The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Well it LOOKS fudgin sick.

2 Likes

Cool shape, but looking at the guts - yeah, a lot of work needed.

I wish I was only suffering from one of the above symptoms, I would have a much clearer idea of what to change. Being simultaneously too responsive and transferring too much power, while also being slippy is a tough set of problems to overcome lol

Thanks man! Not mad at it for my first attempt at a fixed axle. Hopefully one or two more rounds of testing and it will be worth the time to print haha

2 Likes

There is a very delicate balance to get response right. It usually requires you to change more than one thing at a time.

3 Likes

I’ve been throwing my Respawn Lite around a ton lately. It has really grown on me, and its become one of my fav throws, but the unshielded bearing really takes away from the experience. Having to regrease the bearing every few days has been kind of ridiculous, and it makes my strings disgusting.

I swapped to rubber shielded bearings in my Deep State, after getting the idea from the Day Tripper/Weekender shipping with rubber shileded bearings to help keep grease inside. The rubber shielded c-bearing made the deep state more snappy in general, and I only have to regrease every other month or so.

I found a rubber shielded D-bearing as well for the Respawn Lite and I’d like to share the links for both bearings here in case it will help someone else.

D-Bearing
685-2RS Bearing 5x11x5 Sealed Miniature Ball Bearings: Deep Groove Ball Bearings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

C-Bearing
R188-2RS, 1/4 x 1/2 x 3/16 inch, Radial Bearing: Deep Groove Ball Bearings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

7 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Can the rubber shields be removed and easily replaced. I have never tried remove them in my day tripper or weekender.

1 Like

Yeah, I use a sewing needle to gently remove the shield. When replacing them they will reseal as long as you dont bend the shield.

1 Like

I have also bought this 4pack of rubber shielded A-Bearings in the past for when I modified a Pro Z lol

uxcell MR105-2RS Deep Groove Ball Bearings 5mm Inner Dia 10mm OD 4mm Bore Double Sealed Chrome Steel Z2 4pcs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

1 Like

I was so used to skateboard bearings only having rubber shields that I was genuinely surprised when yoyo bearings didn’t come with them. Removing the C clips on metal shielded bearings doesn’t take that long, but it’s still enough of a pain that I wish these were more standard for yoyos.

1 Like

the rubber shields add more friction period, in addition to keeping lube inside. yoyo bearings are mostly meant to run dry

1 Like

Yeah, I just meant removing metal shields is annoying. I miss the ease of removing rubber shields, especially since I’ve accidentally stabbed myself a couple times removing metal shields :pensive:

2 Likes

yeah i dont like having to clean my normal bearings either lol. i will say though, since i stopped opening and cleaning/lubing bearings immediately and just running them shielded and dry I have to do so much less maintanence on my unresponsive throws

2 Likes

I run my bearings dry but with multiple cats and long hair I end up needing to clean a lot of my bearings at least once every month or so, it’s wild how much stuff strings can pick up and you don’t even notice. Honestly not wanting to clean bearings or buy a bunch of spares is one of the things that gets me to pick up a fixie on a lot of days haha. Wood really is the best after all.

7 Likes

I realized today, that since I bought my first Duncan Butterfly in July, responsive yoyoing has completely taken over. All of these have their own soul, and its very nice having a bunch of different options for size, weight distribution, material, and bearing/response feel.

ZGRT - el MiJo
Duncan - Modified Pro Z
Duncan - Lace Wing Butterfly (late ‘70s)
MK1 x Spinworthy - Red Blood Cell
One Drop - Deep State
Zipline x Doc Pop - Day Tripper
G2 x Doc Pop - Respawn Lite
Rain City Skills x Doc Pop - Pop Art
Spinworthy - Survivalist
One Drop x Doc Pop - Weekender

21 Likes

Just bought an RBC, excited to try out 0a for the first time :slight_smile: in 1-3 weeks I should be able to give this whole thing a whirl!

8 Likes

Started a fixed axle Discord server. NOT intended to take any traffic from this forum (and definitely not selling anything lol). But I also know there’s a significant fixie crew on YYE who might be interested in joining. Mods, obv delete if this breaks a rule.

Invite link here if you’re into it:

17 Likes

Not really able to use discord and I use responsive metal bearing throws so it’s likely not for me (although I am rooting all of you on this year.)

I grew up playing responsive. The last 15 years or have been unresponsive. Seeing the resurgence of responsive, especially with metal throws, made me so happy. I got a heavily lubed Deep State, fell in love, and started trading my unresponsives off for responsive metals. I will note if you have something responsive not shown below, please reach out.

I have found that the tricks I grew up on are more than capable on these responsive metals. The newer tricks in this thread, stalls, Flippy things while the yoyo is dead, etc… have been a nightmare and if anyone could give tips or tucks on that front I am all ears.

Below are the tools I am using, seems like the Weekender and Daytripper are the best tools. If anyone has any recommendations in what else to go after, I would love your insight.

Weekender, Daytripper, Deep and Deeper State

8 Likes

This one gets re-posted the most cause it is one of the best places to start, and Drew’s Jensen Remix is also awesome. “Learn These”

7 Likes