String-Making - Tuts?

I’ve posted the link somewhere else before and none of the admins cared. It should be fine, especially since I’m not advertising the other forums store in any way.

Edit - Apparently they care now XD, PM me for the link, it helped me a lot when I was starting.

I made a few awhile back…

i made this with my GF last night, hope this helps  ;D

1 Like

Sorry I know I am a noob, but what is a “tut”?

TUT= Tutorial or a walk through on how to do something.

I feel that I should mention that you can make a string in just about any way you like, and that my method is nothing like the ones posted here. … Well not very close anyways. One day when I can get a friend with a decent camera to help me make a tutorial I will make one. In the mean time if you want to see my method Pm me, and I can try to get some quick step by step tuts to you.

1 Like

Quote for truth

Well, I have yet to watch the vids, but I have found my first thread types and colors, and have given them names. xD

Thanks for the tuts, and, I’m aware that you can do alot of things, but my main question now is, "How can I be sure it’s twisted just right - not too tight, not too loose?

Trial and error my friend. Watch my vid, it tells you lol thats why its there. I mean the only thing u can really do is just test. I mean u dont want to make it so tight it snaps, or just starts to curl all up. Or too loose that the strings arnt tight. honestly use 2 colors at first, that will help you. For me, i let the string pull about 10-12 inches. that seems good to me.

I’ll see if I can pm you the video of my snap test. it has worked really well for me. It’s a second step you can add to the experienced guess.

Ok I got some 100% poly thread and made my first string today.
Not the greatest, but it throws ok, so I am not upset.

What is it about poly that makes it good string?

Strength? Smoothness?

It seems a little unimaginative to limit ourselves to only these two materials.
I’m thinking silk, nylon, there are a lot of options.

poly My friend if you really want to take a walk on the wild side get some Singer fusion 70% poly 30% cotton. I feels like a normal poly, but it whips like a pro. You get a little woosh effect with it. Also I don’t know what all purpose polyester has in it, but that stuff is amazing. (These will cost about 50 cents per string in material, but they play way beyond anything I have ever used. You can also try mixing in Nylon covered Metallic string, for better whipping. If your feeling really daring you can try the nylon used in upulstry (Spelling?) Stuff is really tough, but it can do just about any whip you want. Then of course the always winner of thread that I like is Trilobal Polyester, or simply put embroidery polyester.

I’m still toying with silk nylon cotton and rayon. I like them, but right now I’m just doing some mix and max with those.

Thanks for the thorough response.
So you want something slick and stiff, but also flexible?

What about kevlar?

I gotta find some of that. I’m not a fan of the mass produced since it feels thicker than I like right now.

Just a quick disclaimer ( YES my Del Norte Double Wides are thicker than the Rayon strings, but I said NOW)

anywho I am toying with a few. Personally I am working on finding a sweet spot with cotton since old school loopers only use cotton.

Thanks Buddy Jim :slight_smile:

The string itself is multicolored. It’s a Multi-colored Spool, not separate threads :slight_smile:

To Morgoroth:

I’ve been experimenting with silk, rayon, nylon, triobial poly, normal poly, cotton, denim, and different thread companies. Like Buddy Jim, I like these thread types, but I’m still experimenting.

Just a warning, silk is CRAZY expensive. I forgot the exact amount, but It’s something like $5 for 100 yards. The best(In terms of play) poly thread I’ve found is $3 for a spool of over 2,500 yards.

But poly is an overall good yoyo string, it’s strong, whippy, soft, and lasts a long time. Other threads vary, some companies of, lets say, cotton make their cotton rough, some make their cotton soft-just keep experimenting with different thread types and companies and you’ll find a company that makes their thread just the way you like.

To everyone who is starting to make yoyo string, I gave mlewis38 some tips earlier:

Hope that helped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hhhhhmmmmm… I may have a lot to learn. ;D

Since i started this tread, I have learned so much guys thanks. I wanted to know has anyone acually looked at my string tut? What do u guys think, anything need to be improved? besides for me needing a tripod and a cam w/o a broken screen haha. So I bought some more string, got 5000 yards of black 100% Spun Poly. Its ok i dont care for it much, once you play with it, it starts to stretch a bit and gets stiff but hell it was $1.99 lol. Also I found a GOLD Mind! So i was at Wal-mart with the woman and we walked throught the sewing section and i found some Gray thread, well i just got my Gray DV888 today (which im STOKED about) simply the best yoyo ive ever owned! lol any ways… i found some gray thread which matches my yoyo. So i made some string out of it, I used 11 threads, and its the perfect thickness, very soft, Amazing for whips. The string is called "Coats & Clark All purpose 100% polly. Its the best string ive made in my eyes. It has a bit of a shine to it. Its great! Also i wanted to ask so when u guys make your string, how many threads do yall use? usually ill use between 10 to 12, still toying around with it. Also for the past week I just cant get the tightness down, 9/10 times its too tight, and i really dont have a way of measure to see how tight the string goes, with my trill from front to back its about 10 inches. So when i make my string ill pull the string tight until the front of the hook lines up with the door jam, and ill spin it and it will pull until l the back of the drill is about 2 inches away from the jam, so ill drill/spin it for about a foot, i mean that seems to do the trick, but the twists are really close, tighter then regular string u buy. For some reason i just cant get it down, so can u guys give me some suggestions on how tight yall make the string? What do u use to judge the length that the string pulls? do u have like a mark? or just eyeball it like me? Also I wanted to know the brand of thread they use for like slick 6 or something, because its slick 6 because they use only 6 threads obviously lol, but if i was to use 6 threads, the string would be 50% smaller then normal stuff i need to use around 12 threads to make it the same thickness. So i cut up a slick 6 string and i noticed that the thread was about 3x larger then all the thread i have? so pretty much i wanted to know, how many strings do yall use? and how tight do u let the string pull. I use 10-12 strings, and let it pull about a foot or so. So i can get this down, id love to have some people test it, or even do a trade with one of yall so we can compare strings. Thanks! sorry for the long post.

Woah, ok. Lets start at the beginning.

1. “how many threads do yall use?” This question really needs to be reworded, not trying to be mean just saying your question doesn’t make much sense considering there are many many many different ways of doing it and also if you are only using one color you’re really only using 1 thread (it’s just wrapped around 2 points a number of times). So i assume by “how many threads” you mean, “how many times it’s overlapped”. In your case, to get the number/type for the string you made, just count the number of times you overlapped the string (about 10 or 12 like you said) and cut that number in half. So 12 wraps is Type 6 and so on and so forth.

2. Tightness, “9/10 times its too tight”, once again there are different ways of doing it but in your case a mark on the wall and trial and error will work fine. Make a couple of marks at different distances and then stop twisting at each of them, which ever one you like the most is your stopping point.

Hope that helps a bit.

Greetings true believers! I’ve always wanted to say that… err type it. I have some real choppy footage of how I make my strings, and I am currently trying to put it in photobucket. It’s sideways most of the time and has static, and I will re shoot at some point in the future, but for now if you want to see how I make string shoot me a PM, and I’ll send you a link.