Terrapin X bearings on YYE

I bought a flat 8 ball terrapain x bearing and it does not fill the gap. This causes the string to fall in between the seat and bearing

The bearing really hasnt lived up to expectation IMO

Very true. As a result of this thread, fjh123 might sell some bearings, and people will even buy KKs to compare them to, or other bearings, and see how they stack up. Everyone wins, especially YYE, the store they are likely to buy them from. Debates like these are goodā€¦especially for the store. :wink:

This is exactly what happened to mine. I tried it in my Wrath, Majesty and CODE2ā€¦ I usually run a Ceramic KK in the Wrath and 10 Ball in both the Majesty and CODE2. I blew it out with compressed air and has yet to ā€œsmooth outā€ I will keep it to see if over time it gets better but it is not currently in any of my throwsā€¦

Different brands of size c bearings have very minor differences in inner race size. Some are bigger, some smaller. I usually play with bearing and yoyo combinations to find out which is the smoothest for a given yoyo.

i donā€™t even understand how thatā€™s possible

I donā€™t even know what you guys are arguing aboutā€¦

Nither can I, but itā€™s funny

Yet another comment; apparently designed to alienate customers and generally put people down. I find your posts unhelpful at best. Thanks; you have succeeded in alienating me also.

I will no longer post anything to support your efforts to sell bearings.

Rock On pal.

1 Like

Terrapin Xā€™s are definitely really good bearings, whether you agree with fjh123ā€™s statements or not.

They perform similar to the YYR DoubleStraight without the super expensive price-tag.

I say they are a win.

Iā€™m happy that not every comment can alienate me. If that were true I could never watch sports, movies, tv, or listen to music.

These type of actions should get people to not watch things, or support companies.
Super Bowl Example:
-Lewis was arrested and went to trial for first-degree murder in 2000.
-Suggs was arrested for felony aggravated assault in 2003
-McClellan was arrested before the 2012 season and charged with with battery (a first-degree misdemeanor), and simple assault with threat or intent to do violence
-The 49ers head coach was arrested in 2005 when he was the head coach at the University of San Diego for DUI

There more to this list look it up.

Yeah, whatever with his comments, because I canā€™t figure out what he is talking about most times anyway. He thinks all our comments are funny, so he has a sense of humor I guess. I guess they donā€™t break the rules like if he just said, ā€œbump,ā€ in here (the purpose they serve). Iā€™m curious what you guys think of the bearing though. Iā€™m just glossing over the comments heā€™s made so far.

So, I got a Terrapin X bearing when they were still 8-ball (not too long ago), and after a few minutes of play, it was kind ofā€¦ ā€œgrindyā€ and responsive. Consulted with Studio42 and FJH himself about how to clean it, and followed their directions. In the end, I sent it back for service/replacement.

He replaced it with a 10-ball version, and it started to exhibit the same issues. However, this time the cleaning worked and it has been fine ever since. I do think itā€™s one of my better flat bearings, but I also agree with Jasonā€™s contention that itā€™s all relative. If you need to push it to your limits, you should try one and see if it gives you that extra little bit. Performance or no, other than that first clean it needed, I havenā€™t had to put additional maintenance into it yet.

But the main point of the story was meant to be thisā€¦ I had a problem with it, and FJH solved it for me. He was communicative, prompt, and covered the cost of shipping as well. He replaced not with the same product (Iā€™m sure he still has 8-balls around somewhere!) but with what he believes is a superior product. He didnā€™t have to do that.

His conversational tone and approach to marketing I do not at all agree with. Until only a few months ago, I was the manager of a marketing departmentā€¦ and you guys can believe in ā€œbad guy publicityā€ if you want, but itā€™s not desirable. ā€œAny press is good pressā€ may be true to a certain extent but itā€™s not a hard set rule, and any company I know of would much rather have good press, all other things being equal (no press < bad press < good press ). And all other things ARE equalā€¦ itā€™s a forum with posted replies. An equal number of replies could have been super-helpful, positive, supportive, and friendly, and I am willing to bet top dollar that they would garner as much or more publicity and reputation for his business.

