The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Thanks! I’ll keep them in mind!

If you’re looking for top quality fixies, you’re looking for anything from spinworthy, TMBR, O.U.T (once upon a tree), wildwood, I’m sure there are others.

Oh! How could I forget?! If you want a handmade, one of a kind, great playing wooden fixie. Ed Davidson @DLC is the guy to go to. You can find him on Facebook under Davidson lathecraft. He turns out a LOT of yoyos, so he always has them in stock. Some of his shapes are better for 0a, some are better for looping. All of them are awesome. I don’t think any of them cost more than $50 shipped, most are between 35-45 and shipping is always 5.50.

Yeah. You should get one from Ed.

I need to get another one from him soon.

4 Likes

I’m all for a handmade yo-yo! Do they have replaceable axles? Or do you just need to buy another yo-yo?

2 Likes

his are all made from a single piece, not glued together, so don’t break it. his laser and epoxy art is truly next level

2 Likes

They are hand turned one-piece yoyos. Usually made from exotic woods, so the axle and body are all one solid piece of wood. I can’t imagine them breaking too easy without some serious abuse.

I imagine if you did end up breaking one of Ed’s yoyos, he would probably let you send it back to him and repair it. Just cut the broken axle off, drill it and put in a new axle, turning it into a 3-piece. I’ve heard of other makers doing stuff like that.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for replaceable axles, or fixies you can take apart, then you’re after kasm, tmbr, or no-jive.

1 Like

Note that while TMBR axles are replaceable they can be difficult to acquire :grin:

2 Likes

The Butterfly XT is a slightly better intro to 0A IMHO. It’s easier to gravity pull IMHO and less temperamental with string torsion. These can easily be found at Target in the US for $5 year round.

But the regular Butterfly is an awesome player, especially for the price. I consider myself an intermediate 0A player and I always have a Butterfly on me and play it often.

2 Likes

Shameless self promotion incoming

I prefer my yoyos to Duncan’s, that’s why I make them

5 Likes

I would like to add praise to the Butterfly XT as they’re cheap and easily modifiable/replaceable.

As a butterfly and 0A lover, I would also like to suggest the Butterfly AL 23’. They’re on sale rn for about USD $40 and the B grades are always that price. I’ve walked the dog at almost every castle in France and Sidewindered on any chest level flat surface. I bang on stop signs on my walks and I’ve threaded an XT axle all the way through it and it still spins straight and stalls like a champion. I can throw hard and do any mid-school trick and then end with a stall and start all over again. You can play it heavy with the delrin caps or float like a butterfly capless :sunglasses:

I could go on forever about how much I love the 23 Butterfly AL and I will probably have it forever, So I can keep my big mouth shut and keep throwing! :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Bold of you to assume I can afford wood. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Unless, of course, you know a cool guy with a 3d printer, but that’s neither here nor there :laughing:

1 Like

I should’ve thought of this. Sorry dude :man_facepalming:

I need to get one of yours soon

1 Like

Are the wood fixies on Dave Schulte’s website good? I’m thinking of getting one.

4 Likes

Yes. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

And while you’re there pick up a Manta Ray (and maybe a pair of 720s :grin:).

2 Likes

Do you recommend the 1 piece? Or the 3 piece?

I’ve been intrigued by the manta ray before. As for the 720’s, if I was any worse at looping, I would be declared a witch and burnt at the stake.

1 Like

I would say it’s mainly preference as far as 1 or 3 piece goes. The 3-pieces look great, however I usually opt for the one-piece.

2 Likes

A Legend Wing, any variant cheapest entry into wood fixed axle

Spintastics Mana Ray is also good, wood axle but its still plastic. Then start saving for a Tom Kuhn 3 and 1

5 Likes

Depends where you live. Over here the LW isn’t cheap, more or less the same price to get a Higby painted version. In January the currency exchange was so bad it was about $10 less than just buying a Button from Glen (which is the option I chose)

4 Likes