Terrapin X bearings on YYE

I know you live on this fourm. sorry. I hve sent my bearings to many top players, including the 3 time world champ. As it states in my add: for advanced players…

That is perfect. I am so totally not talented when it comes to yoyo play. :slight_smile:

While I hear your opinion loud and clear; the fact is that certain models such as the Sleipnir are markedly better with U-groove bearings. It is not a matter of preference, just the way the yoyo was designed.

I understand that the Dif-E-Yo KK/Terrapin bearings would cost a bit more. Any chance we will ever see them? Or, is doing it myself with the Dry-Lube kit just as good? Thanks.

Fjh123, I really think you offer a good product and one that has a market niche to fill for our hobby. In the same way that people spend extra to buy premium string or yoyos, it’s good to be able to offer premium bearings as well.

However, I don’t understand why you insist on posting inflammatory, blanket posts such as ‘talented players don’t use grooved bearings’. Such a statement only serves to polarize people against you and doesn’t help you sell more product. It’s not doing your company any favors.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but just focus on delivering good products at good prices and marry this with positive messaging.

8 Likes

I guess Mickey isn’t talented then…

He has 5 TX S/C’s…

1 Like

Alrighty, they’re treated with something. Very glad I didn’t offer to eat my hat over it; my hats generally get sweaty and covered in dog hair (lovely, I know). That wouldn’t be tasty at all. :slight_smile:

My thoughts. I own several original ceramic KK size C bearings. (around 6 I think). I bought them and de-shielded them. Per the instructions on the sight I used compressed air and spun them (on a wooden chopstick which I find perfect for this). No lube, just blew them out.

The yo-yos that I’ve put them in are my carry around metal yo-yos. An M1, Aussie 888, Bape, and an Entheos. (a couple others that escape me…)

I’m not a top player let alone a top three player but I do like to yo-yo.

@fjh - Your posts here have caused me to shy away from buying your bearings.

Again… my two cents.

I understand the irritation (of all people I should understand…) - but please lets separate the opinions of an individual, speaking their mind, from the products offered. I do not think many people these days would appreciate Thomas Edison’s politics, but we all use his light bulbs.

My two cents.

Ok, Mickey has a bunch, but that does not mean anything. Not to start a war or anything.
It’s not because he has some… What does he and other pro player have to say about them, and flat bearings vs. others in general…

I completely agree on this. The guy is on here trying to sell bearings. Bearings, which are about the size of a dime, for $25. It seems an incredible task, even for a product apparently as good as his product is. I appreciate if someone seems a bit arrogant about the quality of the product. I think it is brilliant marketing, if he can back up what he says. It’s like Muhammad Ali once did in boxing, because sometimes playing the villain sells. And as many people are rooting for the bad guy in wrestling as the good guy. Not everyone has to have this squeaky clean, friendly, nice nice image to sell a product. I personally don’t think his comments necessarily distract from his product. His comments make me wonder if he can back up what he says with the quality of the bearing. The only one who knows if his forum image and posts are hurting the sales of his product…is him. They seem to be selling, and whether you agree with his marketing tactics or not, I personally think they are brilliant. I have learned to separate this “online persona” from the quality of a product. He is just in the business of selling his products, and to get you to buy his bearings, and perhaps even tell you why he thinks his product is better than the competition. I have no problem with that. I am especially curious about someone so confident in their brand. He may have just sold one to me. Whatever with the goody goody image, works for some, not for all. Confidence does not intimidate me. I find it entertaining. I like to see if someone can back up what they say. There is a lot of positive feedback on his product, and he has a right to his opinion. He is hurting no one. The owner of the KK can defend his product if he chooses, and can handle that on his own. But this thread is about the Terrapin bearing and the guy has his right to speak his mind on it, like it or not.

2 Likes

Say whatever you want business man. I like your bearings. Self lubricating plastic have been out for years and have long ago replaced metal on metal products and o-rings. It’s about time they become common place in bearings: way to make a product.

Studio42.

Can you please explain this? :smiley: Or at least a link? I don’t mind reading a lot, this “self lubricating plastic” intrigues me and I’m really curious about what its place is when talking about ceramic bearings (I’m not flaming nor ironic in the least bit, I’m really curious)

Thanks!

Just bought a wing cut. I own a ceramic kk. Lets see how it stacks up.

Self lubricating is a term used like self healing cutting boards. The plastic isn’t lubing itself up. It’s describing a way to imagine the interaction between a plastic and a metal surface. In both C/S and S/S the bearing is wearing down with use. You can use a rubber mallet or hammer as another example. You could say the rubber mallet is a self padded mallet when in reality the mallet is giving (softer than) before the surface being struck.

Self lubricating…?
How funny is that…

He said no player that he knows lol, what’s wrong with that? Maybe the reason no player he knows used u type bearings because they’ve all switched to terrapin? Personally I love S/C bearings, I use the dry lube by terrapin, but I cannot afford to buy s/c bearings for 25$ even tho I would pay that over the price of a ceramic KK anyday, FJH didn’t offend me by saying what he did about Utype bearings. Just like everyone else he has a right to his own opinion. Plus what the other guy said is right the confidence he shows in his product makes me want to buy it that much more. Ill be buying a wing cut s/c soon I think, or hope so. Lol

I’ve found that Terrapin bearings get gritty and loud after a little while despite all the glowing reviews that I read. I’m not sure what’s up with that.

That’s because just like any other bearing, they’re just as suceptible to the same environmental factors that plague other bearings. And it’s these factors that have a bigger impact on bearing performance and bearing life than anything to do with exotic bearing materials, bearing treatment, special lube, etc.

I have no doubt that out of the package, they spin longer/faster on average than other bearings. This is because fjh probably individually tests each bearing to make sure that you’re getting the cream of the crop.

But over time, it doesn’t matter how ‘frictionless’ your lube is. Until lube can repel the microscopic bits of dust and dirt that are an inherent part of the environment we throw in, all bearings will fail to the same problem, namely, junk that gets stuck in them. This is precisely why cleaning works 99% of the time on responsive, slow or noisy bearings. (Think about it… we are essentially raining down polyester dust as we rub a blasted aluminum surface against our strings at extremely high RPMs.)

As I said before, fjh has a good quality product. There are also some unique ones… I purchased a really nice set of Terrapin beefcaked size A bearings for my overly responsive MG. It was well priced and performs great.

That said, I’m personally not sold by the marketing. Perhaps some like the ‘bold claims’ approach employed by Terrapin, but for me, I’d rather be sold on actual results demonstrated by testing.

Jason

PS. Ironically, this debate on YYE is probably the best marketing fjh could ask for at the moment. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not the first person to use this description.  This uses the word polymer instead of plastic.

From simple google search of self lubricating bearings

Bearings
http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/12499/self-lubricating-bearings

Bushings
http://www.igus.com/default.asp?PAGE=IGLIDE&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gadUS63&c=US&L=en&gclid=CNTniruapLUCFcdDMgodqG0A2g

1 Like