I’ve made an amazing discovery that I am positive will prove to be quite useful for a large percentage of you guys to hear about.
The basic idea is to use the heat/UV light that is emitted from a blacklight bulb to reduce the time required to achieve fully cured silicone.
I thought of this idea because one half of my Draupnir had grabby response, so I had to replace it, and I wondered if UV rays/heat could speed up the process. At about 11:00 PM, I ripped out the old response and poured in some fresh RTV. This stuff is what most of you are already using; it smells like vinegar when curing and takes 12-24 hours to dry.
This blacklight is one I found at Home Depot in their lighting section. I believe it cost somewhere around 8 USD.
11:15 PM - Outer layer of silicone already dry, rubbed the excess off
11:40 PM - Most of the vinegar smell is mostly gone, looks good!
12:00 AM - Hour of truth, no trace of vinegar smell, couple of test throws…
Plays perfectly, doesn’t rip out. I unscrewed it again and poked at the older, fully-cured silicone on the old half and the brand-new, 1hour-cured silicone on the new half. They felt exactly the same in terms of toughness and solidity. Nothing oozed out from under the pad, nothing broke or ripped… I have to say, I’m quite amazed at the results.
Now the only thing that could top this is if I could acquire a stronger blacklight bulb. That could speed things up even more, and I’m hoping to get total curing time under 20 minutes.
Let me know your thoughts!