So, what kind of string do you use?

So in the absence of neon yellow YYSL strings (Type X or Plutonium, to be precise), what would be the recommended alternative?

OOOOOOH SILK. Can we talk about how awesome that is. If I could find the right bulk, right type etc I would have an entire line of that. It has the potential to be one of the it strings, but it’s just hard to sustain.

2 Likes

Other exotics not discussed here: kevlar.

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/search?q=kevlar%20string

Haha yeah, the silk I bought was like a weird grayish color. I didn’t want to waste a lot of money if it wasn’t going to work well, but it did make a decent string.

I use cotton strings every day. :smile:

Right but you have to or the strings melt. Different requirement :wink:

I’d give it a spin. I’ve often thought about it, but never pulled the trigger

Cotton can be used for unresponsive play although no one does it anymore. Toxic Strings made a string called Lacers a few years back. They had the look and feel of poly, but 100% cotton. Not sure the ‘recipe’ or type of cotton, but it can be done.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m done with cotton string after throwing a Luftverk Daytona and having it fly across the room, and the tile floor.

That … was not a good day.

(And that was 50/50 cotton poly too!)

I remember those. I never tried them, I always wondered how long they lasted before they snapped

1 Like

My guess was mercerized cotton

It is generally pretty chill around here but one rule we do need to enforce is no direct linking to other yo-yo stores please. This is yoyoexpert and hosted on their dime and all :wink:

3 Likes

Sooooo… No economy for you then. Well theres 10 things I could persuade you towards.

Hands down, no questions asked Heart Strings “The White.” The closest thing to a perfect string I have ever used.

Honorable mention: Big Bang Bandalores String Theory

Favorite Bulk Strings (rarely use): Kitty Nylon 1.5 and Werrd Blue Print

2 Likes

Double reed family! I play bassoon😁

We are clearly drawn to things that are masochistically challenging…

Anybody heard of tabby strings before? If you ever want something fun and unique, tabby strings are BY FAR the strangest strings I’ve ever used.

1 Like

Nope, never heard of them. What are they like?

The feel of the string when not in play is something like a rubber band made of velvet. Almost unreasonably bouncy, and softer than anything I’ve used. Then in play, it’s VERY whippy. Nice heavy string as well, makes it easy to direct. The rubber band thing kinda comes into play as well, whenever you do a slack trick, it feels like the string moves way faster than you intended it to. It also never gets string tension… At all. I don’t know how, but the string never crosses over itself, no matter what you do with it.

It also grows a sick afro after you cut it, so THAT’S always a plus :joy:

2 Likes