The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

I do kickflips more than any other trick, theres a video of me hitting 6 in a row on the lets post tricks thread. I understand the way you define it now, and it makes more sense. My original question as related to how I thought of it.

Im not sure I follow your thoughts on skateboarding though, even as a life long skater (minus the last few years). Both kickflips and heel flips rotate “inward” in different directions becase the skateboard is coplanar with your body. The kick flip is more a kick, where the heel flip the heel moves it. For me the definition isnt the rotation but the mechanism that does the flipping.

It’s the same concept as the skateboard trick, regardless of how you think about it. And no, the heelflip in skateboarding IS an outward flip, regardless of how you want it to rotate back in to your body plane. Id hate to discuss what is happening in a varial flip with you though :laughing:

1 Like

agree to disagree on flip directions on a skateboard.

thanks for confirming what a heel flip on a yoyo is though.

2 Likes

Working on a new trick, hit me with a follow if you like it!

10 Likes

Hey y’all!
Fixed February is right around the corner, it’s time to dust of your wooden yo-yos and start practicing! In the spirit of my Journey on Chasin’ Wood and this month Fair Trade Yoyos will be hosting a fixed axle yoyo contest! The rules are simple, create a 20 second or less video on Instagram and tag @fairtradeyoyos The winner will be picked based on overall style by myself and the other FTY team members and will receive a spectraply Fallen44 x FTY yoyo as well as having their video featured on Chasin’ Wood! All those who enter will be put in a drawing to win a fallen 44 as well! Good luck and throw some wood!

-Chase

6 Likes

Let’s gooooooooooooo!!!

2 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

I recently picked up a few 5mm x 10mm x 4 mm spacers in an attempt to find an A-bearing blank.

The spec on the inner diameter is 5.3mm -0/+0.3mm while A bearings have an inner diameter spec of 5mm. I bought a few because I knew fit would be loose, but I hoped to find one that had the least “play” and try with that. I threw them on a bearing removal tool, and found the one that had the least play and tossed it into my Weekender and so far we have success!! My Weekender is now a fixed axle!

After a few minutes of play I took it apart to check the bearing posts and I didn’t find any damage, so I’m pretty sure its not acting like a transaxle. Super stoked here!! Another option for Fixed Axle February.

19 Likes

I wonder if you could use something like teflon tape to fill any space?

2 Likes

That might not be a bad idea, would also help protect the bearing posts from galling.

1 Like

So I was recently watching a video from @G2_Jake about what lube to use for responsive yoyos, and I wanted to share my experience. This might be old news to a lot of you, but it was new to me and I’m pretty stoked.

I’ve been a huge fan of rubber shielded, heavily greased bearings for all my responsive throws for a long time now. they’ve made all my responsive yoyos crazy snappy responsive, and very reliable in the way they respond. The only downside with heavily greased bearings is they kind of suffer with 1A style tricks because the grease seriously reduce spin times. I could barely get through a Split the Atom because spin would often die before the 3rd barrel roll and tricks like Boingy Boing usually ended up with smacked knuckles.

Jakes recommendation was a synthetic oil called “Super Lube 51010”, which is a highly viscous dielectric oil blend with some other additives. I bought a tube and cleaned out some of my A, D, and C sized bearings for my Day Tripper, Weekender, Respawn Lite, and Deep State and put a good size drop into each bearing and reshielded them all.

Holy crap I couldn’t be more happy with all of them. Seriously opened up new realms of play on these I haven’t been able to do before. I’m able to get through multiple repeats of Keymakers Whip, Whipped Cream, tons and tons of Boings, and Split the Atom is basically effortless. While doing all that fun 1A I can super easily transition into STM, stalls, flips, planet hops, and regens. I would say there is a sacrifice in overall snappiness, there is a slight lag on all of them relative to the grease, but response is still reliable and predictable so I’m happy with the trade off.

I never really played the Respawn with the normal bearing, I immediately dropped in a rubber greased bearing before playing it. I know it came stock lubed with 51010, and I’m sad I didnt play it like that until now.

I’ve been playing these yoyos for like a week now and haven’t had to relube yet with the shielded bearings. Fingers crossed the maintenance is similarly low to grease with rubber shields.

9 Likes

I’ve never tried their oil but Super Lube grease is legit. It’s what I use for pretty much everything. Yoyo bearings, microswitches, even Nintendo 64 joysticks lol.

8 Likes

good god thats a lot of grease lol. how long has that tube lasted you?

4 Likes

Four years and it barely even looks like a dent was made in it. The tube of oil you have is probably enough to last you forever.

It was only like 10 bucks though. It makes me wish response pads were that cheap, but maybe that’s just another reason why I should learn how to apply silicone… especially since it feels like so many responsives now use their own custom pad sizes.

1 Like

Yomega used to sell that as Brain Lube. It’s what I use most of the time. I use a lot of rubber shield bearings and when they need maintenance I use the Brain Lube. To me a rubber shield with brain lube is the best combo.

4 Likes

Do you know a good way to clean silicone grease without industrial solvents or cleaners? I have a ton of rubber shielded bearings that are packed with grease lol. Most rubber shielded bearings even come pre greased

Lighter fluid worked for me

2 Likes

I just play them, when the response starts to get less than what I’d like I add the Brain Lube to them.

I don’t think I’ve ever cleaned a responsive bearing.

4 Likes

Totally fair, I hadn’t cleaned a responsivr bearing until now either lol. I just want to accelerate the grease removal and have the 51010 be the primary lubricant. The play is just that much more enjoyable for me

1 Like

For me the Brain Lube/Super Lube alone needs more maintenance. It seems to wear out much quicker.

If you have any other bearings you can use them with the Super Lube.

1 Like