Because I do like his product and do want to see him succeed, I sent him a PM a few weeks ago to this effect. But I suppose it wasnā€™t taken to heart, or itā€™s more important for him to just ā€œbe himselfā€ and hope that the product will be sufficient for him to succeed in spite of himself. Which is totally fair. We all have the right to be ourselves at whatever cost. Entire empires have crumbled over the mere stubbornness of one person. :wink:

I suspect if most of us talked to him in person, we would get a different feeling from him. The internet is a funny thing, and tone is not easily conveyed. Letā€™s not forget that.

I think he definitely has ā€œgood press,ā€ regarding the product, nothing really ā€œbadā€ in this thread at all. But, any efforts to discuss ā€œhimā€ and his forum personality has come from us, not him. He is just being himself I suppose, or the internet version of it. He has not even replied about what anyone thinks of ā€œhim.ā€ He seemingly does not care. He shouldnā€™t, and I just donā€™t think it matters anyway. His companyā€¦his choice. Iā€™m glad to know his customer service is great, according to GregPā€™s post.

Very interesting about the bearing itself, GregP. Itā€™s nice to see some people who have used it chiming in on this. It sounds very consistent with what Iā€™ve heard elsewhere. Overall, a good review, so it seems worth checking out in the end, not immediately, but eventually. It seems those with any issues can contact FJH to have the issue resolved then. No perfect product exists anyway.

I had a terrapin bearing come with my STYY Bandit. It is the best bearing Iā€™ve owned and I plan on getting some more for my other throws. This compared to 10 ball one drops, AIGR, and center trac. Iā€™ve rotated them through my throws to compare them, albatross, bandit, and cascade. They seem to spin longer on my rudimentary non-scientific comparison and I like their feel. I also enjoy the fact that I donā€™t need to oil them. That being said I have been in no hurry to replace my other bearings, just plan on ding it.

You missed the point. The above are actual facts, not exaggerations expressed as irrefutable fact.

This topic just was put up to alert people that the TX S/C now on YYE are the 10 ball ceramics.
Unlike the first 50 8 ball I sent a while agoā€¦
I do not know nor care how it got so far south.
Itā€™s nice to see what the players who actually have one say.
YYE also now has TX DryPlay lube

Okā€¦ So I have a Dif Ceramic Kk and a Terrapin X. After testing them in different throws, I found out that a bearing is not necessarily better than the other it depends on the throw. My Chief plays better with the CKK and My Arctic Circle plays better with the Terrapin. Just try different bearings with different throws to see what is best. I love the Terrapin bearing, and I plan to be ordering more in the future. I cannot explain it, but it actually makes my throws a little more floaty. Very long spins. Excellent bearing.

Itā€™s nice to hear from the people who actually have one or twoā€¦
Thanks

1 Like

When he won the WYYC three times in a row he used a Speeder with a KK and shims.

I am in way to good of a mindset to listen to these arguments but I can say this
I received 2 wing cut terrapin bearings a s/c one and a regular steel one in a trade and I havenā€™t used anything since, and the funny thing is I have over 15 brand we never used 10 ball Buddha bearings, I figured at 3$ a pop canā€™t go wrong but terrapin is where itā€™s at

THESE AMAZING BEARINGS, its that simple. Iā€™ve always used bearings with grooves but with the wingcut there IS NO NEED I literally have been switching these 2 terrapin bearings into whatever Yoyo I feel like throwing. Iā€™m gonna be selling the 30+ KKs,ceramic, CTā€™s,Buddha 10 balls, OD 10 balls, crucial grooved, trifecta 10 ballā€¦: every single bearing I have Iā€™m going to get rid of to buy wing cuts, personally if you donā€™t own one, well then I urge you to do so because theyā€™re the deleted I said a bad word lol. Anyways Itā€™s crazy to me how a bearing that looks flat can center the string so well, I canā€™t wait to sell all these junk bearings to cop me some more terrapin bearings.

1 Like