May 15th. You can post them here.

You can also bundle your 5a video with this video contest for a shot at a KYS K!T

Today’s 5a trick is Not Quite Horizontal. It’s tough, but it’s one of those “I didn’t see that coming!” tricks. Learn it!

I think I read about it on the king you star canada site about the tutorial contest. You’re saying this is a different contest? I assumed they were one and the same that’s where I got May 15

Learn Magic Knot!

smh… That’s a 1a trick.

Well, this is sad.
#yoyodamage

1 Like

Hmm, just got a Mr. butcher in the mail, it allready has a bit of damage to it… Is it all that good for 5A?

Unless you’re already quite good you’re going to bang it up some. Butcher is 7075 right? It takes a really hard dice collision to ding 7075 but it happens with really small dings. When you’re starting sometimes the yoyo will go flying and collide with something really hard like a metal chair leg that will gouge it. More commonly it flies into a wall and takes paint off the wall and slightly messes up the ano.

Personally I’ve set up my practice room with pillows along the walls to prevent this happening, but the yoyo I learned on (a C3 Movitation) didn’t have this guidance and is now pretty beat.