Shutter vs horizon

• SHUTTER
  • HORIZON

0 voters

ok right off the back its 50% to 50%

I think the phrase is “right off the bat” as in a baseball bat.

“Right off the bat it looked like a foul ball”

1 Like

No contest, Horizon isn’t as versatile a yo-yo as the Shutter.

2 Likes

Yeah just waiting for my TiVayder to arrive so I can make my next YYE order, a Shutter and Replay Pro.

No contest indeed. When it comes to power and stability, the Horizon will beat the Shutter all day every day. When talking about performance, stability is the best quality a yo-yo can have.

I love Paul Kerbel, but just don’t care for hard V shape throws

1 Like

Can’t go wrong w/ either.

Nevertheless, I am a Shutter man mahself.

3 Likes

Actually, they are completely different throws. I never understood why people like to compare them. The only thing they have in common is a similar price. Perhaps that’s the reason. If possible, it’s always a good idea to try both.

2 Likes

When opting for their first budget yoyofactory metal, it usually comes down to those two because of their price and the popularity of the signature player using them, thus is why these two yoyos are the first to pop up in one’s mind when selecting a first time budget metal. Most new players might only have the money for one and might want to know what to get the most of their moneys worth from. Another thing is not everyone has a local yoyo store that sells these two products to try each one out, so what they receive from the mail is what they are gonna stick with for a while.

3 Likes

In the end it really comes down to:
Is this your first budget metal?

If yes its the Shutter

If no then thats where preference can really come into play such as whether or not you prefer hard V shapes or really want that extra spin time and stability to convince you to buy a Horizon, but by then you would have to try out different shapes or the yoyos themselves to really make a decision between which one to settle on purchasing in that price range.

Stability without speed does not result in a competitive yo-yo.

All you are going to find out here is what the people that respond to your poll like. Buy a beater Shutter and a Horizon as cheap as you can on the BST, then trade them if you don’t care for one or the other.
BTW, the Horizon is better in all measurable ways, but for some reason, most people have their own, sometimes crazy, opinions about that.

1 Like

The Horizon is by no means a “slow” yo-yo.

Idk if mines bearing is bunk or what but my horizon’s spin time doesnt reach what alot of my other yoyos can

Maybe it isn’t, but my point was really just that stability alone is not the marking of a competitive yo-yo. Speed, stability and spin time together are the primary attributes, and these attributes can sometimes each come at the cost of the other. I remember reading that Gentry specifically pushed in some weight to the center of the Shutter for the sake of stability at the cost of some spin time.

1 Like

I have both, like everybody I think :sweat_smile:
Shutter for me is a very meaningfull yoyo because was my first throw when I restarted with this hobby and it’s the yoyo that I used for learning most of the trick I know.
When I got a Horizon I exactly remember the first time I throw it. It was so light and perfect on the string!
I voted the Horizon cause i think it got more “personality”.
The Shutter is IMO the most balanced throw I ever tried.

3 Likes

Shutter is a better yo-yo, objectively.

looks like the shutter is winning

There is no “winner” in the end. It’s all preference, so just because everyone loves one yoyo doesn’t mean you specifically have to.

1 Like