Spencer Berry's Walter?

My sentiments exactly lol. Let this one be for the Bad@$$'s

I wonder how good they are for looping?

Terrible. My collarbone can back this up.

3 Likes

You gotta love the vid where Spencer is defending his head with both arms and hands every time the Walter passes overhead.

Right now the sharp edges of my lightweight Eh are frightening enough, canā€™t imagine spring loaded hard coated aluminum beaming towards my cranium and extremities. Looks awesome, though. Iā€™m just not worthy.

1 Like

I have a clean 10Ball in mine and it plays perfect unresponsive.

Yes, as quoted in my response for the purposes of explaining; You can

but the point is itā€™s made for responsive play. He didnā€™t make it for people to play unresponsive. Iā€™m pretty sure he would be disappointed to see people trying to make/play it unresponsive. Admittedly I am scared to play it responsive. That was the gist of my post, not to say this yoyo cannot be unresponsive.

Againā€¦ these are quotes from Spencer Berryā€™s Website, aka words from his mouth;

If you wanna play it unresponsive, heyā€¦ itā€™s your yoyo, do as you please. I was just trying to explain somethingā€¦ Berry doesnā€™t want it to be a collectors piece, he wants it to be beat to the ground the responsive way.

Where are these available?

I agree. This yoyo is only for the most hardcore throwers who are ready to have some bleeding knuckles and some fun times. I think it should be against the law to have such a perfect catchy yoyo to be soiled with unresponsive play. I canā€™t wait for it!

kind of bumping this thread up a bit but I still wanted to let you guys know that Iā€™m currently editing an interview with Spencer about Walter. We sat down last Sunday and talked for over 45 min via Skype so thereā€™s a lot of footage I need to go through. In the meantime, hereā€™s a little teaser trailer already:

Kind of over-dramatizing, I know, but I wanted to throw something together quickly. And since Iā€™m not a pro at stuff like thisā€¦ :wink:

Am I crazy, or does that look a lot like a slimmer styy bandit?

Probably more like a flared Silver Bullet ;D

That was my first impression. I was thinking about throwing in a slim bearing in the bandit to see how it works.

I really like responsive throws. I started out throwing loopers. But I own other metal responsive throws and they destroy my hands even if I catch it smoothly. My palms are pink after playing for a half hour. I love TMBR wood throws, but sorry. I canā€™t see myself paying over 100 bucks to smash up my fingers.

Iā€™ve already stopped paying more than $100 for any kind of yoyo. Iā€™d pay $40 for a responsive throw, tops, even if it was carved by elves.

3 Likes

I love my Walter. I havent had it a week yet and already had to silicone it again. He rips so hard. The funnest yoyo Iā€™ve played in a long time, by far. So awesome I want another! And I donā€™t own any duplicates besides looper pairs.

Really, if your good enough at regens, there is no need to catch this or any other yoyo.

you need to catch it eventuallyā€¦

Anyone know of a similar Yoyo thatā€™s plastic or wooden with bearing? I like the idea but I donā€™t want bloody knuckles especially from a Yoyo lol

A wooden/plastic one can still give ya bloody knuckles. Might as well go all out

2 Likes

Forget buying it for a collection, I really really want to buy one to throw around with abandon the way I did when I first got into throwing back in my teens! I love absolutely everything about this throw, from the intention of building to the actual product!

1 Like

Hey folksā€¦ I just got Walter last week. I really dig it. It plays a lot like I wanted my yo-yos to play in 1998: smooth on the string, large bearing, smooth finish, subtle curvature, inconspicuously thin body, tug response. The world is a different place now, though, and a lot of people are taking this yoyo as the emanation of a new conceptā€”theyā€™ve taken it as unique. Well, thatā€™s true in some respects and false in others. The truth is: old concepts become new ones when you apply them in different contexts. That is: Walter is a modern interpretation of an old pocket slimline yoyo. Heā€™s an attempt to do an old thing with new methods.

Walterā€™s body is similar to Tom Kuhnā€™s SB2, but with a smaller diameter, wider gap, and a soft butterfly taper. Walter uses a large bearing that has been recessed a little and uses deeper silicone recesses for thick stickers (or flowable silicone). All of these conveniences allow Walter to play in a way that is distinctly smoothā€”distinctly modern. The roots of Walterā€™s design allow him to serve the same function all the classic yoyos served way back when: they were versatile. Yes. A responsive yoyo allows you to regen the same way Jason Lee did back in the day: with a flyaway.

ā€¦and yeah. Walter will hit you in the f-ing knuckles, just like his predecessors. This is what it was like for us. He has only hit me a few times in the last couple weeksā€”Iā€™m getting used to responsive play again. Maybe youā€™ll get used to it too.

3 Likes