The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Prob my favorite trick I’ve come up with. Feels like such a cool exclamation point after a combo too. Oa equivalent of a jumping stick or earth turn on kendama.

6 Likes

Got any pointers for Varials and Kickflips?

1 Like

Oh man this is just too good!

1 Like

You are the honorary ElSalvador national champ in my book!!! :trophy::1st_place_medal::medal_military::reminder_ribbon::medal_sports:

Edit: possibly the most inspiring thrower on the forum too!!

7 Likes

So many great, but really difficult tricks in this thread!

I have a couple of original tricks that should be more in reach for many of us. I have got to post them for the rest of us to have fun with!

Plus, I’d like to see what @edhaponik et al could do with one of them called “Chalk Line”.

Does anybody else have some less difficult tricks to share?

Yeah! Learn them backside and not frontside like the one i posted here! That would make it way easier to land. For some reason my brain thought this would be the natural and most easier way to do it but it is not (Maybe that’s why i had to grind a lot to land it).

The toughest thing to figure out is how to make the yoyo spin on it’s vertical axis cleanly. The hand twist you have to do is a very refined movement. Practice that a lot. Please learn it the way Ed teaches it here lol.

7 Likes

Thank you! <3

2 Likes
6 Likes

720 varial!

said 540 earlier

com-resize(18)

slomo

com-resize(17)

11 Likes

That’s a 720 :wink:
2 full spins.
540 you’d have to catch in reverse Trapeze or Bro.

4 Likes

God I feel like I’m so close to landing Varials consistently, then I try again the next day and can’t land one.

1 Like

It’s a tricky one for sure. have you tried both directions of spin to see what’s easier for you?

2 Likes

Sure have! Haven’t been able to get consistent on a legend wing, no jive in :butterfly: mode, Skinflint, f44 Jason, proyo, Irving, butterfly xt, Deep State, 650b, and :butterfly: Bumble bee.

2 Likes

So I take it that wood fixies typically come with wood axles, right? So what do you do when the wood axle wears out?

1 Like

Some are replaceable by design (see TMBR threaded wood axles), and others can be drilled and a new one reglued (carefully by yourself, or professionally by the maker).

Which kinda assumes the maker has time for this and/or is still in the yoyo business…

Are metal axles used very often in wood fixies?

1 Like

They really don’t wear out too fast. It is a good idea to have a few extras around. I probably have 100+ extra No Jive axles and I rarely replace them. I find I wear out bearings quite a bit quicker than most modern hardwood axles, but that’s also a function of how I play them.

Metal fixed axles are pretty uncommon but not unheard of. The Duncan Butterfly is an obvious example but to me that’s not an ideal design. (Even if the axle doesn’t wear out the plastic certainly does.)

Part of the fun* is the tweaking and breaking in of new axles to get them playing “just so”.
*if you find that kinda thing fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@EOS44 You’ve blown my mind so many times these past few months. First with your crazy 3A stuff and now with your fixie stuff (just now going through this thread).

@adamantiumpops …super cool to see your progression! Wow you’ve come a long ways from the first couple of vids you posted here in this thread!

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m really loving it, and can’t recommend a good fixie highly enough.

1 Like

Thanks man! You must be thinking of 5A probably? I’ve never done 3A in my life.

3 Likes