The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

String tension

That helps some but then stops me from doing things like kickflips

What string you using? Also new string takes break in time

I’m using kot-n, I broke it in

1 Like

Throwing my new Legend Wing today.

My first wood fixie. This thing is awesome. It’s maybe a little lighter than I’d like, but for only $4 more than my plastic Butterfly, it plays so much more consistently.

16 Likes

Im gradually developing a dislike for the TMBR axle system. On the pro side it is a highly tunable system that in concept can allow you to adjust your axle perfectly. But in the end, the concept becomes practically unattainable. First step I take it to align the sides. If it is too tight, then I back out to obtain a good gap. Then I want to tighten it to refine the gap and prevent sliding, so I crank down. Oops, one side is now too recessed and it grabs on that side. But now it is too tight and I can’t get it apart. But if I never tightened it to this point, id have to constantly adjust it, and now im stripping the wood just trying to get the pieces apart.

It is just so fussy of a system that I can’t help but get frustrated with it. Ive been playing with these yoyos for years, and it’s a rare day that I can get one truly dialed in like a glued in fixie.

5 Likes

Try wrapping the axle in ptfe tape, like they use to seal plumbing threads, it will help keep the axle from slipping and solves most issues

3 Likes

I don’t understand how it’s all that tunable? The gap next to the string stays the same no matter where you place the axle within the halves.

It would be cool if along with different woods, you could get axles with different gaps to swap out.

5 Likes

I’ve tightened the gap in my 2015 eH by moving the caps out so they don’t sit flush with the outer wall of the yoyo. I’m OK with it, but, that may drive some crazy.

2 Likes

Right, but that doesn’t really change the string gap.

1 Like

Best mail days this week !

19 Likes

Very happy to see that camel made it a day early. Must be the wings… :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m not sure I understand, with the caps not flush with the outer wall, the halfs can screw closer together, reducing the width of the gap between them. Certainly it isn’t changing the gap of the axle piece, but it 100% makes the gap between the walls smaller and the yoyo snappier in response

5 Likes

To my mind, the response should start at the axle. By the time you get the halves that close together, they’re rubbing the sides at all the wrong times. I certainly didn’t like the way mine played when I tried that.

My experience was it was just an illusion that it’s an adjustable gap system. Maybe your experience proves me wrong.

I’m not knocking the yoyos, though, and I still think it would be cool to have axles with different string gaps.

3 Likes

I’m 3D printing this concept at the moment. Doing different gap widths, diameter, and material.

5 Likes

Heh, landed my first heelflip today. I got a bit bummed yesterday after playing my dEhcade and locking the axle up trying to adjust it, so I decided to say screw it and just play with my KNack. Was throwing some kickflips, various mounts, and dumptrucks, and just decided to go heel side (kickflip, trapeze, dumptruck, brother stall, trapeze stall, heelflip). Nailed it first try! I still can’t do them regularly, but it was the first one I landed and it was while I was vibing, so it felt good.

9 Likes

Is a heel flip an inward flip?

No, kickflips rotate towards you, heelflips rotate away from you.

1 Like

I think I just define the motion backwards. I was referring to the first swing, a kickflip that first swing is away from you, heelflip would be in towards you. We’re saying the same thing though. thank you!

2 Likes

I think about it more like the skateboarding terms that it is reminiscent of. Kickflips are you flicking the board inwards and towards yourself, and the heelflip is kicking it outward.

Have you done kickflips on yoyos? Because the motion you make allows for the loop to come towards you, but with the heelflip it goes away. Much harder to catch imo.

1 Like