The 5a May Discussion Thread

Jake has been making bearing counter weights for longer than yyj has.

Emailing Duncan will do more than you think it will.

Technically not accurate. I produced my own the same day YYJ announced their design. With the delrin counterweights I improved upon their design by changing a few key elements. If you snap spin the counterweight while it’s attached to the string, it will spin for a minute or more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov8aERbSH9c&feature=youtu.be

Also, new 5a may video! This video is for one handed helicopter, one of my favorite tricks. It looks snazzy and is much quicker to get into than regular helicopter.

No string November?

how bout 2a Tuesday. And I just got back into 5a and I love it. So much FUN.

I don’t think who made what first really matters as far as patents go. Takeshi’s dad made the original Takeshi dice and sold the patent to yoyojam as far as I know. Whether Jake or Takeshi’s dad made these bearing dice first I have no idea.

By the way I emailed Yoyojam and said we want delrin Takeshi dice.

EDIT: I may have been mistaken on YYJ having the patent on the Takeshi dice. I’ve been informed it would be more productive to email DUNCAN about delrin counterweights like these as they may already be considering them. So please everyone just take a minute to use their contact form and annoy Duncan about producing Delrin counterweights with bearings :slight_smile:

AND… FIRST MESSAGE AWAY!

Oh yeah October is open November is for fixies nvm.

ya know, we really need a yoyo calendar to remember all the days, and months and how they compare to the yoyo community. And I don’t believe that November is for fixed axles, that’s February.

I remember a no bearing November.

Hmmmmm, I guess there are two fixed axle months.

You said it! :smiley:

Here is a reshot version of yesterday’s tutorial and a brand new tutorial.

Thanks for the reshot Jake I was going to say something but didn’t, yesterday’s vid was pretty dark looking.

Also, for anyone who missed my earlier post correction:

Please just take a minute to use Duncan’s contact form to ask them about producing Delrin counterweights with bearings :slight_smile:

Jake says it will have more impact than we might think! I’m inclined to believe him. DO IT >:( RARGH

EDIT: Jeez, Jake, picking apart all my posts here. I was using “annoy” playfully, didn’t mean people should contact them for the purpose of annoying them. More like, we should pester them until they produce delrin counterweights so we can buy them.

For the record:

You shouldn’t “annoy” Duncan, as they are busy people with jobs to do, but if you have a legitimate interest in the product and if you think that you’ll buy one if they are released, then you should send them an email explaining your desire for one.

1 Like

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxaK6xIk6nA&feature=youtu.be

4 Likes

Been working on some fixed 5a stuff. I’ll post it tomorrow.

Today’s video is double beesting. Learn this trick because it leads into repeating beesting which is coming later in the month!

Done! I hope they listen!

1 Like

I remember when Counter weight started. Never got into it back then but maybe now I will.
What kind of counter weight would you recommend for someone just getting into it?
Dice, ball, funky heads, or Takeshi Dice?

I saw Steve posting about some clear red weights he had on Instagram and then mentioned the white ones.

Didn’t mean to de-rail the topic if I did…

Takeshi dice are the standard for normal folk who don’t machine their own from delrin :wink:

But if you’re starting out a Ducan monkey ball might be good because they don’t hurt to catch them, won’t scuff the yoyo even on hard collisions, and weigh about as much as a Takeshi die.

Today’s tutorial

Pick up a Duncan counterweight pack. It includes two dice and a bouncy ball. Later, if you want to upgrade, you can pick up a takeshi dice.