Small and round like Sparrow or 888 and good for chopsticks

Looking for recommendations for something new, please. Nothing big and angular.

Thinking of undersized organic yoyos. Specifically because they are nice for chopsticks. Especially interested in more unique-feeling throws like maybe a smaller Quail or a smaller OG Puffin with more stability.

Haves (with notes):
09 888, great size but I’d like it floatier and with a more unique feel
Sparrow, great size and float but sometimes I want more spin power and a tighter gap
Quail, nice spin and float and gap (sometimes too tight) and uniqueness but I want it smaller
YYR Fragment, unique feel but too angular for hand contact during sloppy chopsticks moves
OG Puffin, unique feel and nimbleness but wish it was slightly smaller and more stable

Wants that I’m curious about since a long time (never thrown):
Marmot series, size stability and float?
Werrd Pacquiao, too light?
07 888, redundant if I have 09 or 08 888, or are these that much more magical?

2 Likes

09 has much higher walls over the 08 and 07. The prior versions play significantly better. The pacquiao is mostly annoying because it takes .555 pads. Marmot was solid and something I enjoyed but not at the same level of the 888 with it’s feel in hand.

It’s not the roundest but the huatian banshee was undersized and very stable due to it’s bimetal nature.

I’ve also heard good things about the euphonious by anomaly yoyos and if you don’t have a spending limit it might be worth checking out the sputnik as well.

3 Likes

Have you tried a Murmur yet? Not too too undersized, but doesn’t feel big. Lightweight with good stability, I like it quite a bit.

3 Likes

Also forgot but 100% check out the confluence

5 Likes

Did you think about a Slim Dunk? Heard many good things about it.

2 Likes

I think this fits Beezy’s requirements very well. It’s slightly smaller than the Quail, but a lot more stable and powerful.

Good call @sparhawk

1 Like

Look at Zeekio Alpha steel. It is smaller and lighter than your 888, but feels solid and tight. It is affordable, made of steel, and does nice ding sound when hit by string or by fingernail :smiley:

2 Likes

Here are a couple that are available at YYE ;

3 Likes

I second the Confluence and Essence as well. Great choices.

4 Likes

For a cheap amazing throw I would r commend the yoyoempire little fox

2 Likes

parlay, magic yoyo avocado

2 Likes

skyline… very 888 esque

2 Likes

also the Marmont is awesome, id argue one of the best yoyos ever rebased, its small and floaty, with an altered organic profile! if you can fine one grab it

2 Likes

A ti888 plays a bit more floaty than the others, same with a small bearing 888 (they dont feel as dense as the rest of the 888 lineup) As long as you get something with low walls youll get that magical 888 feel people refer to.

Wooly marmot 1 plays more like an undersize peak and feels heavier, whereas the more fullsize woolymarmot 2 has that float akin to something like a chief or a saquatch in the clyw lineup. The a-rt furn is something you might like to try if you want that wm2 float with a smaller size, its right in that sweet spot for weight distro–super stable–although its also “tight” like the quail would be/comes semiresponsive out of the box.

1 Like

Wow, thanks everyone for the great recs. This helps me with my yoyo “retail therapy”. Looks like I have some homework to do, but good homework, to check through these to narrow things down. Plenty models I didn’t know about…

Ok so it’s an '08 888 I have, 7075 with the lower walls. But I still don’t know the OG '07 feel with the lighter aluminum. Guess I’ll always wonder until I finally get one.

Great to know about the Pacquiao. Bummber, I don’t like pads like that.

Out of the rest, the Huatian has a super nice profile, didn’t know it, I forgot the Sputnick was undersized (but pricey - YYR!), but the Anomaly Yoyos Euphonious with its 48mm diameter and D bearing is most along the lines of what I’m after. Wish it was stocked more widely, though.

Great profile and weight, but maybe a bit too big at 54mm.

53mm and bimetal organic… I’m intrigued. Never tried one like this.

I’ve been eyeing the Dunks for a minute. They seem great. Just a little big (~54mm) for what I’m after.

Woah… steel, 45mm, and D bearing. I’m intrigued!

Out of those, the Skyline at 50.4mm would be great, actually. Might get one of those plus something else.

Essence and California are too big, at 54mm and 55m, though I’ve always thought of getting another General Yo one day (red Essence looks great).

Appreciate the recommendation - looks like a real player, just too angular for what I’m looking for.

Indeed, I’ve been eyeing both of these for some time - great shapes. Parlay at 54mm is my old school “full size”, and the Avocado goes more towards the undersized that I’m looking for.

Hmmm… small bearing 888, yeah I think I’d like that. There are '07 small bearing 888s?

The Marmot and Furn, I have my eye out for, for sure. Would love to find a non-collectible Marmot to throw. Furn, we’ll see about the upcoming drops.

1 Like

OD Nitro is what you want!

3 Likes

50/50 coming soon! You’ll wanna check it out

1 Like

There were many small bearing 07 888’s. Just keep in mind they took shallow pads unlike the large bearings that took silicone.

I will say I enjoyed the 07 over the 08’s myself as well since the lighter weight didn’t make it feel like you were having to push the yoyo.

2 Likes

Thanks again gang. For now I went with a couple things YYE had in stock, but I was pleased to learn about yoyos I didn’t know about and stuff I’ll be keeping an eye out for in the future.

So I just put my YYE order in for a Yoyofactory Skyline and a General Yo Essence

Dylan Kowalski’s youtube review of the Skyline totally convinced me, due to my interest in the 888, that I had to have a Skyline:

That takes care of my undersized needs for the moment (still keeping an eye out for the 50/50, Furn, Marmot, Zeekio Alpha Steel, and Anomaly Yoyos Euphonious, though). Then, the Essence, though not undersized (at least by prior years’ standards), just screams that it is something I will enjoy, based on shape and specs.

Cheers :partying_face:

3 Likes

both yoyos i have also bought in the last week haha, although i already owned some skylines i wanted one more! essence is a little larger but still amazing! you’ll be happy

2 Likes